4A #4 John Hardin vs. 5A #1 Bowling Green at WKU (8/20)

DragonFire

Who wins?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

Series Overall: Bowling Green leads 5-2

Series at Neutral: First Meeting

Last Meeting: 11/29/13 - at Bowling Green 33 John Hardin 28

One of the best first week games by rankings features the revival of a playoff rivalry that hasn't seen a regular season matchup in 14 years. Bowling Green and John Hardin played a series of classics (and one catastrophic blowout) in five playoff meetings from 2007-2013, four of which determined who would advance to the state finals. Most notably, the last three of those, from 2011-2013, were essentially de facto state titles games, all won by Bowling Green. John Hardin likely feels that the Purples took the rings right off their fingers in 2012 & 2013. 2012 was the famous (or infamous depending on which side) Hitch & Pitch play that took Bowling Green from being down to their last down as time was running out on their own side of their field to scoring via a two point conversion for the win. 2013 saw the Purples come back and take the lead away late again, denying the Bulldogs from their first state final appearance since 2009. The last time these teams met in the regular season was back in 2002 when they were in a district together, which was won by John Hardin 26-16 in the last losing season the Purples have had.

As for this year, it sees the Bowling Green offensive juggernaut rolling into their first test. The Purples are on a 12 game winning streak, and are incredibly heavy favorites to roll through their schedule. They feature a Mr. Football candidate in Jamale Carothers, a three star linebacker in Justice Dingle, a dynamic receiver in DeAngelo Wilson, newly added 6'7" Kyran Jones on loan from the basketball team also at wide receiver, swiss army knife player Ziyon Kenner who will line up at RB and WR, and one of the best freshmen in the state in Vito Tisdale, to say nothing of the many other talented players. The Purples have not lost in their annual Rafferty's Bowl since 2006, and no team has come within 15 points of them since. In other words, they're a heavy favorite.

John Hardin has stumbled out of the gate lately, and will likely have a tough time in this outing as well. They allowed over 20 points per game last season, and will struggle to slow down the dynamic Purple offense. They do return a whole lot of experience, including Robert Shorter, Steven Livers, and Antonio Ayers out of the backfield. They have four returning linemen from the OL + TE front, and add the athleticism of Anthony Witherspoon back to the team.

By ranking, it's a marquee matchup. Will the product on the field match at all?

BG will win this one, if for no other reason, JH's offensive line. I hope the line doesn't crumble under the pressure they are going to see, but I am afraid they will. I do believe JH has some very good athletes, but that won't matter if they can't block BG. Good news for JH is this will be the best team they play all year.

I just can't see John Hardin keeping it competitive. Too much talent for BG. I bet X has the only chance of beating them this year on their schedule. I think John Hardin could and will have a good year, but BG it just freight train. One thing I will give John Hardin is they haven't avoided playing big boys the past couple years in openers. South Warren and now Bowling Green. Someone mentioned a slow start the past couple years. I think all teams would start slow playing these giants. Ouch.

Looking forward to this weekend. Thanks Dragonfire for a great pre-game report. I think more than anything the Purples are just anxious to take the field this year. As noted, the offense is going to be difficult to contain. Many weapons.

What makes game interesting is the new QB for JH and the addition of Weatherspoon. Folks that follow BG and the folks from Etown has been waiting to see Witherspoon from JH on the same field as Vito Tisdale from BG. Two highly touted young kids. It will be a fun game to watch.

BG offensive and defensive lines are very solid this year. The addition of Dingle on Defense for BG has made an above average front 8 an A+ front 8. If anyone kept up with BG for several years and can remember Robert Reynolds, (Ohio State and TennesseeTitan) Dingle is on his way to that level of a player. He (junior!) really is a special talent.

Purple fans are rooting for Jamale Caruthers to have an awesome farewell season. No one ever thought that Avery Hibbitt scoring record for BG would get broken then along comes this kid. Saturday night he starts his quest for 28 TDs to break the scoring record. I predict 3 TDs for Caruthers Saturday night at the Purples make a loud statement to the rest of the state for a very impressive offensive explosion.

Let the games begin

The matchup between Witherspoon and Vito won't happen. Witherspoon is primarily used on the defensive side of the ball. Which says a lot about JH skill position talent on offense. Unfortunately for JH, that's where most of their talent lies. The offensive line will be exposed greatly against BG. Daviess County continually penetrated the backfield in the scrimmage. On the defensive side John is not that bad; BG will be too much for them though...good news is they won't face anyone like BG's offensive talent the rest of the year. Should be a good year for the Dawgs just not this weekend. BG 55-JH 20

This game will be played at WKU this Saturday at 8pm, as part of the Rafferty's Bowl. The Purples are obviously the favorite in this one, however John Hardin is certainly a formidable opponent. The Bulldogs finished 9-4 last season, losing to Shelby County in the 3rd round of the playoffs. Bowling Green finished 14-1, winning yet another state championship, their only loss came from Louisville St. Xavier. Even though the Purples are a heavy favorite, this game should shed some light on how John Hardin will fare this season. What do you think?

This game will be played at WKU this Saturday at 8pm, as part of the Rafferty's Bowl. The Purples are obviously the favorite in this one, however John Hardin is certainly a formidable opponent. The Bulldogs finished 9-4 last season, losing to Shelby County in the 3rd round of the playoffs. Bowling Green finished 14-1, winning yet another state championship, their only loss came from Louisville St. Xavier. Even though the Purples are a heavy favorite, this game should shed some light on how John Hardin will fare this season. What do you think?

I don't think this game will shed any light on how John Hardin fares this season. I expect a deep playoff run for John Hardin.