What did the recent KY Teacher Pension Protest in Frankfort accomplish?

theguru

I think it accomplished plenty for the other side meaning it let the Teachers vent, enjoy spring break, and now get back to work, but I have no idea what it accomplished to actually help current and future teachers?

Anyone?

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t know how to talk about this without discussing legislators and the budget and pension bill.

I suppose you would tell us how the budget or pension changed to the positive for Teachers.

Or, you would tell us what else "The Protest" accomplished?

Agree. Is there an angle in this that isn't politics?

Maybe ... the pension changes were significantly less drastic than what was being proposed? Can we say that?

We can stipulate "The Teachers" are Political Wizards and "The Protest" will have some Political Benefit in the future.

FWIW, if it is vetoed no one accomplished anything.

Teacher presence kept SEEK funding, restored transportation funding, and eliminated charter school funding from budget.

The pension reform bill passed so quickly that teacher presence was too small to make a change.

FWIW, if it is vetoed no one accomplished anything.

Teacher presence kept SEEK funding, restored transportation funding, and eliminated charter school funding from budget.

The pension reform bill passed so quickly that teacher presence was too small to make a change.

That is a shame on Charter School Funding.

Not sure a day or two accomplishes much. There was a healthy presence throughout from retired teachers and administrators, though, that probably saved COLA for retired teachers and some budgetary things. Hard to tell what else, though because so much was done behind closed doors like always.

Now if teachers stay away for weeks it will get movement because it affects most with parents of public school students. They lose work time or have to dig into their pockets to pay day care. I am not debating whether this is right or wrong, but it will cause those problems and the legisature usually takes the blame and/or they feel the pressure. Teachers know that. Again, not saying right or wrong, but what happens. Going further into that gets political.

Funding charter schools is nothing more than taxpayers paying for private, sort and select, schools. All under the guise of school choice.

I think the whole point of all of this is there isn't enough money, we already know that.

We need competition, not status quo.

I struggle with the draw of charters. Why not just inject more funding in the public school setting to lower class size rather than fund an entirely new school?

Not sure a day or two accomplishes much. There was a healthy presence throughout from retired teachers and administrators, though, that probably saved COLA for retired teachers and some budgetary things. Hard to tell what else, though because so much was done behind closed doors like always.

Now if teachers stay away for weeks it will get movement because it affects most with parents of public school students. They lose work time or have to dig into their pockets to pay day care. I am not debating whether this is right or wrong, but it will cause those problems and the legisature usually takes the blame and/or they feel the pressure. Teachers know that. Again, not saying right or wrong, but what happens. Going further into that gets political.

Funding charter schools is nothing more than taxpayers paying for private, sort and select, schools. All under the guise of school choice.

We agree the only real power teachers have is to Strike. Anything short of a Strike will be a slow, downhill drain on teacher benefits.

Choice is good!