I don't understand the logic behind this rocket science??

theguru

In football, the latest greatest idea is to go to six classes:

Click here for details on the six classes

If all the great powers that be believe we need six classes in football why is it all of them only believe we need one class in basketball? I never thought this was rocket science but it must be because it is over my head.

Anyone?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The same reason there's D-IA and D-IAA in college. The number dynamics are different for football than basketball. You can compete more with less in basketball.

And before anyone attacks me, that's the reasoning. It isn't my reasoning, necessarily.

Ram, I agree with that in part but if you need six classes in football wouldn't you need at least two or three in basketball?

Take a look at the final four each year as of late, they are all 3A and 4A schools except for Mason which was in the process of moving up to 3A.

Ram, I agree with that in part but if you need six classes in football wouldn't you need at least two or three in basketball?

Take a look at the final four each year as of late, they are all 3A and 4A schools except for Mason which was in the process of moving up to 3A.

And I agree with you there, as far as the logic goes. The answer isn't 6 classes in football anymore than it is 1 class in basketball.

Except in Basketball if you get one player like a Chris Lofton and some average players around him then any school in the state can win the state title. Football you need 6 or 7 really good players (maybe more) and then the rest have to be pretty good.

I moved this thread over from the basketball forum because no one over there seems too interested in it. I guess "fan rights" are much more important than doing the right thing. After all, if it is good for the goose (football) it should be good for the gander, right?

I moved this thread over from the basketball forum because no one over there seems too interested in it. I guess "fan rights" are much more important than doing the right thing. After all, if it is good for the goose (football) it should be good for the gander, right?

You don't mess with the golden monkey of the Sweet 16, I would believe is the answer. The history of the Sweet 16 in this state is held sacred by individuals who hold the purse strings.

You don't mess with the golden monkey of the Sweet 16, I would believe is the answer. The history of the Sweet 16 in this state is held sacred by individuals who hold the purse strings.

Agree.

Money talks. No one wants to mess with a money-maker despite what may be good for the students or schools.

I can see the reasoning for not messing with basketball, but I cannot understand why 6 classes in football would not lead to 3 classes in baseball, softball, soccer, volleyball. You can't cite money because a 3 class baseball tourney isn't going to make or lose any more money than a 1 class tourney.

I'll use this thread as my oppritunity to state that I'd rather see just one class in football. Would it be even for all? No. Will it ever be even for all. No.

As it is today 213 teams won't be champions, how much does it hurt to make 216 teams not champions and have the very best team in the state be able to have proof that they were the best team.

You could maintain the sweet sixteen and go to a 4A class system in basketball. Use the same regions as Football has now and all regional champions of each class go to the sweet sixteen. Each bracket having a 1A 2A 3A and 4A team in it.

But I would draw or predetermine like they donow where the teams would go. I would not so much keep it like football where you have an east and west showdown. Or maybe you could.