Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is Thug a racial term?

Featured Replies

A thug is anyone who goes around bullying, pushing his weight around, treating others as inferiors.

Could be white,black, brown.

 

See post 26.

  • Replies 116
  • Views 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chip's conversation is pertaining to the constant labeling of black athletes as thugs. Not actual thugs.

 

Ok so are you saying these athletics didn't do something stupid/illegal/wrong to get labeled as a thug?

Ok so are you saying these athletics didn't do something stupid/illegal/wrong to get labeled as a thug?

 

Yes.

 

Stupid? Yes. Illegal? No. For me you need to knowingly do something illegal to get the thug label. Ron Artest is not a thug to me. Nor is Andrew Bynum. Or Dwyane Wade. But they have all done stupid things during a game.

Yes.

 

Stupid? Yes. Illegal? No. For me you need to knowingly do something illegal to get the thug label. Ron Artest is not a thug to me. Nor is Andrew Bynum. Or Dwyane Wade. But they have all done stupid things during a game.

 

 

Ok I can see where the legality of the event could change the meaning.

A thug is anyone who goes around bullying, pushing his weight around, treating others as inferiors.

Could be white,black, brown.

 

Thank you for stating a)the obvious and b)something no one has disagreed with and c)something irrelevant to the question posed.

 

We all know the definition of a thug. That's not being debated. It's the distribution of the word between the races.

 

Please do not fall into the trap of saying because Bill Laimbeer was once called a thug that the theory posed is invalid.

What is the percentage of blacks in the NBA, and major college basketball?

What is the percentage of blacks in the NBA, and major college basketball?

 

172%

Every black kid that played for Bob Huggins at UC. See Huggs Thugs...
Bob's always been "lovingly" referred to as Thuggins by many people I know. Most people I know only called the punks that played for him thugs.

I've used the term plenty of times, however, I've called whites that name probably as often as I've called blacks that, and I'm speaking of athletes. Well, truthfully, it doesn't come up as often in sports as in other walks of life. For me, that is.

Bob's always been "lovingly" referred to as Thuggins by many people I know.

 

Started with 92 team. Bunch of JUCOs wearing all black and jacked up like they were straight from the prison yard weight room. Bunch of good dudes on that team that have gone on to do very well for themselves... :thumb:

It is an unintentional racial slur. It's never used on whites. It's like the old black joke about when you see a swollen, ripped up, muscular white guy, you assume he's been working out at a gym. But when you see a similarly built balck guy, you assume he's been working out at a jail.

 

 

I had two co-workers label me a "thug" yesterday. It was very cold in the office so I put my sock hat on while I worked.

Never really considered it a racial term and I use it all the time without racial intent. It does sound like it's gained that connotation though.

I don't see it as racial. It doesn't matter if you are black, white, green, yellow or orange. Thugs come in all colors and sizes.

Started with 92 team. Bunch of JUCOs wearing all black and jacked up like they were straight from the prison yard weight room. Bunch of good dudes on that team that have gone on to do very well for themselves... :thumb:

 

See Corey Blount

The two terms I heard that are 98+% tied to blacks are "thug" and "athletic."

 

I don't think it's racist. It's just a term that whites now use to describe 1. mean black kids and 2. black basketball/football teams.

 

And unfortunately, "well-spoken". Like it's a big surprise.

See Corey Blount

 

Do you know Corey? He made a huge mistake and served his time. Plenty of bad guys that played for Huggs. Some would fully qualify as thugs. Corey isn't one of them in any fashion outside of trying to take the quick way out after a bad business deal cost him a decade plus worth of NBA earnings...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.