New Rule in Golf - Putting with the flag in

ggclfan

So watching the first PGA Tour event this week was interesting; especially watching Bryson DeChambeau putting with the flagstick in. I don't like the new rule at all. As more players get used to the thought of it, it will become commonplace and according to the scientists, it does give you a slight advantage. On the PGA tour, if you make one or two more putts a tournament putting certain putts with the flag in, it may mean $1MM or more in additional earnings. Brandel Chamblee said that you are basically an idiot if you are on the tour and NOT putting with the flagstick in. What I don't like about it is that the intent was not to give players an advantage putting. It was to speed up play and let guys tap in short ones without having to take the flag out. On a side note, I played both Saturday and Sunday this past weekend (how cool is THAT in January!) and we left the flag in on longer putts, rather than having our partners tending the flag. For amateurs, I like the rule since we don't usually have caddies to take the flag out but for professionals who do have caddies, I am not a fan of the rule at all.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the ruling if the flag traps the ball above the cup?

You simply move the flagstick until the ball is beneath the cut of the cup.

Actually this is not a new rule. Up until the mid 1960's you could putt with the flagstick in.

I like the idea of trying to speed things up, but I'm not sure it really matters that much.

It matters. All golfers walk right to their balls, lineup the putts and blast away when ready. Considering that on every hole no one has to walk up to, remove/tend the pin, walk back to their ball, then replace the pin, groups may save 15-20 minutes or more a round.

It matters. All golfers walk right to their balls, lineup the putts and blast away when ready. Considering that on every hole no one has to walk up to, remove/tend the pin, walk back to their ball, then replace the pin, groups may save 15-20 minutes or more a round.

One person goes and gets it while someone else is getting ready to putt and lays it down. I guess it could save a minute a hole, at the very best. Probably will take more time for some groups for people deciding if they want it in or out and argue about it. :lol2: Then someone has to go get it when they decide they want it out.

I think the most unfair rule in golf is play the ball as it lies when a perfect drive, in the fairway, rolls into a massive divot which, of course, is man-made. I once had to take an unplayable penalty in the fairway because of a divot....cost me some money.

I think the most unfair rule in golf is play the ball as it lies when a perfect drive, in the fairway, rolls into a massive divot which, of course, is man-made. I once had to take an unplayable penalty in the fairway because of a divot....cost me some money.

Totally agree. You should not be penalized because a guy before you was too lazy to put the turf back in place. If it was impossible to do so and it is a sand filled divot, then it should be played as ground under repair IMO. The guys I play with are not so serious that we would ever expect a guy in our weekly game to play from a divot in the fairway...roll it and move on...we are probably like 90% of amateurs in that respect.

Totally agree. You should not be penalized because a guy before you was too lazy to put the turf back in place. If it was impossible to do so and it is a sand filled divot, then it should be played as ground under repair IMO. The guys I play with are not so serious that we would ever expect a guy in our weekly game to play from a divot in the fairway...roll it and move on...we are probably like 90% of amateurs in that respect.

That particular day, I hit probably the best tee shot I ever hit on the first hole. The first tee is always a little nervy. I got to my ball and found it in the mother of all divots. I was only about 30 yards off the green, but the ball was essentially unplayable. I’m still bitter about it.

Jack Nicklaus has complained about this for years also.

You’re looking at it all wrong. I would venture to say