St. Xavier 1 Highlands 0 (KHSAA Championship)

Congrats to St.X on the State Title. Now for the team that won our hearts as a community and a soccer fan, the Highlands Bluebirds. So proud of you boys. You guys made all of us so proud. From your enthusiasm on the field to you team unity, it was awesome to watch. To the seniors, I will miss you guys on the field next year and wish you the best of luck on your future endeavors. To the underclassmen, regroup and get back to the State Final next year.

Edited by STPB
Grammer

From the KHSAA:

Box scores from today's championship matches, a complete list of award winners and final brackets can be found through the links below.

BOYS CHAMPIONSHIP

St. Xavier 1, Highlands 0

Box Score - https://khsaa.org/soccer/2018/stats/boys07.pdf

Award Winners - https://khsaa.org/soccer/2018/boysawards.pdf

Bracket - https://khsaa.org/soccer/2018/boysstatebracket.pdf

Looks like a very evenly played match. The one goal was scored just before half on a breakaway? Any details on the play from someone who was there?

I've posted the details in various places! :)

Basically Highlands kicked off and sent it all the way down field. St. X wasted no time. Ball got to midfielder, who played a great ball down left wing to an All State Player.

All State Player A finds 2018 State Offensive Player of the Year in the goalmouth UNMARKED for an easy put away.

Not sure what Highlands was thinking. Dumb idea combined with blown assignments against a really good team.

Kinda sad it was the deciding goal, but I am sure Hopkinsville feels their pain.

Some really good teams got beat on some really bad goals.

I read in another thread about classification. Also read some comments elsewhere that "some" feel or use the "size" of a school as an excuse to losing. Please, you get to State because you are a premier program. Please don't use school size as an excuse. Great job Birds and congrats to St X.

I've posted the details in various places! :)

Basically Highlands kicked off and sent it all the way down field. St. X wasted no time. Ball got to midfielder, who played a great ball down left wing to an All State Player.

All State Player A finds 2018 State Offensive Player of the Year in the goalmouth UNMARKED for an easy put away.

Not sure what Highlands was thinking. Dumb idea combined with blown assignments against a really good team.

Kinda sad it was the deciding goal, but I am sure Hopkinsville feels their pain.

Some really good teams got beat on some really bad goals.

Why?

I wasn't at the game but the St X goal sounds like a good one to me. Build up from the back, through the midfield and then a nice finish. And then apparently St X played good defense and won the game, fair result well earned victory.