I don't understand the logic behind this rocket science??

theguru

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do however think the 1A tournament has kind of taken away from the "1 State Champion thing"

I don't think it has. I have no problem with the All A, everyone knows the state champ isn't crowned until mid March. As far as the football thing goes who did that benefit? I know it didn't benefit my school, personally I think it's a joke, if you have to beat the best do it, someone will always be top do no matter how many classes you split.

As far as the football thing goes who did that benefit? I know it didn't benefit my school, personally I think it's a joke, if you have to beat the best do it, someone will always be top do no matter how many classes you split.

I can tell you the teams theat will benefit. The teams that are smaller in there class curently. They don't generally have a chance within there current class because they are on one end of the spectrum and the better schools are on the other end.

Example....by enrollment, a solid football team in 1A. and let's say they are right in the middle size wise by enrollment, with a six class system, they may become one of the bigger schools in Class 1A.

I'm not really for it myself, I think it is a fine system we currently have. I wouldn't mind seeing the 3A and 4A champs play a final game. Call it the large school championship, then do a small school Championship for the 1A and 2A. hmmmmm, I guess I perposing 2 Classes in football instead of 6. Ha Ha

Except in Basketball if you get one player like a Chris Lofton and some average players around him then any school in the state can win the state title. Football you need 6 or 7 really good players (maybe more) and then the rest have to be pretty good.

The chances of digging up a diamond are greater when you take 1500 shovels of dirt vs taking 200 shovels of dirt and the chances are greater of getting a Chris Lofton when you are choosing from 1500 boys vs. choosing 200 boys, is it not?

I think classification is coming to all sports in Ky. This push in football is going to spill over. It was slowed down in basketball with the advent of the All A Classic. Hey, wait a minute.

Lets leave football as it is, no changes at all. But we create a mid season tournament. We'll call it the "All-Don't Want To Make the Committment to Win, but want to Say we are Champions Classic". Yeah, that's it, that's the ticket.

Seriously, this quest to have multiple kids say they won state championships has gone overboard. No I don't agree with the poster that said that winning a state championship even if its only against 4 competitors is meaningful. If so, then lets just play intermural sports. Society repeatedly heaps more respect and praise on the persons, teams and units that win despite being the underdog; on those that worked harder to overcome their opponents advantages. To succomb to the current logic permeating the KHSAA and the coaching ranks, is nothing more than the underdogs surrendering and admitting defeat, which is just awful. It teaches our kids the absolute wrong message: a victory, any victory, is better than a hardfought loss. Which it most absolutely is not. The coaches want to restructure the classifications not for the kids, but so they can say that they won state championships in my opinion. Most kids that I've coached down this way relish competing against the best to measure themselves. I just don't understand this thinking, but then, I've never understood the dumbing down, lets worry about self esteem, lets not even keep score so there are no winners and losers, lets not decare a valedictorian because it breeds unhealthy competition between classmates kind of mentality. My granddaddy , who coached down here for years, has to be turning in his grave over this stuff. I'm glad for his sake he already passed on, for this would surely kill him.

The chances of digging up a diamond are greater when you take 1500 shovels of dirt vs taking 200 shovels of dirt and the chances are greater of getting a Chris Lofton when you are choosing from 1500 boys vs. choosing 200 boys, is it not?

I think classification is coming to all sports in Ky. This push in football is going to spill over. It was slowed down in basketball with the advent of the All A Classic. Hey, wait a minute.

Lets leave football as it is, no changes at all. But we create a mid season tournament. We'll call it the "All-Don't Want To Make the Committment to Win, but want to Say we are Champions Classic". Yeah, that's it, that's the ticket.

Seriously, this quest to have multiple kids say they won state championships has gone overboard. No I don't agree with the poster that said that winning a state championship even if its only against 4 competitors is meaningful. If so, then lets just play intermural sports. Society repeatedly heaps more respect and praise on the persons, teams and units that win despite being the underdog; on those that worked harder to overcome their opponents advantages. To succomb to the current logic permeating the KHSAA and the coaching ranks, is nothing more than the underdogs surrendering and admitting defeat, which is just awful. It teaches our kids the absolute wrong message: a victory, any victory, is better than a hardfought loss. Which it most absolutely is not. The coaches want to restructure the classifications not for the kids, but so they can say that they won state championships in my opinion. Most kids that I've coached down this way relish competing against the best to measure themselves. I just don't understand this thinking, but then, I've never understood the dumbing down, lets worry about self esteem, lets not even keep score so there are no winners and losers, lets not decare a valedictorian because it breeds unhealthy competition between classmates kind of mentality. My granddaddy , who coached down here for years, has to be turning in his grave over this stuff. I'm glad for his sake he already passed on, for this would surely kill him.

Well said. I assume you would prefer one class in football, for the same reasons you so pasionately oppose classes in football, academics, or any other form of competition. I respect that, but have no problem whatsoever giving more kids more opportunities. Football is a game. Playing and surviving a season is rewarding for most kids. Simply playing the game, and sacrificing, is what molds these kids; not running into a brick wall year after year after year. For most schools, just having a chance to play in a state championship is something they'll never experience. IMO, more classes would boost interest, fan support, and revenue. The larger, traditional powerhouses would still have overall bragging rights, just as they do in the present class system. Six classes is fine with me. It would water down nothing.

I'll use this thread as my oppritunity to state that I'd rather see just one class in football. Would it be even for all? No. Will it ever be even for all. No.

That makes sense. We can put Harrodsburg with a total student population of around 150 kids drawing from a town of 6000 people in the same class as Trinity with what? 2000 students (all of which are male) and drawing from the far corners of the earth. ;)

Perhaps there should be more classes in basketball, but you definitely don't need as many classes as football. In basketball you play 5 at a time. You theoretically could have a powerhouse team with a team 6 or 7 deep. In football, you need many more bodies to withstand the physical demands. Small schools simply don't have those numbers of athletes to compete with the larger schools in football. Whereas in basketball, they have more of a fighting chance against the bigger schools because you don't need such a large pool of athletes to choose from. Of course, this is all JMO. :cool:

I think TTC hit the nail on it's head, it's a numbers game. Much easier to find 7 solid bball players than 22 quality football players and two kickers. You spoke about "fan rights" earlier, yes fans do enjoy their 4 days of March madness come tournament time but I guarantee if you ask any kid would you rather play in front of 12 grand in Lexington or 4 grand in Richmond they would give me Lexington as their answer.

Because its something to just win a region title in basketball, that itself is like winning a state title in football, because you get to play in one of the most storied places in ALL of basketball. Theres 16 teams that get that experience, win or lose, in the basketball tourney and to most thats enough.

I live right on the WVa. border and I try to go to Charleston to basketball tourney every year and its nice, but give me a choice of winning their class titles and just playing at Rupp and I'll take Rupp every time.

Good point Next. Winning the region is MAJOR accomplishment in hoops, just to make it to the S16 is a challenge in itself. Look at Cumberland a few seasons ago, they came from nowhere and won the 13th, yes they took one on the chin in the 1st round of state but they'll charish that until the day they go to the grave.

Remember, the focus of this thread is if you need six classes in football don't you at least need two or three in basketball? If not, why?

And that's why I think we WILL see at least two divisions in basketball. The six class argument in Football is going to stir some stuff up in KY's non-classed sports. There will be a movement towards more internal consistency.