Should local press be unbiased about preps sports reporting?

I saw on social media where a press member from the Hopkinsville area was bemoaning the fact that there were other press members present at the MNH vs. UHA game who were visibly cheering, standing, and clapping in support of Madisonville during the boys 2nd Region championship game.

His complaint was based around his stance that members of the media should remain impartial and objective in their reporting, and that if they were at the game as a reporter (thus performing an aspect of their job), then they shouldn't be cheering for one team versus the other. Especially in a situation like a regional championship game, where two teams from the geographic area that their news outlet serves are playing one another.

What say you?

Many times in smaller communities the press may have a personal connection to the players and coaches, away from sports. I have no problem with local press members cheering for local teams.

Most local sports writers probably attended the local high school and participated in sports while there. I don't think you ask them not to root for the hometown team.

Now they need to be fair in actually reporting the story, even if the coverage is slanted to the home team. A reporter doesn't need to negatively report on the other team...just treat them fairly.

#1 rule, no cheering in the press box.

Why? Many times I've watched or listened to local games at the various schools where one of the commentators had a son or daughter playing. It didn't offend me in any way, if they got a little over zealous for their childs team.

Why? Many times I've watched or listened to local games at the various schools where one of the commentators had a son or daughter playing. It didn't offend me in any way, if they got a little over zealous for their childs team.

I assumed everyone was aware of the book “No Cheering in the Press Box” by Jerome Holzman. From a personal view, as someone with a radio station call sign on his birth certificate and who has covered local games for almost 40 years, I think it is unprofessional and bush-league for a working sportscater to openly cheer for teams. You knew Cawood Ledford wanted the Cats to win. He didn’t have to say it.

I assumed everyone was aware of the book “No Cheering in the Press Box” by Jerome Holzman. From a personal view, as someone with a radio station call sign on his birth certificate and who has covered local games for almost 40 years, I think it is unprofessional and bush-league for a working sportscaster to openly cheer for teams. You knew Cawood Ledford wanted the Cats to win. He didn’t have to say it.

If it's from a "neutral" media outlet, I agree. But if they are there to cover a specific team, I don't agree at all.

I assumed everyone was aware of the book “No Cheering in the Press Box” by Jerome Holzman. From a personal view, as someone with a radio station call sign on his birth certificate and who has covered local games for almost 40 years, I think it is unprofessional and bush-league for a working sportscaster to openly cheer for teams. You knew Cawood Ledford wanted the Cats to win. He didn’t have to say it.

Cawood is the hall mark of play-by-play announcers. I put Gene Deckeroff in that category, too. However, there are announcers all over the college and pro ranks that are extreme "homers", and make no effort to hide it. Mick Hubert's call of a Florida game is flush with "OH MY!!!"'s and screaming. He sounds like he's crying half the time.

I disagree. I don't see it as bush league or unprofessional. I'll agree there are limits to it, but having and showing a clear rooting interest doesn't bother me in the least. That said, as long as the visiting team is treated with respect.

If we are talking about print journalism, absolutely no cheering. Any professional print journalist will confirm that.

Broadcasters aren't journalists. They can cheer but if they are so biased that it impacts the quality of their broadcast, they need to check themselves.

• 2 weeks later...
#1 rule, no cheering in the press box.

We’ll agree to disagree. I have rarely seen it but high-fiving, fist-pumping and openly applauding on press row or in a press box is unprofessional.

If they paid to get in, then cheer away.

If they used a "press pass" to get in, then no cheering.

We are in lockstep Mr.Network and great point Just Jim.

I saw on social media where a press member from the Hopkinsville area was bemoaning the fact that there were other press members present at the MNH vs. UHA game who were visibly cheering, standing, and clapping in support of Madisonville during the boys 2nd Region championship game.

His complaint was based around his stance that members of the media should remain impartial and objective in their reporting, and that if they were at the game as a reporter (thus performing an aspect of their job), then they shouldn't be cheering for one team versus the other. Especially in a situation like a regional championship game, where two teams from the geographic area that their news outlet serves are playing one another.

What say you?

If they are in press row they shouldn’t be visibly cheering. I was always taught that cheering in the press box is a no no but things are a lot different these days. With just as many bloggers (who usually are biased) as there are journalists it is often hard to tell who is who.

When I am reporting on a game in a professional setting in which I received a credential for the game I will not cheer at all. If I paid for my seat then I’ll cheer. IMO that should be the expectation for everyone.