Is anyone else surprised there has not been a mass school shooting this school year?

theguru

I know this is a tough subject but why did they stop all of the sudden?

I see there were some "isolated incidents" but not of the mass school shooting type.

Obviously it is GREAT NEWS but what has changed and is anyone else surprised?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife is a substitute teacher in the Kenton County school system. 99% of the time she subs for K-5 only. She loves teaching kids that can give her hugs! Last week, a teacher begged her to sub for grade 10 in one of the high schools. She was absolutely shocked at how hard it was keeping students on task and how they had so little respect for her, themselves and each other. She is a great teacher, but she knows she is limited on what she is allowed to do to curb misbehavior. I know she will not be volunteering to sub in a public high school again. To tie to the topic of this thread, it seems that lack of discipline in schools can seed an environment that is ripe for additional tragic incidents like we've seen in the past.

I know this is a tough subject but why did they stop all of the sudden?

I see there were some "isolated incidents" but not of the mass school shooting type.

Obviously it is GREAT NEWS but what has changed and is anyone else surprised?

They probably need more time to get their next false flag operation together. We're starting to recognize all of their crisis actors. It takes time to train new ones....

All joking aside. Hopefully it is because security measures have improved at the schools with more police officers, metal detectors, policies etc.

Re the above post by nkypete, I think part of the curriculum at the middle school level should be on giving kids a focus for their high school years. They should be pointed towards an educational curriculum that supports what they are interested in pursuing beyond high school, whether it be preparation for going to college or pointing them in a vocational direction. I believe that would help give these young students a focus and purpose at a time when they need it the most. I also believe that would help a lot with discipline and perhaps even these mass shootings by reducing risk that someone gets to the level they would consider doing that.

As to why there are no shootings this year, the only thing I can think of that has changed is the heightened awareness and focus in schools on the problem and better security.

Re the above post by nkypete, I think part of the curriculum at the middle school level should be on giving kids a focus for their high school years. They should be pointed towards an educational curriculum that supports what they are interested in pursuing beyond high school, whether it be preparation for going to college or pointing them in a vocational direction. I believe that would help give these young students a focus and purpose at a time when they need it the most. I also believe that would help a lot with discipline and perhaps even these mass shootings by reducing risk that someone gets to the level they would consider doing that.

As to why there are no shootings this year, the only thing I can think of that has changed is the heightened awareness and focus in schools on the problem and better security.

As the father of a son who is unlikely to go to college immediately after high school...I have to say I'm sick of schools portraying that "success" means going to college. While that may be a perfectly acceptable goal for many, there are others who can be just as successful (maybe even more so) going a vocational route. Yet the majority of schools turn a blind eye to that. It's all ACT or SAT scores, and how many colleges did you get accepted to.

Sorry to go off-topic with my previous post...didn't mean to hijack.

As to the original question, I'd offer...

1.) Stricter security preventing a non-student/faculty member from entering the building

2.) Parents finally wising up and actually using security on the guns in the home, preventing a student from gaining access to a weapon.

3.) More awareness of the mental problems that some kids may be having in the first place, and getting them help.

I think there have been several preemtive arrest this year.

However these things are cyclical and no amount of security will ever completely stop them. The target may change, but the kinds of kids that carry these out are already planning the next one...unfortunately.

What is the history of these school killings? I don't think there has been one every year for the past five or more years has there? Is it that unusual that we have not had one yet this year?

Answering my own question after a little google search:

Parkland, FL shooting happened Feb. 14, 2018.

Santa Fe, TX shooting happened May 18, 2018

Perhaps @theguru is saying no shootings since school started this fall?

Here is the link where I got my info: List of school shootings in the United States - Wikipedia

Answering my own question after a little google search:

Parkland, FL shooting happened Feb. 14, 2018.

Santa Fe, TX shooting happened May 18, 2018

Perhaps @theguru is saying no shootings since school started this fall?

Here is the link where I got my info: List of school shootings in the United States - Wikipedia

I meant this school year VoR but like you I noticed some isolated incidents looking at Wikipedia before I started this thread.

I am actually shocked we have made it this far into the school year.

Kids haven't been bullied enough and wanting to take things into their own hands at this point yet.

I'm making that up, but it sort of makes sense if you think about it. I'm sure there is some type of study out there and it would be easy to research if I had the time, but I feel like you see more mass school shootings in the spring months than fall.

I meant this school year VoR but like you I noticed some isolated incidents looking at Wikipedia before I started this thread.

I am actually shocked we have made it this far into the school year.

Why? How is this school year any different? Looking at the list on Wiki it isn't any different than 2017 or 2016 or ...