Is anyone else surprised there has not been a mass school shooting this school year?

theguru

Yes. Schools are putting systems in place that begin with the initial reporting of anything suspicious seen or heard instead. They are finally being more proactive instead of reactive. More schools have also finally figured out resource officers are a good idea and are working to get them on campus.

I remember way back when, when the powers that be didn't want DARE Officers (morphed to Resource Officers) to even carry their sidearm while working in the schools.

My my how times have changed...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like KSP may have prevented one today. Suspect a 20yo former student had made threats about two local schools (Anderson and Shelby, I think). Tipped off by a lady in New Jersey, troopers investigated and found the threat to be credible. The suspect was arrested backing out of his driveway, in his car were 200 rounds of ammo, gun, balistic vest and detailed attack plan. He very well could have been on his way to the school this morning.

Looks like KSP may have prevented one today. Suspect a 20yo former student had made threats about two local schools (Anderson and Shelby, I think). Tipped off by a lady in New Jersey, troopers investigated and found the threat to be credible. The suspect was arrested backing out of his driveway, in his car were 200 rounds of ammo, gun, balistic vest and detailed attack plan. He very well could have been on his way to the school this morning.

Just...wow.

Thank God.

• 2 weeks later...

The elementary school where my wife works instituted more safety measures including having a resource officer there throughout the day. The front door is locked. You have to buzz in. There is a camera at the front door which allows the office worker to see if she/he recognizes the person wanting entrance. They are not buzzed in until need to be there is determined. It is not fool-proof (or wacko-proof) by any means but this is an improvement. Adding more security and more armed guards (such as a resource officer) seems to me to be a positive and logical direction to go.

This is, unfortunately, where we have arrived in 2018.