Why is everyone crying?

TheLastDon

Food for discussion--

It seems as though during every post game interview there has been someone from some team crying. When did this start happening? I know players have occasionally had a rough time when losing but coaches? I know they have just as much wrapped into the team as the players do, if not more, but really guys? Save the emotion for the banquet. Come out, talk about the game and move on. Maybe this is why there are only a few elite teams and coaches in sports. I would be willing to bet P. Jackson only cried tears of joy and probably not during a post game interview. Same goes with many other coaches. Anyway, I was thinking about this and figured who better to "debate" it out than the fine folks using BGP..

I'm not sure why we're surprised that coaches show emotion 10 minutes after their season ends and 10 minutes after the careers end for kids that became young men under them and are now hurting.

I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen more often.

Food for discussion--

It seems as though during every post game interview there has been someone from some team crying. When did this start happening? I know players have occasionally had a rough time when losing but coaches? I know they have just as much wrapped into the team as the players do, if not more, but really guys? Save the emotion for the banquet. Come out, talk about the game and move on. Maybe this is why there are only a few elite teams and coaches in sports. I would be willing to bet P. Jackson only cried tears of joy and probably not during a post game interview. Same goes with many other coaches. Anyway, I was thinking about this and figured who better to "debate" it out than the fine folks using BGP..

So basically your saying if a coach shows emotion, that means they are not a good coach? That is my take from this when you say that is why their are so few elite teams and coaches. I mean how do you know that some of these other coaches don't end up crying when talking to their players in the lockerroom before coming out on camera? Showing emotion one way or another does not make you a good or a bad coach. I know as a player I loved playing for coaches who showed emotion, and showed how much they cared for their team when I was growing up. It let you know the coach truly cared, and had your back.

You can't compare Phil Jackson to college coaches or players. In Pro Sports 'there's always next year.' You've obviously never played high school or college sports, because everyone (who put the time in) has that feeling after the final game of their career. As for the coaches its tough to see those kids career be over after the relationship you've built with them. These are amateur athletes, not professionals.

I couldn't help but make fun of Kevin Stallings when he cried after winning the SEC tournament, but I can relate to losing it during a press conference after a career-ending loss. You pour your heart & soul into a game and it all comes to such an abrupt end. And before it can even sink in, you've got a camera in your face asking you what went wrong.

Its okay to be emotional with your players. Hence the reference to the banquet. I also said I understand players/seniors because it could be the end of their playing. Im more talking about coaches. For any coach in the NCAA tourney, there is a next year. Nobody fires a coach for losing in the Dance. Coaches, who are grown ups, should be able to handle themselves in a professional manner during a press conference. I'm not saying they shouldn't be emotional, just stop the sobbing. I have played and coached (not elite yet) and have never cried after a game. I've been mad and upset but never to tears. Have you ever seen Calipari cry at a press conference after a game? Knight? Wooden? Riley (pat)? Anyway, just seems a little over the top to me.

Its okay to be emotional with your players. Hence the reference to the banquet. I also said I understand players/seniors because it could be the end of their playing. Im more talking about coaches. For any coach in the NCAA tourney, there is a next year. Nobody fires a coach for losing in the Dance. Coaches, who are grown ups, should be able to handle themselves in a professional manner during a press conference. I'm not saying they shouldn't be emotional, just stop the sobbing. I have played and coached (not elite yet) and have never cried after a game. I've been mad and upset but never to tears. Have you ever seen Calipari cry at a press conference after a game? Knight? Wooden? Riley (pat)? Anyway, just seems a little over the top to me.

Crying in a press conference, or crying in the locker room what difference does it make? I mean seriously? So a guy cries in a press conference, that means he is not as good of a coach then? Roy Williams in a crier and he may go down as one of the best coaches of all time by the time he is done, but since he cries does that make him less of a coach? As people have mentioned this is college! In the pro's after a season ends you won't know for sure if a guy is back, or if a guy is under contract you know he will. While in college if a guy is a senior who you been around with for four years, and have a good relationship with, it would be hard to see their dreams end up not coming true. It's not a bad thing that a coach feels for their kids, which a lot of the times is what has caused the crying for some of these coaches at press conferences. It's not like we have seen them crying saying, man I wanted this so bad for me, I deserved this. It's usually about talking about the players when these coaches have started to cry.