Rodney King dead at 47

Hangman

Sad news. Last night it was reported that after the riots broke out after the acquittals a prepared statement was given to him. But he did not want to read others words, leading what should be more of an iconic statement in race relations that apparently came from his heart:

"Can we all get along?"

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another voice of reason coming out of someone who was on the wrong end of racially motivated violence.

[video=youtube_share;M5UGiTIirKw]http://youtu.be/M5UGiTIirKw?t=1m12s

It took some searching, but I was able to find this. It's a recent re-posting of an original interview that I saw 10 years ago when the NBC nightly news picked up this story and aired the interview. I really wanted to post it, because I'll admit, I was largely upset for a long time about this truck driver whose name has gone almost completely forgotten over the last 20 years. His beating was, in a lot of ways, more severe and more blindly an issue of race than Rodney King's was. ..still, hearing these comments several years ago from Mr. Denny truly changed the way I felt about it.

Here's another voice of reason coming out of someone who was on the wrong end of racially motivated violence.

It took some searching, but I was able to find this. It's a recent re-posting of an original interview that I saw 10 years ago when the NBC nightly news picked up this story and aired the interview. I really wanted to post it, because I'll admit, I was largely upset for a long time about this truck driver whose name has gone almost completely forgotten over the last 20 years. His beating was, in a lot of ways, more severe and more blindly an issue of race than Rodney King's was. ..still, hearing these comments several years ago from Mr. Denny truly changed the way I felt about it.

I was younger at the time of the riots so I only vaguely remember it. About a year ago I saw an interview with some of the people involved with the truck driver and how stupid those people were for attacking him.

Thanks for posting this, I hadn't seen it before.

• 2 months later...

Looks like his old vices came back to haunt him...

Rodney King had PCP, cocaine in system at time of death | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com

Authorities have determined Rodney King's death was an accidental drowning, but that he had numerous drugs such as PCP, cocaine and marijuana in his system when he died...

...Police said in addition to illegal drugs, King also had a blood-alcohol level of .06 percent.

That's a real shocker! By the way, I'm still not sure why I got pulled over the other day and only had one officer (who I referred to as sir) write my ticket. Mr. King had 15 men in uniform there when hen was beaten. Must have been a slow night?

That's a real shocker! By the way, I'm still not sure why I got pulled over the other day and only had one officer (who I referred to as sir) write my ticket. Mr. King had 15 men in uniform there when hen was beaten. Must have been a slow night?

Might have had something to do with him running and fighting the police.

Btw if you are looking for something to be offended by I don't think you will get it here ole buddy. My point, which I thought was obvious, is that more police will respond when someone is running/fighting/driving DUI vs a "routine" traffic stop.