Rodney King dead at 47

Hangman

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Rodney King, whose beating by Los Angeles police in 1991 was caught on camera and sparked riots after the acquittal of the four officers involved, was found dead in his swimming pool Sunday, authorities and his fiancee said. He was 47.

Police in Rialto, California, received a 911 call from King's fiancee, Cynthia Kelly, about 5:25 a.m., said Capt. Randy DeAnda. Responding officers found King at the bottom of the pool, removed him and attempted to revive him. He was pronounced dead at a local hospital, DeAnda said.

There were no preliminary signs of foul play, he said, and no obvious injuries on King's body. Police are conducting a drowning investigation, DeAnda said, and King's body would be autopsied.

Rodney King dead at 47 - CNN.com

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to hear this. Rodney King had to go through more than what most of us could ever handle. Not only with the 92' incident itself, but the life he has had to live since. Saw him on one of those Celebrity Rehabs one season and you can tell his life has been pretty shattered and broken all because of what happened. He got the notoriety and fame, but he had it all in a negative way. People knew Rodney King, but they knew him as the dude that got beat down by the LAPD, and that's all they knew him for. Hopefully he can now finally have some peace.

TMZ is saying his fiancee claims Rodney was drinking much of the day/night and was smoking marijuana shortly before she found him.

I'd have been shocked if he was sober at the time.

Word. I am guessing too much to drink/smoke in a pool was likely a factor in this one, really sad.

I'd have been shocked if he was sober at the time.

Word. I am guessing too much to drink/smoke in a pool was likely a factor in this one, really sad.

After watching him on Celebrity Rehab that is my thoughts as well. Drinking and pool never really go together. I would imagine he just had a little too much and passed out, not the place you really want to pass out.

I became fond of RK during the rehab show. If he was a jerk then they did one hell of a job editing.

Exactly why I hated to hear this. Seemed like a genuinely good guy with a big heart. You can tell he has had to live a tough life being he was famous, but famous for all the wrong reasons.

Sad news indeed. Looking forward to the autopsy. In a pool at 5:25am and foul play isn't suspected? Not a good sign.

TMZ is saying his fiancee claims Rodney was drinking much of the day/night and was smoking marijuana shortly before she found him.

First thing I thought when it said that there wasn't any foul play. Had to be alcohol/drugs involved. Shame.

Strange, this song was the first thing that popped in to my head yesterday when I heard about his death. Hearing Ben Harper live sing this song it does not take much to get it in my head.

My second thought was Brandon Frasier yelling "Rod-ney King" in Airheads.