March 20, 201214 yr You can't compare Phil Jackson to college coaches or players. In Pro Sports 'there's always next year.' You've obviously never played high school or college sports, because everyone (who put the time in) has that feeling after the final game of their career. As for the coaches its tough to see those kids career be over after the relationship you've built with them. These are amateur athletes, not professionals. Hardest thing to do was leave the floor after losing in the regional finals of basketball. Second hardest thing, leaving the locker room.
March 20, 201214 yr Love it! Invest everything into something and see it come crashing down without reaching your goals. If it doesn't bring you to tears, you haven't invested enough. Agree 100%. I was an assistant coach for a HS Varsity softball team 2 years ago. We made it to Owensboro, but fell short of The ultimate goal. It had been a particular trying season for me off the field, and without the bond of my fellow coaches and the team, I may not have survived. It was a combination of all these things that caused me to breakdown after the game. All the long hours we had put in together, yet we come up just short. It is an emotional thing, so why not let that show? It's not like it's less manly.
March 22, 201214 yr Its okay to be emotional with your players. Hence the reference to the banquet. I also said I understand players/seniors because it could be the end of their playing. Im more talking about coaches. For any coach in the NCAA tourney, there is a next year. Nobody fires a coach for losing in the Dance. Coaches, who are grown ups, should be able to handle themselves in a professional manner during a press conference. I'm not saying they shouldn't be emotional, just stop the sobbing. I have played and coached (not elite yet) and have never cried after a game. I've been mad and upset but never to tears. Have you ever seen Calipari cry at a press conference after a game? Knight? Wooden? Riley (pat)? Anyway, just seems a little over the top to me. Pat Knight, yes...after the game vs Vermont, not tears, but you can definitely tell he was choked up. Bob Knight, no, not at a press conference; however, he was choked up after Pat's last home game at Indiana. "Pat Knight is my all-time favorite Indiana player."
March 22, 201214 yr Hardest thing to do was leave the floor after losing in the regional finals of basketball. Second hardest thing, leaving the locker room. We went back to our HS and into our locker room for the last time after we lost. It was really hard walking out of there.
March 22, 201214 yr I was pretty tore up after my last game. The school, on the other hand, was quite giddy.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.