10th Region Rankings & Weekly Review (12-21-15)

There is no change this week with teams 1 and 2, but the rest of the Top 10 squads all have a new spot as we start Week #4. As we've touched on before, this kind of movement will likely become the norm each week.

#1 - Paris (5-1)

Terence Brooks' club played its first game as the #1 team in the 10th Region on Tuesday night, and the Hounds were impressive in dominating host Robertson County 109-57. Seven Paris players registered double figures, led by Wan Dumphord's 19 and Marcus Ashford's 15. On Friday night the Greyhounds held off visiting Frankfort 68-64. Point guard James Clark topped the winners with 18 points, while Koebe Garrard scored 15 and Jekobi Wells 13.

#2 - Campbell County (4-4)

It would have been impossible to imagine the Camels retaining the #2 spot in the rankings after two less than stellar performances to start Week 3. On Tuesday night Covington Catholic came to town and smacked the Camels around, winning 76-46. Matt Wilson (17) and Cole Hegyi (13) combined to score 30 of Campbell's 46. The next night Aric Russell's team dropped another one, this time 52-49 at Dixie Heights. Wilson went for 19 and 10, but I'm sure the 6'9" center would have traded that for a W. But the two-time defending 10th Region champs regrouped, went through a lineup change, and secured a huge 53-50 victory at Montgomery County on Friday night. Wilson's 24 points and 13 boards led the way, and Hegyi chipped in with 13 as the Camels jumped out to a sizable lead early and held on for their biggest win of the young season.

#3 - Mason County (6-1)

The Royals were victorious in both of their outings last week--both games taking place away from The Fieldhouse. First came a Tuesday night 79-74 win at Bracken County, which saw Pig Williams continue his strong play by scoring a team-high 30 points, including 5-10 3-point shooting. The stellar point guard was not a one-man show, however, as three other Royals registered double figures: Conner Sweeney had 17, Darren Williams 13, and Jaylen Lofton 10. On Thursday night Mason County hammered East Carter 84-52, with the freshman Lofton scoring 19 points. Sweeney had 16, Isiah Garrison 16, and Pig Williams 10.

#4 - Montgomery County (5-3)

Montgomery County jumped on Bourbon County early on Tuesday night in Mt. Sterling. The Indians led the Colonels 23-8 after the first frame and cruised to a 66-53 victory. Jerryd Jones had a solid performance of 24 points and 12 rebounds, while freshman Brennan Canada scored 14 and Caswell Fuller contributed 8 points and 10 assists. In the aforementioned loss to Campbell County on Friday, Fuller was the only Indian to notch double figures with 18 as MoCo fell short 53-50.

#5 - Scott (3-3)

The Eagles dropped both games in Week 3, starting with a 68-61 home loss to an impressive Covington Holy Cross team on Tuesday night. Scott jumped out to an early lead that it managed to keep until the buzzer sounded to end the 3rd quarter. That's when Indians guard Tyler Bezold drained a 3 to give Holy Cross a 51-49 advantage. The Eagles were outscored 17-12 in the 4th leading to the final score. Jake Ohmer's 26 points and Andrew Trame's 16 paced Scott. Friday night saw Brad Carr's squad suffer a 39-point loss (80-41) at Scott County. The Eagles fell behind 22-4 after one quarter, and things didn't get much better from there. Chad Ohmer scored 18 points to lead in a losing effort.

#6 - George Rogers Clark (3-4)

GRC fell behind 14-2 to start Tuesday night's contest at Woodford County. The Cards battled back, however, and with 1:30 left in the game the score was tied at 62. Only 2 more points would be scored in the game...by the host Yellow Jackets, making the final 64-62. Jyles Anderson topped the Cardinals with 22 points in the loss. Clark rebounded with a Friday night 73-61 win over West Carter in Rowan County's Kentucky Bank Challenge. Jordan Menchen scored 28 points in the win, draining 5-9 treys. James Cornelius had a double-double of 13 points and 11 rebounds. Scott Humphrey's club finished the week at home against another 16th Region opponent, but this time Clark fell short to Ashland 59-51. No Cardinal player earned double figures in the defeat.

#7 - Pendleton County (4-4)

The Wildcats move up a couple of spots this week after earning a pair of road wins. Pendleton started with a hard-fought 73-67 win at Augusta on Monday night. Freshman Donatie Allen continued his strong play, scoring a team-high 26 points and grabbing 11 rebounds. Wade Browning added 15 points in the victory. Both Allen and Browning connected on 3-6 3-point field goals. On Thursday night Allen scored 34 points and gathered 13 rebounds as the Wildcats upended Tates Creek 71-64. Mason Dennie contributed 11 points in the win.

#8 - Augusta (6-2)

First-year Panthers coach Brian Kirk had his jersey retired before Monday night's battle with Pendleton County, but Kirk's club wasn't able to pull out the victory, falling 73-67 to the Wildcats, whose defense gave the Panthers fits all game long. Senior guard Connor Maddox scored 27 points in a losing effort. The next night Augusta used a strong second half to pull away from Ripley (OH) 63-45. Owens Crawford scored 18 to lead Augusta, with Maddox tossing in 16. On Friday night 11 Panthers scored, with Maddox's 14 leading the way, as Kirk's squad overpowered Heritage Academy 60-22.

#9 - Bracken County (5-3)

The host Polar Bears led Mason County 57-54 with 6:30 remaining in Tuesday night's 39th District showdown, but Pig Williams and the Royals took control the rest of the way as the visitors won 79-74. Junior Austin Crawford earned 32 points and 13 rebounds in the loss. But Jason Hinson's team rebounded for a pair of weekend wins, starting with a 71-66 OT victory over visiting Bishop Brossart on Friday. Crawford keyed the victory, scoring a game-high 34 points while also grabbing 10 rebounds. Fellow junior Jacob Hamilton added 12 points. On Saturday in Rowan County's Kentucky Bank Challenge, Crawford went for 21 and 15 as the Bears upended Paintsville 69-56. Hamilton added 18 points on 7-10 FG shooting and 4-4 FT shooting.

#10 - Bishop Brossart (4-2)

The Mustangs visited Bracken County on Friday night, playing their first game in just over a week. Brossart fought hard and had a chance to win in regulation, but the Polar Bears forced OT and ended up winning 71-66. Jackson Crawford paced the Stangs with 24 points. Mike Code's club came back the next day, however, to score a 60-51 win over Highlands. Crawford again led with 18 points and 9 rebounds, while John Ridder added 14 and Jacob Zai 13.

#11 - Harrison County (4-4)

The Thorobreds went 1-2 in Week 3, beginning with a 59-53 Monday night home loss to Madison Central. Jovon Williams was the high-scorer for Larry Kendall's team with 14 points. Zack Pulliam finished with a double-double of 12 points and 11 rebounds. Playing at home again on Friday night, Harrison found itself down 34-25 at halftime to Grant County, but the Breds outscored the Braves 16-2 in the 3rd quarter, en route to a 61-55 win. Williams and Pulliam led Harrison again with 16 and 15 points, respectively. Saturday's game at Anderson County was sort of the opposite of Friday's win, as the Breds and Bearcats were tied 19 all at halftime, but the hosts outscored the visitors 19-9 in the 3rd quarter. Anderson County held off Harrison County the rest of the way, winning 55-42. No Harrison County player earned double figures in the loss.

#12 - Bourbon County (1-6)

A Tuesday night 66-53 road loss to Montgomery County was the only outing for Nick Sosby's Colonels. Bourbon fell behind early and was not able to mount a comeback. Ameryon Blackburn scored 19 and Chandler Thomas 13 in the loss to the Indians.

#13 - St. Patrick (3-4)

After 8 days off, Matthew Taylor took his Saints to Breckinridge County to participate in the Farmers Bank Christmas Tournament. St. Patrick fell to the hosts on Friday 79-43, but bounced back on Saturday, nipping Fort Knox 64-58 in Overtime. The Saints will finish the tournament with an early evening contest opposite Grayson County on Monday.

#14 - Nicholas County (1-7)

The Bluejackets got into the win column during Week 3, scoring a 67-59 home victory over Robertson County on Friday. Wes Sapp paced the victors with 21 points, while Elijah Barnett added 14 and Trent Letcher 13. The win was sandwiched by a pair of losses, however, as the Jackets dropped a 73-59 road defeat at Western Hills on Monday. Barnett led in a losing effort with 15 points. Then on Saturday, Matthew Botner's club lost 85-65 to Letcher County Central in the Kentucky Bank Challenge at Rowan County. Barnett did score 23 points (10-14 FG's) and Spencer Morris chipped in with 15 points.

#15 - Calvary Christian (7-1)

Ryan Neises and the Cougars continue to be one of the 10th's most surprising stories thus far. Calvary added two more wins in Week 3, starting with a 59-38 road win at Silver Grove on Tuesday. Justin Wade scored 18 points to lead the Cougars. Aikeem Riley and Andrew Smith both scored 12 in the triumph. Calvary seemed destined for a loss on Saturday, trailing visiting Beth Haven 28-17 at intermission. But the Cougars would score 40 2nd half points to come away with a 57-54 win. Riley's 18 and Wade's 17 led the way for Neises' squad.

#16 - Robertson County (2-6)

It was a rough Week 3 start for the Black Devils, who were wallopped by #1 Paris 109-57 in Mt. Olivet on Tuesday. Mason Burden did manage 33 points and 7 rebounds in the lopsided loss. On Friday night Robertson lost to 38th District foe Nicholas County 67-59 despite Burden earning 28 points and 10 rebounds. But John Brown's bunch ended the week on a high note, defeating Latin 81-65 for a home W. Burden again led with 22 points and 9 rebounds, but he was helped by Alex Schalch's 13 points and Dakota Moore's 11.

#17 - Silver Grove (0-8)

Randy Kuntz scored 24 points and pulled down 7 rebounds, but the Big Trains lost at home to Calvary Christian 59-38 on Tuesday. Two nights later, Silver Grove dropped its 8th straight game at Ludlow 62-29. Kuntz scored 11 to lead Howard Brownstein's club.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mason way too high. But that's just my humble opinion. MoCo had an impressive win at the Murph. I see a shake up next week. :thumb:

Depending on how things go today, could see a Mason and Moco championship game tomorrow night. That would tell a lot about how good this Mason county team really is.

Depending on how things go today, could see a Mason and Moco championship game tomorrow night. That would tell a lot about how good this Mason county team really is.

Agreed!

If its a MaCo vs MoCo final I may go watch that one. The games to this point have not been what I would consider "good" games beside last nights final game.

The 6:00 matchup between undefeated Lawrence Co. and Montgomery Co. might be mercifully served by having 6 referees sitting on chairs evenly spaced around the perimeter. I don't think three old guys will be able to keep up with the pace of this one. In fact, hope tournament director has paramedics close at hand. Could be a classic and indeed might tell us if Montgomery is the real deal.

Agreed!

If its a MaCo vs MoCo final I may go watch that one. The games to this point have not been what I would consider "good" games beside last nights final game.

If you could make it I would definitely try and make the 6:00 game today, that one could be fun to watch, especially if Moco plays with the same intensity they did yesterday.

The 6:00 matchup between undefeated Lawrence Co. and Montgomery Co. might be mercifully served by having 6 referees sitting on chairs evenly spaced around the perimeter. I don't think three old guys will be able to keep up with the pace of this one. In fact, hope tournament director has paramedics close at hand. Could be a classic and indeed might tell us if Montgomery is the real deal.

Now you've peaked my interest.

I've seen 11 of the top 12 teams this year (according to our rankings). Have yet to see #1 Paris.

What I like about Campbell County is Matt Wilson. He has no equal in the 10th Region because of his size & he can change the game without the ball being in his hands.

What I like about Montgomery County is their unselfishness and the back court. The freshman Canada is impressive too. Nice player.

What I like about Mason County is their quickness and the PG play of Pig Williams.

What I like about Scott is two-fold: 1) Brad Carr on the sidelines. 2) Jake Ohmer.

What I like about GRC is they have three legit scorers in Anderson, Cornelius, & Menchen. Cornelius is a bull down low.

What I like about Pendleton County is Dontaie Allen's versatility & the PG play of Hunter Wood.

What I like about Augusta is they have 3 kids who've been there, done that, and got the tee shirt(s).

What I like about Bracken County is they are very difficult to defend man-to-man because of Crawford & Hamilton.

What I like about Bishop Brossart is their defensive intensity and the front court duo of Crawford & Hickman.

What I like about Harrison County is the improved play of both Williams & Commodore.

What I like about Bourbon County is the underrated duo of Blackburn & Thomas.

After yesterday's games we can expect big shake-ups this week. Camels lose another one to Holmes missing front end of one and ones four consecutive times. Scott Eagles lose their fourth consecutive game, the last two being 30+ beat downs from Scott Co. & Lex Christian. Before last three games Ohmer was avg 38.5 points....last two beatdowns the team has avg 38.5 points and gave up nearly twice that many to the opponents. Finally Mason and Montgomery looked awfully strong in Mike Murphy Classic wins. Could meet in finals with one more win each.

Edited by Oldercoach
Word omission

Oh my! Scott Eagles lose 5th in row and Campbell Co. loses 5th of last 6 games. Too, early to think these recent 10th Region powers are at the end of the rope. Carr and Russel will be righting these ships soon. In the meantime they will at least need to tie a knot in the end of the rope and teach the boys to hang on. Losing can become a habit. Don't think these proven coaches will let that happen.