How Many Have Performed CPR, The Heimlich, Or First Aid?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My experience giving the Heimlich was about 4 years ago. A lady at a cookout was choking on a big chunk of raw broccoli from a vegetable tray.

I've never performed CPR (thank God).

I've performed first aid several times - and for the record, I'm talking first aid for things a bit more serious than knicks, cuts, scratches, and bruises. Most of those have been related to construction sites, so I'd almost disqualify those. I had to administer first aid to a kid today who absolutely gashed his foot open randomly in a park, though. We're talking a 4" long, 3/8" deep gash with a 2-1/2 foot diameter pool of blood around him. I'd count that one.

CPR once on my job...2 years ago, a guy on the floor above us had a heart attack, and a couple people ran down to our floor looking for people who could perform CPR. I too am certified because I'm a coach, so I went up....unfortunately the guy didn't make it. That was a tough one that took some time to get over, even though I didn't know the guy personally. Those of us that did CPR were told there was nothing we could have done. Still didn't make me feel any better.

I've dealt with broken bones, dislocations and concussions during practices....the worst was a compound arm fracture. First aid in that case was just keeping the kid calm , immobilizing the arm and calling 911

I've done all 3-CPR, Heimlich and First Aid.

CPR and Heimlich at a restaurant(2 separate occasions). First Aid at a motorcycle accident. Never had to use AED but use to work for a company that made them so I know how to use them. I've heard many life saving stories using the AED.

Had to be certified in CPR and first aid; first as a lifeguard, then as a counselor at a halfway house. Only had to use it once, on someone who had been at the bottom of a pool for about hald a minute. Everything turned out just fine.