Is Thug a racial term?

TAC

I am not sure where we as a culture are going with racial sensitivity. I know as a white person there is often a lot of hesitancy out of fear of saying the wrong thing. I think every white person will agree with me. That is NOT a good thing. While we do not want to ever say the wrong thing to offend other groups, the quick to jump to the "must be a racist comment" label I think goes a bit overboard. I believe a lot of minorities even realize the fear side of white people of saying the wrong thing.

All I know is that BGP is a great avenue to discuss many of these things which we have been doing a lot of lately.

No doubt. It is better to find out what is and isn't acceptable than to innocently say the wrong thing to the wrong people. Simple rule to follow...if you feel hesitant to say it then don't say it until you find out if it is okay. That's how I roll. That's why I was glad to actually see a thread by mountainref that made sense...the Black or African-American thread. If you don't know...ask. We'll never advance united if we aren't making an effort to understand each other.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you explain, I am curious to hear your differences between the two.

A punk is someone who runs off at the mouth with no regard to what they say and who they say it to. All talk no action. Non violent. Bully.

A thug is someone who is violent with no regard for the law or human life. A thug is someone to fear and likely packs a gun that they would use without hesitation. This is why I can't call Artest a thug.

No doubt. It is better to find out what is and isn't acceptable than to innocently say the wrong thing to the wrong people. Simple rule to follow...if you feel hesitant to say it then don't say it until you find out if it is okay. That's how I roll. That's why I was glad to actually see a thread by mountainref that made sense...the Black or African-American thread. If you don't know...ask. We'll never advance united if we aren't making an effort to understand each other.

And I agree with all of that. But on the flip side I think there needs a bit more acceptance not to fly off the handle if an unintentional remark is made and lives are ruined because they are forever known as a racist. Stephen A. Smith had a great segment on this recently. It actually came about during your hero, Jeremy Lin's tidal wave. I will see if I can find it. I have myself worried now that the black guy I swim and bike with was offended when I told him a few weeks ago I could tell he is a lot better shape now :lol:

I'm sorry, I'm just not agreeing that this is racial or even a problem at all. Until this thread, I've never, and I mean never, heard anyone portray thug as black only. Sometimes what you perceive to be there, simply isn't.

When everybody is a victim, every term is derogatory. No wonder people stop talking. Not a shock to me. Texting and going on line is the way people communicate now.

It is an unintentional racial slur. It's never used on whites. It's like the old black joke about when you see a swollen, ripped up, muscular white guy, you assume he's been working out at a gym. But when you see a similarly built black guy, you assume he's been working out at a jail.

Much like mcpapa...I have used the word "thugs" many many times to describe the 7 guys who jumped my friend and I years back. Every one of them was white.

I think it is very fair point. By definition they are little different.

The online dictionary I am looking at defines thug: tough and violent man, especially a criminal; a punk is defined as: an aggressive and violent young criminal.

So by that, I pretty much read that a thug is just a mature punk? I guess some would think thug would carry more weight then.

A punk is someone who runs off at the mouth with no regard to what they say and who they say it to. All talk no action. Non violent. Bully.

A thug is someone who is violent with no regard for the law or human life. A thug is someone to fear and likely packs a gun that they would use without hesitation. This is why I can't call Artest a thug.

Maybe not mature...more threatening.

Thanks. Curious though, how do we know that Artest does or doesnt pack a gun? On the court obviously he doesnt, but off?

Haven't read the entire thread but nearly the entire rap industry, which is predominantly black, calls themselves thugs. I've heard black people call themselves thugs but never a white person.

If using the term "black" is offensive, I apologize. I'm at the point where I don't know what to call people. Black? African-American? Homosexuals? Gay? Indian? Native American? Chinese? Asian?

Thanks. Curious though, how do we know that Artest does or doesnt pack a gun? On the court obviously he doesnt, but off?

As far as I know he hasn't used a gun to commit a crime. I should have been more specific. I know plenty of people(all white) that pack guns everywhere they go and they are far from thugs.

Haven't read the entire thread but nearly the entire rap industry, which is predominantly black, calls themselves thugs. I've heard black people call themselves thugs but never a white person.

If using the term "black" is offensive, I apologize. I'm at the point where I don't know what to call people. Black? African-American? Homosexuals? Gay? Indian? Native American? Chinese? Asian?

No they don't. I'd even say that over half of the rap industry doesn't call themselves thugs.

And who said using the term black is offensive?

I'm sorry, I'm just not agreeing that this is racial or even a problem at all. Until this thread, I've never, and I mean never, heard anyone portray thug as black only. Sometimes what you perceive to be there, simply isn't.

You never heard of Huggs Thugs? And you're in NKY? Really?

I don't think it is a "problem." All I'm saying is that there is a racial undercurrent to the term.

And I agree with all of that. But on the flip side I think there needs a bit more acceptance not to fly off the handle if an unintentional remark is made and lives are ruined because they are forever known as a racist. Stephen A. Smith had a great segment on this recently. It actually came about during your hero, Jeremy Lin's tidal wave. I will see if I can find it. I have myself worried now that the black guy I swim and bike with was offended when I told him a few weeks ago I could tell he is a lot better shape now :lol:

I hear you. Just follow this thread though and how I have said repeatedly that the conversation began about the use of the word thug and how it pertains to the black athlete and see how the conversation even on here strays away from that single topic. As soon as black people say the words 'could be perceived as racist' the entire topic is lost in translation and no progress is made as evidenced by post #65.