Detroit Tigers land Prince Fielder for 9 years and $214m

EZ Living

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will work well for 2 or 3 years then you have 6 or 7 years of gross over payment coming.

See that's what I'm saying. I mean maybe something will happen that surprises us all but I feel it's far more likely that things pan out exactly the way we expect them to.

I'm not viewing it on his past but rather the fact that 9 years is a long time, especially for someone that's over weight. If he hurts one of his legs in the next two years then recovery IMO will be harder than for someone that's not over weight. I just think I would've had a easier time accepting a 5 year contract rather than a 9 year contract. With that said I thought Pujols contract was too long as well.

Fielder rarely runs. His chances of having a heart attack are better than pulling a hamstring.

Fielder rarely runs. His chances of having a heart attack are better than pulling a hamstring.

Eh I've seen him do something that looked like running once or twice. But regardless I think they signed him for too long for as much as he weighs I don't see him getting lighter as the years go buy.

Isn't Prince Fielder on of the most dependable guys in the National League? I thought he was one of those guys that has never had a significant injury and rarely misses starts.

Think Ken Griffey Jr. here with the length of this contract when he started having problems with the legs.

What's Cecil and Prince's beef?

I think Cecil wanted(felt he deserved) some of Prince's money after Prince made it to the big leagues. He helped negotiate Prince's first contract. Cecil had some gambling problems as well and after going after Prince's money apparently the whole family quit talking to Cecil. I need to do more research to get the whole story. Got this off of Wikipedia.

Gambled away his rookie signing bonus is a possibility.

Personally, I was hoping that the market had deflated a bit. As a Reds fan, it is discouraging that Fielder got such a huge contract. Simply put, the Reds will not be able to afford Joey Votto. It is 2012 or bust, as far as I'm concerned.
Any Reds fan with their eyes open should have known they couldn't afford Votto before this contract...