New Rule in Golf - Putting with the flag in

ggclfan

I don’t think there’s any way you can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that leaving the stick in will result in more holed putts. Too many variables to duplicate in a scientific setting. For me, when I was learning the game, it was always beat into my head to leave the flagstick in. Personally, I’m going to be happy to leave the stick in regardless of what the pros do.

It was beat into your head to leave the flagstick out when you were learning the game? That seems rather different then most experiences I’ve encountered.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cannot disagree with you at all. I play 75-100 rounds each year and think my game is like a roller-coaster. 7.5 hdcp, but can have some pretty awful rounds, and habit has me pulling the stick. But, I am intrigued by what the data is going to show over a full season. Cybermetrics????? Changing baseball. Might have an impact despite R&A and USGA claiming no benefit.

It was beat into your head to leave the flagstick out when you were learning the game? That seems rather different then most experiences I’ve encountered.

Yep. Was originally taught by my Uncle (who was a scratch golfer and had a couple attempts at senior tour Q school) to play in my early teens, who always reminded me that I could leave the stick in when I was off the green, even on really short putts. I had my first real lessons when I was 19 (in the late 80's). The pro always encouraged me to leave the stick in when I could. Took golf as a gym class in college....got the same advice. Played in a couple Pro-ams in the 90's and no one blinked when I left the stick in when putting off the green. Played in a pretty competitive league (with a lot of single digit handicaps) for a few years and my partners would look at you like you were crazy if you pulled the stick when you didn't have to. Same thing with my father in law and my wife's Uncles. I've been around the game now for 35 years, played as a mid single digit handicap for many years, all over the country, and literally can't remember ever being told that I'd be better off by taking the flagstick out. In fact I'm shocked to hear that yourself and others are so dead set against leaving it in.

Yep. Was originally taught by my Uncle (who was a scratch golfer and had a couple attempts at senior tour Q school) to play in my early teens, who always reminded me that I could leave the stick in when I was off the green, even on really short putts. I had my first real lessons when I was 19 (in the late 80's). The pro always encouraged me to leave the stick in when I could. Took golf as a gym class in college....got the same advice. Played in a couple Pro-ams in the 90's and no one blinked when I left the stick in when putting off the green. Played in a pretty competitive league (with a lot of single digit handicaps) for a few years and my partners would look at you like you were crazy if you pulled the stick when you didn't have to. Same thing with my father in law and my wife's Uncles. I've been around the game now for 35 years, played as a mid single digit handicap for many years, all over the country, and literally can't remember ever being told that I'd be better off by taking the flagstick out. In fact I'm shocked to hear that yourself and others are so dead set against leaving it in.

I’m not really dead set against it. I think if someone wants to leave it in then more power to them. I just personally wouldn’t do it. I pull the flag on chips rather frequently. But watching golf on TV you see guys pull the flag stick off the green all the time. Hell I’ve seen lefty have bones pull it from 80 yards out in the fairway. It really is strange how differently some people learn the game.