Floyd Central High School

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3A I think.

If my math is correct — and my math's not always great since I'm a words kinda guy — looks like they'll be slotted into the 400 boys neighborhood, which lands them on the upper end of 3A, but still well below 4A. Given population bleed in the mountains, there won't be any worry about them having to go to Greenup Co. for district games.

Jaguars? Boo!!!! So lame and bland.

When will one of these consolidated schools finally name their team the Miners?

Yup. It's not like another mountain-area school -- North Laurel -- already has dibs on Jaguars. And not that they'll likely play (Louisville) Mercy, but they're the Jags, too.

Miners would have been awesome. As would have Mountain Cats or Mountain Hawks or Mountain Lions or some such.

Heck, go with Hilltoppers (although WKU and the Presentation Toppers might not like that).

Floyd Central can go 3A-D7 or 3A-D8 relatively easily.

However, some 2-A team will drop to 1-A to get it back to 32 teams (currently 32, losing South Floyd would drop it to 31).

No, 1A has 33. Fort Knox petitioned to go down and was allowed. When South Floyd closes, 1A will be at their regular 32.

No, 1A has 33. Fort Knox petitioned to go down and was allowed. When South Floyd closes, 1A will be at their regular 32.

You're absolutely correct. Forgot about that. Good call.

Fort Knox petitioned correctly. That school is shrinking. Because of the changes made at the base, a different type of soldier (younger) is on base than before. Therefore meaning not really old enough to have teens of their own.

Fort Knox may be a mid-size 1-A school in the next 5-10 years.

Won't that require a lot of shifting of teams or will there be a 3-team district out east?

South Floyd is currently in a 5-team district so when they exit that will become a 4-teamer. District 5 currently has 5 teams (Berea, Bracken, Brossart, Nicholas, Paris) and District 6 has 3 (Fairview, Paintsville, Raceland). I'm guessing those will stay the same. I think the KHSAA may have aligned with the knowledge that this South Floyd merger was coming, similar to how the McCracken schools were all put in five-team districts prior to their closing.

Jaguars? Boo!!!! So lame and bland.

When will one of these consolidated schools finally name their team the Miners?

I totally agree. Boring.

The mountains need a school with the "Miners" just like rural/agricultural KY needs it's next school to be the "Aggies". Why neither have been done before I have no idea.

There for the taking and you'd be the only ones in the state with that mascot, plus some geographical meaning.

Actually in the 90's when Wheelwright and McDowell high school's combined to make South Floyd they talked about using the name "Miners" which makes sense and brings out a lot of pride in what eastern Kentucky is about...but the name "miners" wasn't cool enough and they voted for Raiders. Again...I think they should reconsider the name Jaguars and take on the name of Miners...use a lot of UTEP's logo stuff.