Netting in Baseball Stadiums

HammerTime

The instant New York Yankees third baseman Todd Frazier realized a young girl had been struck in the face by a foul ball he rocketed into the stands on Wednesday, he was overcome with emotion.

In the aftermath of the chilling incident at Yankee Stadium Wednesday, New York's win over the Minnesota Twins, and the team's pursuit of a playoff berth, have come second to concern over the girl's well-being.

Frazier, who went down on one knee and covered his face at the plate after the incident, expressed heartfelt wishes to the girl, who has not been identified.

"I thought of my kids. I have two kids under 3 years old and I just hope she's all right," Frazier told reporters after the game.

"I know the dad or whoever it was that was with them was trying their hardest, but the ball's coming at 120 miles an hour at them and the ball's hooking. So it's like if you've never seen a ball like that, which most people in the world haven't, it's very tough."

Anguished Yankees players send out heartfelt messages to little girl hit by foul ball - TODAY.com

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know we have talked about this before, but is it going to take someone dying for baseball to make it mandatory to put more netting up? There is no good reason to not extend the nets down the lines.

They've extended the netting at all minor league parks, correct?

MLB loves to give the fans a close up look to the game. Sad when someone gets hurt. It is usually the elderly or a child that is just not focused or too slow to react. I'm not opposed to a little more netting. I've had some great seats where balls come hot at you. I think I have the solution. Supply this with every ticket in the hot zone.

download (1).jpg

I know we have talked about this before, but is it going to take someone dying for baseball to make it mandatory to put more netting up? There is no good reason to not extend the nets down the lines.

I think this is the straw that broke the camel's back. Netting will be up next year. You can't tell a four year old to sit at their own risk and pay attention to the game 100%. And baseball is not going to tell people to not bring their kids.

I think this is the straw that broke the camel's back. Netting will be up next year. You can't tell a four year old to sit at their own risk and pay attention to the game 100%. And baseball is not going to tell people to not bring their kids.

Not trying to be cute, but you can't tell a 40 year old to sit at their own risk and pay attention to the game 100%. I pay attention 10000% more than my wife and kid when we're at a game. But, are there times where I'm looking at the scoreboard or something else and I miss a pitch. All it takes is one.

Hey Bob...be proactive...put the damn nets up.