Silver Grove over schedule limit????

dell

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Everybody in" system of football in a basketball thread? Now, there's some irony! :lol:

I assume that you meant do away with basketball's everybody in playoff system?

Keep in mind football only plays one game a week so with everyone making the tourney it takes forever. In hoops they burn through the districts in a week, than the region in a week and for the lucky 16 it is a weekend. I do remember taking thanksgiving weekend to watch the finals of state in football.

Also. When does the counting of games end? If they have played 32 already they have potentially 10 more left if they would win it all.

Bigback, you do a great job with those kids, I admire you stepping up for a mistake you made. The Grove would be fools to punish you. I hope the KHSAA is also kind to you. Keep up the hard work and good luck tonight.

I don't want to threadjack, but you really don't want to walk down this road.

Basketball has ONE class, football has SIX. Drop football to a single class, and I'm all for everyone making the postseason. Heck, drop football to two, or even three classes and I'm all for it.

Football has fewer teams than boys and girls basketball, baseball, softball, etc., yet many more classes, and thus easily the softest road to a state title. Who would have thought such a tough sport played by tough people would become the, "feel good; everybody gets an orange slice," sport in this state?

And by the way, the Sweet 16 is the cash cow that drives the bus for every other sport's state tournament. I'd go easy on biting the hand that feeds ya.

Totally agree Sandman! Football's argument is always how many kids "play" the sport.

Way to step up Coach. Go Trains! Here is hoping your kids play 42 games this year!

Football is the culprit for squeezing the basketball season to where it is now.

Do away with the "everybody in" playoff system, and end football on Thanksgiving weekend as in the past and the basketball season fits quite nicely into the December-March timeframe.

Basketball has been made to pay for the football insanity in this state.

I think the football and basketball season last about the same amount of time. Football practice opens July 15, regular season ends about 11/1 and the playoffs follow. Basketball practice begins October 15, regular season ends February 18 and the playoffs follow. Total regular season for football teams - 15 weeks. Total regular season for basketball - 18 weeks. About 5 weeks to get your state champs in football and 3 weeks to get them in basketball. Total time for seasons - 20 weeks for football and 21 weeks for basketball.

I don't want to threadjack, but you really don't want to walk down this road.

Basketball has ONE class, football has SIX. Drop football to a single class, and I'm all for everyone making the postseason. Heck, drop football to two, or even three classes and I'm all for it.

Football has fewer teams than boys and girls basketball, baseball, softball, etc., yet many more classes, and thus easily the softest road to a state title. Who would have thought such a tough sport played by tough people would become the, "feel good; everybody gets an orange slice," sport in this state?

And by the way, the Sweet 16 is the cash cow that drives the bus for every other sport's state tournament. I'd go easy on biting the hand that feeds ya.

I'll gladly walk down that road and yes, I know I'll get pelted here in the basketball forum. If you think that basketball is unfairly persecuted for only having one class where football has six, then lobby for more basketball classes. This has nothing to do with how long the post season is, anyway. If you drop down to one football class and everybody makes it, it would make the season even longer.

If you don't see the vast difference between what is required to be a competitive football team and what is required to be a competitive basketball team (which does not make one more or less worthy than the other), then I can't help you. No one can. You've obviously got some deep issues with basketball.

Speaking of cash cows, in a great many schools, football produces more revenue than boys and girls basketball combined and as a result, non-revenue producing sports such as baseball, track, golf, volleyball, etc, benefit from it. Get rid of football and see if basketball can produce for themselves AND the other sports in the same way. As far as the Sweet 16 being the cash cow for every other sport's state tournament, I won't disagree with you. That doesn't matter, though, to sports at schools that will never make a state tournament. All they will see is the revenue produced at their own school.

I think the football and basketball season last about the same amount of time. Football practice opens July 15, regular season ends about 11/1 and the playoffs follow. Basketball practice begins October 15, regular season ends February 18 and the playoffs follow. Total regular season for football teams - 15 weeks. Total regular season for basketball - 18 weeks. About 5 weeks to get your state champs in football and 3 weeks to get them in basketball. Total time for seasons - 20 weeks for football and 21 weeks for basketball.

Interesting. :thumb:

I understand sarcasm but as a team in the same district as they are I kind of see this as also a put down of their players who after all are kids...............

I'd like to offer an apology to anyone that I have offended with my post. I let the knee jerk smart aleck come out in me when reading the thread, and there's no doubt that I was tacky with my comments. My initial thought was ('Wow, this is really something that some find worth making a big deal about? Boy, this is sure gonna shake up post season play, huh?), and with that state of mind I continued on to let the sarcasm drip out of me. Keeping it to myself perhaps would've been the best route. In hindsight, rules are rules and yes, these are kids who undoubtedly bust their butts certainly more than I do and deserve more respect than the flavor of the sarcasm that I offered. Ultimately, I was just trying to be silly, but didn't take into consideration who might not have appreciated it. Although it's no justification for my ridiculous comments, I would guarantee however that I wasn't the only one who had a 'Whoop Dee Do' feeling while reading the topic of thread to begin with. :isurrender:

I would guarantee however that I wasn't the only one who had a 'Whoop Dee Do' feeling while reading the topic of thread to begin with. :isurrender:

:thumb:

It's cool, B-Ball-fan. Nice gesture.

Not my district, not my teams.

I get where you are coming from. I am a big fan of sarcasm.

I just think that even though there are likely many with your

same sentiment, we all need to know when to apply the brakes....

For the football/basketball debate, football gets there 20 weeks as the prime sport and no interruptions. Basketball starts without there full team for potentially 6 weeks of their season, basically their entire preseason. Waiting for your football players for another week and hoping one of your basketball players doesn't get hurt in a 50 point blow out is my issue with the current playoff format. Also, attendance is very poor in these blowout games. They are not money making games.

I'll gladly walk down that road and yes, I know I'll get pelted here in the basketball forum. If you think that basketball is unfairly persecuted for only having one class where football has six, then lobby for more basketball classes. This has nothing to do with how long the post season is, anyway. If you drop down to one football class and everybody makes it, it would make the season even longer.

If you don't see the vast difference between what is required to be a competitive football team and what is required to be a competitive basketball team (which does not make one more or less worthy than the other), then I can't help you. No one can. You've obviously got some deep issues with basketball.

Speaking of cash cows, in a great many schools, football produces more revenue than boys and girls basketball combined and as a result, non-revenue producing sports such as baseball, track, golf, volleyball, etc, benefit from it. Get rid of football and see if basketball can produce for themselves AND the other sports in the same way. As far as the Sweet 16 being the cash cow for every other sport's state tournament, I won't disagree with you. That doesn't matter, though, to sports at schools that will never make a state tournament. All they will see is the revenue produced at their own school.

Absolutely!:thumb:

I'm not going to pelt you because this is a basketball forum, or because I have some deep issues with basketball. Whatever that means. I'm going to pelt you for faulty logic, ignoring facts, and twisting the truth. To the bolded:

A. Lobbying for more classes in basketball is useless, as the KHSAA cash cow is the Sweet 16, and there's no chance they'd change it.

B. An entire paragraph with no substance, makes it hard to respond, except maybe you should point out the vast differences you speak of. Just saying they are there doesn't make them exsist. Then, you want to take some sort of half-jacked shot at me. FWIW, I've been much more closely involved in high level programs in both sports in two states than I let on. So, yeah, I know a bit about what I'm talking about.

C. Define vast amount, just saying it doesn't make it true. I know some schools make money in football, some don't, many break close to even. I know how much football expenses are, and how few home games they have so the math isn't what a lot of football people try to sell. A for instance, in 1995 Highlands football went to the state championship game, and LOST money.

D. The money generated from the Sweet 16, is critical to the exsistence of the KHSAA, and therefore every sport at every school in the association benefits. Everyone knows that.

At the end of the day, I enjoy high school football as much as anyone. This is why I criticize the watered down version of the sport with so few good playoff matchups, we now see in this state. But, what really irks me are the loyalists, apologists, or whatever for the sport who want to continue to spin everything through football only glasses.

There are 11 kids playing at a time every fall in Soccer games all over the state, with the goal of maybe beating 150 or so other soccer teams to be crowned a state champion. In the biggest and smallest class in football there are 11 kids playing at time every fall hoping to beat 31 other teams with the goal of being a state champion. Do the math and tell me again how this is fair?