I don't understand the logic behind this rocket science??

theguru

I like the systems just like they are! In football, there is simply no need for 6 classes. I can see the need for 3 and even 4, but not 5 or 6. There are some 1A teams that can and do beat 4A teams, but with the larger schools, it comes down to exhaustion, not necessarily talent. A big 4A school that can run an O unit and a D unit on and off the field, will wear down a 1A school where most players have to play the entire game. So it is only fair to have a few classes to make it more even handed.

But in basketball, the small schools usually have the same size teams as the large schools. It isn't about talent as much as the number of players on a team. And the magic of the sweet sixteen in basketball would be broken with classes. Just look at Paintsville's state basketball title in 1996 as proof. A small school in eastern Kentucky with less than 250 9-12 grade students won the state title outright!!!! That is what it is all about. But that is not going to happen in football, even with a very talented 1A team.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My memory is fading but didn't that Paintsville team have two D1 players? Normally, that is about what it is going to take for a small school to have a chance. How many small schools have two D1 players? Did both of those D1 players live in Paintsville or did one or both of them find their way to Paintsville over time?

My memory is fading but didn't that Paintsville team have two D1 players? Normally, that is about what it is going to take for a small school to have a chance. How many small schools have two D1 players? Did both of those D1 players live in Paintsville or did one or both of them find their way to Paintsville over time?

J.R. Vanhoose went to Marshall and had a great carrear.

Todd Tackett went to U.K. and left the team.

They did have some studs back in the day when John Pelphrey(UK), Jerry Pelphrey(East Tenn State), Keith Adkins(Notre Dame) and Joey Couch(Football Captain at UK) played together at Paintsville. To my knowledge all of the guys mentioned were home grown boys.

This six class idea is stupid. Make a high school football dress limit and St. X and Trinity become great teams but not unbeatable. The problem has nothing to do with the who goes where or how much coaches get paid the problem is certain teams dress a HUGE AMOUNT of players and teams can't overcome that depth. Football is the most physically draining game their is. If one team dresses a 110 players and has a 33 player defensive player rotation and they are playing a team that dresses 40 I hope for the team with 110 players wins or their coach isn't very good.

I'm sure Billy Hicks wished he could dress 50 players on his basketball team his depth would be unreal. I'm sure Marvin Lewis wished he could dress over 100 players but the NFL has a 53 player dress limit. But High School Football has no dress limit.

This six class idea is stupid. Make a high school football dress limit and St. X and Trinity become great teams but not unbeatable. The problem has nothing to do with the who goes where or how much coaches get paid the problem is certain teams dress a HUGE AMOUNT of players and teams can't overcome that depth. Football is the most physically draining game their is. If one team dresses a 110 players and has a 33 player defensive player rotation and they are playing a team that dresses 40 I hope for the team with 110 players wins or their coach isn't very good.

I'm sure Billy Hicks wished he could dress 50 players on his basketball team his depth would be unreal. I'm sure Marvin Lewis wished he could dress over 100 players but the NFL has a 53 player dress limit. But High School Football has no dress limit.

You're wrong about the dress limit... in a tight game, how many of the 110 play, do you think? Call it 70, and I think that's on the outside edge... Do you erally think that X and T can't dress JUST their top 70 players and not be worse for wear?

J.R. Vanhoose went to Marshall and had a great carrear.

Todd Tackett went to U.K. and left the team.

They did have some studs back in the day when John Pelphrey(UK), Jerry Pelphrey(East Tenn State), Keith Adkins(Notre Dame) and Joey Couch(Football Captain at UK) played together at Paintsville. To my knowledge all of the guys mentioned were home grown boys.

Wow, I wonder how many 1A schools in KY have ever had that kind of home grown basketball talent? I am going to take a guess and say one! :D

\

There are 355 D1 basketball schools in this country, so its not a stretch to have 2 D1 players on 1 team every few years, if a coach works his tail off to promote kids like BMR does.

Plus those kids on that team are LEGENDS

You're wrong about the dress limit... in a tight game, how many of the 110 play, do you think? Call it 70, and I think that's on the outside edge... Do you erally think that X and T can't dress JUST their top 70 players and not be worse for wear?

Agreed, that's why I would make the limit in the low 50's at the highest. If the NFL can play with 53 there is no one who will make me believe that high school kids can't play with the same numbers.

If we are talking home grown talent for a 1A school I think it is a very big stretch for a 1A school to have two D1 players on their team at the same time in the top two or maybe three grades.

Since time is on our side, does anyone have the examples? Next???

Agreed, that's why I would make the limit in the low 50's at the highest. If the NFL can play with 53 there is no one who will make me believe that high school kids can't play with the same numbers.

That's so wrong.

These are KIDS.

Not a chance Golfer. No one is going to limit the amount of players involved, that is crazy talk. The big public schools need to do a better job of getting their own players on the field instead of finding ways to keep the private school players off of the field. :rolleyes:

Not a chance Golfer. No one is going to limit the amount of players involved, that is crazy talk. The big public schools need to do a better job of getting their own players on the field instead of finding ways to keep the private school players off of the field. :rolleyes:

Ok, then shouldn't we have the same rules for basketball, baseball, soccer, cheerleading. Dress as many as you want. Why does every other football league above high school have a dress limit and that's ok but high school teams can dress who ever they want. Don't you think NFL coaches would like to have triple digits on their sideline? Why is it ok in every other sport but not football? And it's only in high school?

What are the limits for other sports in KY? I know I have seen more cheerleaders at some games than I can shake a stick at.

The answer for college and pro football is easy, money and Title 9 on the college level and money money money on the pro level.

Ok, then shouldn't we have the same rules for basketball, baseball, soccer, cheerleading. Dress as many as you want. Why does every other football league above high school have a dress limit and that's ok but high school teams can dress who ever they want. Don't you think NFL coaches would like to have triple digits on their sideline? Why is it ok in every other sport but not football? And it's only in high school?

Because in high school it is about the kids and their experience. This is not the same at the other levels. Why would anyone in their right mind turn away a kid that wanted to play football? IMO football is a great character building sport. The reasons in basketball are because you can't fit 60 kids on the side of the court. Also only 5 play at a time...

What are the limits for other sports in KY? I know I have seen more cheerleaders at some games than I can shake a stick at.

The answer for college and pro football is easy, money and Title 9 on the college level and money money money on the pro level.

The answer in college and pro's is easy. It's called a Monopoly. It's the reason they invented the Salary Cap in certain pro sports. It's to control teams who win so that they don't run away with everything.

Imagine how good USC would be if they had ulimited scholarships and unlimited players on the sideline they would be untouchable.

If I'm not mistaken baseball has no salary cap and you can see how many teams have problems with the New York Yankees. I believe the NFL does have a Salary Cap and the higher power controls teams like the Patriots from going out of control and dress limits in the NFL control their talent level.

I think my idea will save the private schools from being kicked out of the state and it makes a fair playing field. If the private schools do not agree to something they will not be around much longer. This six class idea will not hold very long.

(Guru, in a perfect world to do you want unlimited players in football for College and Pro Level Teams?)