Kansas considers making schools liable for not arming staff

theguru

In the wake of last month’s mass shooting at a Florida high school, at least 10 states across America have provisions in place giving teachers the option of carrying guns in schools, but Kansas may be taking their plans further than most other laws in place or under consideration.

Kansas schools that refuse to allow teachers to carry guns could be held legally responsible in the event of a school tragedy under a proposal drafted recently.

Kansas considers making schools liable for not arming staff | Fox News

This got me thinking because I do not know the Kentucky Law here. Do Kentucky Teachers have the legal option of carrying guns in Kentucky Schools?

Do any Kentucky Schools have Policies on the ability or non-ability of Teachers carrying guns in Kentucky Schools? I remember Pikeville was talking about it but I don't know how it turned out.

Law or no Law, Policy or no Policy, is this a discussion at any Kentucky Schools?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Make the schools liable for something the government should be responsible for fixing? Got it.

Who runs the schools?

You know what would help end school shootings more than anything? Locking crazy people up.

But to be clear, Kansas isn't saying teachers have to carry guns...just that school systems must allow those that want to or they could be held responsible if something happens.

Schools can still say no and the odds are dramatically in thier favor that nothing will ever happen at thier school.

The biggest thing I see is that they "Could" be held responsible, nit that they "Will" be held responsible.

Unless a teacher is refused permission to carry and then later is killed or in position to stop a shooter, I don't see the school losing that case and being held responsible.

I get what they are trying to do. Just relieving themselves of liability. I’m guessing that zero school shootings have happened and they realize in this sue crazy environment that they don’t want to get sued if one did happen and heck it may even lower their insurance.

Many teachers carry extra legal protection through KEA, KAPE, or some other professional organization just in case of a lawsuit. I doubt any of those organizations will cover mishaps with guns in the classroom.

We know schools won't legally protect teachers, so teachers will carry weapons with a huge legal liability if they carry.

I can only hope this kind of thing doesn't make it's way to Kentucky schools.

Speaking only for myself, there is no chance any of my kids step foot inside a school that allows teachers to carry a firearm in the school. Zero. SRO's, I'm completely okay with, they have the background and training necessary. Some rando who went and got his/her concealed carry permit? Not a chance.

Many teachers carry extra legal protection through KEA, KAPE, or some other professional organization just in case of a lawsuit. I doubt any of those organizations will cover mishaps with guns in the classroom.

We know schools won't legally protect teachers, so teachers will carry weapons with a huge legal liability if they carry.

KEA might be the most useless organization in the teaching profession....