Working from Home

NamecipS

Who has the option to work from home? Do you like it? Any negatives?

Sounds like we're going to pilot a program that will allow us to work from home on a more regular basis. We are allowed on occasion to do it now, but this new pilot sounds like work from home 3-4 days a week.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like we're going to pilot a program that will allow us to work from home on a more regular basis. We are allowed on occasion to do it now, but this new pilot sounds like work from home 3-4 days a week.

I have worked from home for the last 17 years and I love it.

The one negative I find is other people in your life don't always respect your at home work and think because you are at home you can act as their personal assistant/errand boy when they need something.

I could one a week from home if I asked. However, I would have to commit to always working from home that same day of the week. I like my current situation. If I need to work from home because of a pending delivery or plumber, electrician, etc., I just do it. I don't abuse that privilege however.

I've been working from home since January. I do travel a couple times a month, but no more than a day or two a week. I have an office I can go to, but it's in Chicago, so I'm not there very often. I love it. It takes some discipline, but as long as you have a plan everyday, and have a space all to yourself with the ground rules that you are not to be bothered, it is not all that difficult.

I did it for 3 years, and I loved it. There's no wasted time commuting. You can work in your boxers. At lunch, you can get stuff done around the house like cutting the grass. You don't have co-workers constantly stopping by for small talk. I could get more done when working from home than at the office.

I've been working from home since January. I do travel a couple times a month, but no more than a day or two a week. I have an office I can go to, but it's in Chicago, so I'm not there very often. I love it. It takes some discipline, but as long as you have a plan everyday, and have a space all to yourself with the ground rules that you are not to be bothered, it is not all that difficult.

This!

I never really had a true dedicated space for an office so it made it very difficult for me. Thankfully I got a great deal on some office space that's pretty close to me. I rarely work from home. I seem to get more done when I get out of the house.

If I was still working for the man I would 100% take advantage of that. It's a different story working for yourself.

I think we were the first group to do it where we work. I thought I would hate it and probably be fired within a couple months for being lazy. But I ended up loving it. I work 3 days a week from home and get more OT this way. There is not many times I'll drag my butt to work on a Saturday morning, but have no issues putting 4 hours in at the house on a Saturday. The only issue that may arise, if you work more from home than in the office, a supervisor has to do a home office check once a year for compliance. If you have specific questions, you can pm me.

But, I also live alone so if you have small kids at home, Yiu could have a problem.

I work from home at least once a week, formally. I have one of "those" jobs though, so I do usually put in 4-6 hours on Saturdays and Sundays as well.

I absolutely LOVE working from home. And I would be overjoyed to be able to work 5 days from home.

Been doing it 22 years. Biggest part of the discipline at first was never stop working. I can get calls or emails 24/7 since my office is 3 hours behind and I deal with Hong Kong every day. Needed to stop rushing to the phone or checking the office computer all the time. Than with kids, always had sitters or the wife taking care of them. When dad was sick, he called me several times for trips to the DR. Asked him why he never called my brother and his answer was because he was working !!!!

That didn't sit well. He would schedule appointments around lunch in the hoped that we would dine out. He never realized his appointment was my lunch break.

Love it now. Would have a very hard time going back to an office.

The only time I worked from home was when I was a stay at home mom. Like the Guru said, all the "working moms" thought I had nothing to do but help them out.

Professionally, I could never work from home. Not disciplined enough. Plus, I like having a place of my own to go and interacting with co-workers. To me, it is nice to have something totally separate from my home, friends and family. Then, when I leave work, I LEAVE WORK. Two totally different, but awesome worlds.