Holy Cross 64 Dixie Heights 62 (OT)

Why don't you guys stay on the thread topic for once? Why does every thread that involves NKY have to involve Holmes, the thread is about HC and Dixie. If you want a thread about HC and Holmes, why don't you start one? Talk about the results of this game between Dixie and HC, I am sure that there is enough to talk about out of this OT game.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only one talkin crazy is you BIGZIG. What matchup problems has Edmonson ever created? There's two ways that you can play Edmonson. 1) He's making his outside shot so you make sure Laible or Ryan have a hand in his face or 2) He's not hitting his shot and he's a total non-factor in the game. All he does is shoot threes it's really not to tough to defend. Also, since when does Austin Hill create matchup problems for anyone? Not saying he's a bad player but I've never really seen a team have no answer for him defensively.

:rolleyes: :laugh: O.K. whatever. But come on porter22 you should realize by now that BIGZIG likes to talk crazy. Sort of makes things a little more enjoyable on here. :cool:

Sam Lawson is one heck-of-a basketball player and considering this was his third game back from rehabbing a broken finger on his shooting hand, it puzzles me how you could consider his performance a "non-factor"? Yea, he didn't put up 20+ points, but he did add 12 points, I believe, playing tenatively, and HC played well enough to win. Congrats to Holy Cross! Try going the local YMCA and see how long it takes you to adjust your shot with a broken finger. !

You seem to be arguing that he was A)a factor and then b)he was a non-factor because of his injury.

He was a non-factor because a)Dixie had him playing in the low post and he could not get the ball very often and b)when he did get the ball Steenken made him get rid of the ball. 6 of his 12 points came while Steenken was getting his lip patched up on the bench.

Heck, last year I said the kid would be one of the top seniors in NKY. I still believe that. He simply wasn't last night. Thus, he was a non-factor.

While there do not appear to be many Dixie b-ball fans on here, I will ask anyway.

If Sam Lawson is your best player (and no doubt he is), why stick him down low which is not his game? Why not let him take the ball out top and do something with it?

As the Monty Python Flying Circus would say: "And, now for something completely different", I offer a comment about the actual HC vs Dixie game.

I thought Dixie played "not to lose" during the last few minutes of regulation and in overtime. Each time they got a lead (although it was never more than one posession), they tried to run seconds off the clock. That would be okay if they took good open shots when they presented themselves, but the few layups they attempted were contested, nearly out of control, desperation type shots. It didn't work! On the other hand, each time the score was tied or Dixie fell behind, they reverted back to their more assertive, normal offense, and "boom" they hit the shots.

I don't like prevent defense (like NFL teams occasionally use in the last few minutes). It only works when you have a reasonable lead. A one possession lead in basketball is not enough to play "not to lose".

This was a tough loss for the Colonels. They need to get over it quickly. They have the talent to make some real noise in Lexington next week. They need to believe in what they do well, and keep doing it. When they start hitting on 5 or 6 cylinders at a time instead of only 2 or 3 kids doing well, they will win some big games.

And now, back to the "Search for the Holy Grail", you Indians believers can pound your chests (like clapping hands that imitate the sound of horse's hooves) about how you're going to "beat those Dawgs". :rolleyes:

While there do not appear to be many Dixie b-ball fans on here, I will ask anyway.

If Sam Lawson is your best player (and no doubt he is), why stick him down low which is not his game? Why not let him take the ball out top and do something with it?

Roundball, since you seem to be the Dixie rep on here, give me your thoughts on the question above. Am I out in left-field on this?

Isn't that what cost Sam his final foul? He was out top running the point when Lantry picked his pocket and Sam fouled him from behind in retaliation.

I think Dixie runs a continuity type of offense where Sam is able to flow. The movement works because every player on the floor can shoot the three, including Sam.

Until some of the younger big men are ready to own the post, Dixie will have to play as a team and try various combinations. Lubrano is playing much bigger than he really is. He might be the team's best 3-point shooter, but his upper body strength relegates him to playing inside (at 6'1"). These kids are willing to do whatever it takes.

Isn't that what cost Sam his final foul? He was out top running the point when Lantry picked his pocket and Sam fouled him from behing in retaliation.

I think Dixie runs a continuity type of offense where Sam is able to flow. The movement works because every player on the floor can shoot the three, including Sam.

Until some of the younger big men are ready to own the post, Dixie will have to play as a team and try various combinations. Lubrano is playing much bigger than he really is. He might be the team's best 3-point shooter, but his upper body strength relegates him to playing inside (at 6'1"). These kids are willing to do whatever it takes.

It's not a bad idea to put him down there if he can kick it out effectively.

It's not a bad idea to put him down there if he can kick it out effectively.

Dixie plays unselfish ball. One of the best plays of the night was Sam threading the needle to Muzzillo for a full speed layup. Those were some tight quarters in the lane and Sam could have pulled up for the jumper, but instead he saw a higher percentage opportunity and "made it happen".

Well, I guess we'll disagree on strategy. If I'm the opponent's coach, I'm thrilled when Lawson is in the post. He's not a good low post player and he's not strong enough to score inside. Yes, he passes very well. Great. Dixie can't win win him in the post.

Yes, he got his 5th foul while out top. Is there an area he can play without potentially drawing a foul?

You cannot take your best offensive weapon, stick him in an area he can't do well, and hope to win because he passes well. The motion is fine as long as you get Lawson involved. Dixie did not. He rarely left the low block.

Well, I guess we'll disagree on strategy...

Actually, I don't think we disagree. My comments are biased by rationalization more than strategy.

Second guessing Dixie's coaches today would be kicking them while they're down. They don't have many low post options at this point, but they do have a lot of guards to work with. For example, I suspect that Muzzillo might be one of their leading rebounders thus far, but I doubt that Chevy's strategy is to count on his shortest guard to clean the glass.

The most obvious strategic plan of this season is seen in Dixie's schedule. By trading his bottom tier of competition for what is now some of his toughest challenges, Chevy seems to be willing to sacrifice some W's to strengthen his post season readiness. So, experimenting early with guys in different positions fits the plan. Hopefully their taller youth will be able to fill in as the season progresses like they did in football this year.

Regarding Sam, do you think he will be a better point or 2 guard at a small college? Obviously he won't be playing the low post for NKU next year. ;)

Did I hear them saying "Fear the frog"? What's that about?

The "frog" showed up at one of the football games this year... Simon Kenton maybe??? Usually he is perched in a crutch, but "the man" took it away from them during the rowdy Lloyd game (you've heard in another thread about their conduct). Anyway, the meaningless "Fear the Frog" chant turned into "Free the Frog" that night.

The mighty frog was seen again at the game last night, but without his crutch perch. The Frog is Free, indeed. :jump: