Which Feels Worse? 2010 or 2015?

Hatz

Since things are slow around this forum, I thought I'd start this discussion. This is for UK fans. Which team has left you feeling worse? The upset in the Regional Final to WVU and the loss in 2010 or the loss to Wisconsin in the Final Four this season?

Here we are in the middle of May and I think I hurt worse now over the Wisconsin game than I did right after. When this group gets drafted by the NBA and goes on to their careers I have to believe I will sit back and say: "How did the Cats NOT win that game?"

I've heard that lament for years about the Cousin's, Wall, Bledsoe group. But I think I hurt worse with this one. Probably because they were so close to immortality. If KY wins in 2010, they snap the streak of Final Fours and add another title. But this team was on the cusp of undefeated.

Is anyone else lamenting like me? Or is it because I sit in ACC country and have to listen to the ACC fans?

Any thoughts?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2015, but I think it's because of the timing.

In 2010, Cal was in his first year & we hadn't been relevant in the previous four seasons. In 2015, the program was back to elite status, had won a title, & been to Final Fours three of the last four seasons.

So for me, it's less about the rosters & more about the timing.

2015 and it is not even close. We can debate how good each teams were or how good their opponents were, but UK was on the brink of something stupid special. In 2010 as well the bar had been lowered for the program so the sting was less.

This year is worse, for sure. In all likelihood, the 2014-15 team will be a once in a lifetime team. Had a great chance at being 40-0 and National Champion, with 7 NBA players. We'll never see that opportunity again. Ever.

On a side note .. someone asked me after the Wisconsin game ... which was worse, 2015 or Laettner? Without hesitation, I said 2015, and I'll still stick by that. 1992 was a fairy tale, and despite being a #2 seed, UK had no business being in that epic game. That win, and a FF appearance would have been the icing on the cake. 2015 should have been National Champions, and came up short. A much bigger disappointment.

This year is worse, for sure. In all likelihood, the 2014-15 team will be a once in a lifetime team. Had a great chance at being 40-0 and National Champion, with 7 NBA players. We'll never see that opportunity again. Ever.

On a side note .. someone asked me after the Wisconsin game ... which was worse, 2015 or Laettner? Without hesitation, I said 2015, and I'll still stick by that. 1992 was a fairy tale, and despite being a #2 seed, UK had no business being in that epic game. That win, and a FF appearance would have been the icing on the cake. 2015 should have been National Champions, and came up short. A much bigger disappointment.

Call me odd but for me the '92 team was just what you described. It was a team that warmed the UK fan's heart. They played their absolute best and were just over 2 seconds from the Final Four vs one of the greatest teams of all time. They went out on their shield.

Wisconsin, I didn't feel that way. I will give the Badgers credit for executing a great game plan and winning the game. But I don't think UK met the challenge with their best effort. Why? I don't know. Just how I feel.

The result of both of these tournaments pleases me.

You know Grizz that might be why it stings so much for me. UK could possible have 2 more titles and Duke 2 less. :lol2:

Still, nothing is a foregone conclusion and Duke may have beaten the Cats in both of those years. We will never know because UK didn't play up to their part of that bargain and lost. :thumb:

Not gonna lie, I haven't really thought about it since about April 7th or 8th.

Neither really "hurt", but I'll say I was more disappointed in 2010 because they were heads and shoulders above everyone that year. I feel this year there were a handful of teams that while not on their level were close enough that a loss to wouldn't surprise me.

Not gonna lie, I haven't really thought about it since about April 7th or 8th.

Neither really "hurt", but I'll say I was more disappointed in 2010 because they were heads and shoulders above everyone that year. I feel this year there were a handful of teams that while not on their level were close enough that a loss to wouldn't surprise me.

This is true. The loss wasn't that shocking, it was just a shock to the system to finally experience a loss, if that makes sense.