Becoming A Trucker

Bluto

Do any of you know anything about the trucking/shipping industry? Or know someone with knowledge?

I am in the process of getting my CDL, and would love any advice/contacts.

I know this sounds crazy, but I'm actually excited about it!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How are you getting your CDL? Easiest way is apply for a job at a trucking company most places will pay for it instead of you paying for it at a trucking school.

And plus they will have the truck for you to take the road test in and a licensed person to ride to the testing site with you.

Many moons ago I drove a truck for Whiteford Trucking Company out of South Bend, IN. They were bought out by Gainey Trucking of Grand Rapids, MI I think. I went to a trucking school in Ohio for about two weeks. I don't know how they do it now but back then going to trucking school was the best way. They got you a job when you graduated. I had several offers. This was right before they started issuing the CDL licenses.

I drove an 8 speed 85 International Harvester cabover. Also a 12 speed 87 Freightliner.

Even though I loved it. It can be a lonely job at times. You have to deal with all types of people good and bad. I would suggest finding a reputable company who either have their own driver course or may send you to a good school.