Is anyone else surprised there has not been a mass school shooting this school year?

theguru

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kids haven't been bullied enough and wanting to take things into their own hands at this point yet.

I'm making that up, but it sort of makes sense if you think about it. I'm sure there is some type of study out there and it would be easy to research if I had the time, but I feel like you see more mass school shootings in the spring months than fall.

I agree with this 100%.

Answering my own question after a little google search:

Parkland, FL shooting happened Feb. 14, 2018.

Santa Fe, TX shooting happened May 18, 2018

Perhaps @theguru is saying no shootings since school started this fall?

Here is the link where I got my info: List of school shootings in the United States - Wikipedia

Marshall County, KY in January

I took a little time to figure out some more numbers behind it, because I'm interested to know if there is a reason.

Going back 50 years, with the first incident being January 30, 1968. I broke the calendar down into 3 groups: spring, summer, fall. Spring is January-May, Summer is June and July, Fall is August-December.

Since 1968

Summer- 5

Fall 101

Spring- 151

That's a pretty big difference between fall and spring. The list I found might have different parameters than the Wikipedia article, but I still think the data warrants some sort of questioning about that.

I took a little time to figure out some more numbers behind it, because I'm interested to know if there is a reason.

Going back 50 years, with the first incident being January 30, 1968. I broke the calendar down into 3 groups: spring, summer, fall. Spring is January-May, Summer is June and July, Fall is August-December.

Since 1968

Summer- 5

Fall 101

Spring- 151

That's a pretty big difference between fall and spring. The list I found might have different parameters than the Wikipedia article, but I still think the data warrants some sort of questioning about that.

Can you give me the link? I'd like to look at that data too.

Since 1968

Summer- 5

Fall 101

Spring- 151

I think it has to do with what MJ mentioned earlier as far as kids not being bullied/depressed to that point yet. I also think its partially a seasonal depression in some instances. I've said for years I think seasonal depression truly effects a lot of people, it also correlates with kids having been in school for a while in those time frames.

It goes in cycles. School shootings down, workplace shootings up. When several happen, everyone heightens their awareness then it goes away and they start over again.

As someone with training in this particular area, I don't think there is any one thing that has improved recently that has caused it to decrease.

As someone with training in this particular area, I don't think there is any one thing that has improved recently that has caused it to decrease.

I probably agree with you. But do we think there is any chance that kids/educators are being more vigilant than they've ever been in the past? Districts putting in more reporting mechanisms to get out ahead of a situation?

I probably agree with you. But do we think there is any chance that kids/educators are being more vigilant than they've ever been in the past? Districts putting in more reporting mechanisms to get out ahead of a situation?

Schools/Law Enforcement are getting more tips or reports of suspicious activities than ever.

I've seen several cases around the state and country where kids making threats have been prosecuted.

Schools/Law Enforcement are getting more tips or reports of suspicious activities than ever.

I've seen several cases around the state and country where kids making threats have been prosecuted.

One of the things that the company I work for does, is provide a Student Bullying/Student Safety Reporting System. Students, Parents and etc. can report via website, phone call, and now even an app (for Apple users). I asked my buddy, the manager for the student side of our company, if we have seen an uptick on the Student Safety side of reports and he said absolutely.

He went on to say in the past we predominately saw just bullying reports but in the last year or two, the suicide and reports of potential school violence have grown in percentage of what we've seen.

His added thoughts, maybe students that may potentially become and active shooter are caught or stopped prematurely, before they get to that point because people are more vigilant and reporting things to authorities or administration.

Yes. Schools are putting systems in place that begin with the initial reporting of anything suspicious seen or heard instead. They are finally being more proactive instead of reactive. More schools have also finally figured out resource officers are a good idea and are working to get them on campus.