Becoming A Trucker

Bluto

There's very solid $$$ in it as long as you enjoy your home on wheels. A good friend cut his teeth with a local company to get his CDL and put in time.

He now owns his own rig and seems very happy. Once folks accumulate certifications and licenses to pull hazmat, fuel, etc $$$ gets very good $100K plus!

Wishing you well Bluto! :thumb:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was at a conference last week and we ship a lot of product via big rig; the biggest takeaway from the conference lot's of material to be shipped, but not enough drivers. I heard several stories of companies with trucks sitting idle, as they don't have the people to put behind the wheel.

I was at a conference last week and we ship a lot of product via big rig; the biggest takeaway from the conference lot's of material to be shipped, but not enough drivers. I heard several stories of companies with trucks sitting idle, as they don't have the people to put behind the wheel.

This is very true. Tough to get drivers.

You may have to put in some time/miles before hiring on with these guys but this is decent money for straight driving and no Haz-Mat or crazy loads. Stay away from Jobs where you have to live unload or personally unload the freight like a delivery service...those are time killers and back breakers.

Most of these are driving only, driver never touches the load...just drop and hook and hit the road.

Pay Ranking Company Annual Salary

1 Acme Truck Line 82,892

2 Wal-Mart 79,994

3 UPS Freight 78,658

4 Trimac Transportation 76,796

5 Fed-Ex 75,774

6 Estes Trucking 75,000

7 ABF Freight 73,562

8 Holland Freight 72,339

9 Dayton Freight 72,151

10 Jack Cooper Transport 70,328

You may have to put in some time/miles before hiring on with these guys but this is decent money for straight driving and no Haz-Mat or crazy loads. Stay away from Jobs where you have to live unload or personally unload the freight like a delivery service...those are time killers and back breakers.

Most of these are driving only, driver never touches the load...just drop and hook and hit the road.

Pay Ranking Company Annual Salary

1 Acme Truck Line 82,892

2 Wal-Mart 79,994

3 UPS Freight 78,658

4 Trimac Transportation 76,796

5 Fed-Ex 75,774

6 Estes Trucking 75,000

7 ABF Freight 73,562

8 Holland Freight 72,339

9 Dayton Freight 72,151

10 Jack Cooper Transport 70,328

Is that owner operators or company drivers. A whole bunch of expenses goes into being an owner operator. I have no idea what the pay is now but 20 years ago, we paid $1.05 a mile for owner operators and .25 a mile for company drivers. Gas and insurance is a lot more expensive today, so I assume pay has gone up. This was for an intermodal trucking company.

Is that owner operators or company drivers. A whole bunch of expenses goes into being an owner operator. I have no idea what the pay is now but 20 years ago, we paid $1.05 a mile for owner operators and .25 a mile for company drivers. Gas and insurance is a lot more expensive today, so I assume pay has gone up. This was for an intermodal trucking company.

I think those are all company drivers...I know a few of them have no owner operators for sure.

Thanks, guys.

Sumoroyal: Sumo Jr. & I have been in contact, and will be speaking soon.

The 2 immediate questions are which trucking school to choose (1 is $4200, while Roadmaster is $7000). I realize that I will be reimbursed, but the initial cost is significant.

Also, which schools attract the best selection of Trucking Company reps.

Secondly, I need to know which Trucking Companies are reputable, and which to avoid.

(plus a zillion other things that I don't know to ask about!)

Thanks, guys.

Sumoroyal: Sumo Jr. & I have been in contact, and will be speaking soon.

The 2 immediate questions are which trucking school to choose (1 is $4200, while Roadmaster is $7000). I realize that I will be reimbursed, but the initial cost is significant.

Also, which schools attract the best selection of Trucking Company reps.

Secondly, I need to know which Trucking Companies are reputable, and which to avoid.

(plus a zillion other things that I don't know to ask about!)

Curious as why you would choose the school vs hiring on with a company that will train you while being paid.

I run a small trucking company out of cincy. We do only ohio loads but i also run the drop yard for kellogg outta cincy. STAY AWAY FROM swift. I deal with 30-50 truckers a day. They are the worst. Idl how some of these drivers get from one place to the next! Good luck to you its a lonely job. But if you like seeing the states its a great opportunity to do so!

Curious as why you would choose the school vs hiring on with a company that will train you while being paid.

In the past week I have asked several truckers for their advice. They all warned me that doing the latter will unnecessarily obligate you via contract to a certain company, and that they tend to squeeze you harder than being independent.

Good luck Bluto! My cousin is a truck driver and loves it! He has been very busy lately hauling supplies to TX and FL for FEMA.

Thank goodness for those who choose a lonely life on the road so that we may have the necessities and luxuries that they deliver to our communities. Please be respectful of them when on the road; move out of their way and let them merge when needed. If you can't see them in their mirrors, they can't see you!

I started my retirement career this summer as a local trucker driving thoroughbreds around. I don't need a CDL, but I work with many drivers that have theirs. I am happy to ask them any questions you pass on. I drive a box van, but our big rigs travel all over the Eastern half of the US. For the local drivers, the company was more interested in hiring horsemen and teaching them to drive and comply with the many regulations.