Will the NCAA Investigate former Duke player Lance Thomas?

halfback20

On Dec. 21, 2009, Lance Thomas, then a senior starting forward at Duke, walked into Rafaello & Co., a boutique jeweler on 47th Street in midtown Manhattan that caters to celebrities and professional athletes.

The 21-year-old Thomas bought a black diamond necklace, a diamond-encrusted watch, a diamond cross, diamond earrings, and a black diamond pendant in the shape of Jesus' head. The grand total: $97,800. He paid $30,000. The bill of sale called for the rest within 15 days.

The payment never came, and when the Associated Press on Friday reported the details of his spending spree in a lawsuit seeking payment from Thomas, it sounded the opening bell to what could be a landmark case that affects all of college athletics.

Not only does the NCAA have a potential infractions case on its hands that could touch Mike Krzyzewski's legendary program and cause the vacating of Duke's 2010 NCAA title, it could serve as proof of whether the NCAA is truly willing to equally enforce its rules no matter the accused.

Or whether its current system is even still viable

Lance Thomas lawsuit could test integrity of NCAA - Yahoo! Sports

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So stepping away from the "silly UK fans wanting to discuss allegations against Duke" mentality, what do you guys think?

I think Lance Thomas is an idiot and his selfish actions could likely cost Duke a championship and stain Coach K's legacy. I just want to know why in the hell he needed 97K in jewelry when he was a college student. Idiot. That's what I think.

It's more fun to watch you guys cry about it. We knew it was just a matter of time. Plus we were wondering who would start it. I was wrong.

I never cry about Duke. I would love to know what you think should happen though.

I think Lance Thomas is an idiot and his selfish actions could likely cost Duke a championship and stain Coach K's legacy. I just want to know why in the hell he needed 97K in jewelry when he was a college student. Idiot. That's what I think.

So if he does, should Coach K be looked at like most people do Coach Cal? I mean there's no way Coach K didn't know Lance had all that jewelry right?

I have no clue how the NCAA will treat it. I hope they investigate it as thoroughly as they can and make the best decision possible. Unfortunately even if Lance is proven to have legally obtained the 30K down payment the perception is going to be that the NCAA looked the other way because Duke was involved. It's a no win situation for Duke fans.

So if he does, should Coach K be looked at like most people do Coach Cal? I mean there's no way Coach K didn't know Lance had all that jewelry right?

No clue. I would think someone told him that Lance had 97K in jewelry at some point. If not, they get what they should have coming to them. How in the world can a kid make a purchase like that and hide it from anyone in Durham? Add in the fact that they are 8 miles away from UNC and everyone in that area knows who Lance Thomas is I have a hard time believing they didn't know about his jewelry. Shoot, if the dude is suing him, I have a hard time believing the jeweler didn't contact Coach K for the money.