Detroit Tigers land Prince Fielder for 9 years and $214m

EZ Living

Any Reds fan with their eyes open should have known they couldn't afford Votto before this contract...

Correct, Red's fans should have no illusions. He's gone after the next two season which is why we are seeing the push to win now. After 2013 there will be no Votto and probably Phillips.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only good thing, many of the top paying clubs are in long term deals with their first basemen. I guess it only takes 2 teams to drive the price up though.
This proves that you only need one team. I don't think the Tigers were in a bidding war with anyone. With starting bids for the Dodgers at $1.3B the new owners should have the money to hand Votto a hefty contract.

The only good thing, many of the top paying clubs are in long term deals with their first basemen. I guess it only takes 2 teams to drive the price up though.

The Red Sox will be looking for a DH to replace Big Papi who is currently year to year on his contract. The Dodgers will be interested as well. Votto will not come at a discount unless he suffers some kind of health problems the next couple of seasons.

Tigers 2012 ALCS Champs.

This is a great move by the Tigers. Cabrera can play 4 positions and Fielder can play 2. Fielder doesn't ever want to sit. He is already durable and you just added 2-3 years by mixing in a DH role.

Why is it a big deal when a team gives a player a ton of money? Obviously, they have done something to earn it. If they weren't worth it, they wouldn't get it.

Tigers 2012 ALCS Champs.

This is a great move by the Tigers. Cabrera can play 4 positions and Fielder can play 2. Fielder doesn't ever want to sit. He is already durable and you just added 2-3 years by mixing in a DH role.

Why is it a big deal when a team gives a player a ton of money? Obviously, they have done something to earn it. If they weren't worth it, they wouldn't get it.

3B, 1B, and ???

Edit: I realize you are counting DH as playing a position.

Tigers 2012 ALCS Champs.

Cabrera can play four positions? Yes, but badly. He's a 1B-DH and nothing more. If they try him at 3B, it will be a short-lived experiment.

A classic case of an owner overruling his baseball people. Those situations rarely work out.

Cabrera can play four positions? Yes, but badly. He's a 1B-DH and nothing more. If they try him at 3B, it will be a short-lived experiment.

A classic case of an owner overruling his baseball people. Those situations rarely work out.

Didn't realize we had a BGP'er in the Tigers organization. :p:D

Outfield.

I realize he is larger than he was in Florida and he will not be able to play out there at home. But, stick him in left field at Fenway.

I'm sure Miggy could play anywhere on the field. But I certainly wouldn't advise sticking him in the OF. Considering DH is a position that anyone can play I don't really count it. But as of right now I'd put him down as capable of manning the hot corner. With him and Prince on the corners the Tigers will have some pretty pathetic IF defense...