NKY Middle School Basketball

Jack of all Trades

The rule is outlined in the Northern Kentucky Middle School Athletic Association (NKMSAA) Handbook and By-Laws.

The ruling falls under:

Section II. Basketball

Part A. Rules Regarding conference play

Item 7

This reads - Any player that participates for any reason at the high school level in basketball is automatically ineligible for NKMSAA regular season as well as NKMSAA tournament.

It would also appear that games played after this high school participation with an ineligible player could be considered for forfeiture.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, JC43, thanks for the info! Since you know something about nkmsaa, do you know why there is no basketball record keeping this year - it always was kind of sporadic, but it was nice to get some idea of the schools wins/losses, as well as schedule. Can't find a thing on middle school ball this year.

Hey, JC43, thanks for the info! Since you know something about nkmsaa, do you know why there is no basketball record keeping this year - it always was kind of sporadic, but it was nice to get some idea of the schools wins/losses, as well as schedule. Can't find a thing on middle school ball this year.

I found this posted from last years Middle School thread. Jason Steffen (commissioner@NKMSAA.com)

Is he still the commissioner?

It's a shame the only middle school updates we get (scores/schedules/etc) is here on BGP's. Once again BGP's saves the day!

Ok first please check your statement as the KHSAA and the NKMSAA have nothing to do with each other!!!!!

The KHSAA has no such rule in place. The Northern Ky. Middle School Athletic Association can enforce a rule but the KHSAA does not apply itself to middle school sports (why it is called the Kentucky HIGH School Athletic Association). Nor does it apply itself to middle school students. Which is why a student can play a varsity sport at school A in the 8th grade and go to a high school that is not a feeder school for school A without any penalty.

If the NKMSAA does not want to allow middle school players to play both then that is their choice but do not mix the fact that this is a KHSAA rule; it is NOT.

Ok first please check your statement as the KHSAA and the NKMSAA have nothing to do with each other!!!!!

The KHSAA has no such rule in place. The Northern Ky. Middle School Athletic Association can enforce a rule but the KHSAA does not apply itself to middle school sports (why it is called the Kentucky HIGH School Athletic Association). Nor does it apply itself to middle school students. Which is why a student can play a varsity sport at school A in the 8th grade and go to a high school that is not a feeder school for school A without any penalty.

If the NKMSAA does not want to allow middle school players to play both then that is their choice but do not mix the fact that this is a KHSAA rule; it is NOT.

No one said anything about a KHSAA rule???? It was stated it was a conference rule.

I have asked the same questions. I believe the new person in charge is Thomas Foltz. That is who we send in our weekly standings to. I wish someone had the time to start a nice site and keep it updated. The coaches get a weekly update with records but not all teams give their records. I will see if I kept last weeks and try and post it.

6th grade middle school state is this weekend at the KBA. Three local teams are in, Grey, Conner and Twenhofel. Good luck to all three. Conner should do very well, strong team. Most of those kids play on the NK Wildcat AAU team that has finished very high in the AAU State. Good luck again to all three.

Saw a nice 8th grade game on Saturday. Ockerman beat Holmes at Holmes by a 46-36 margin. Thad Moss led Ockerman with 29 points and came through down the stretch when Holmes made a charge to close the margin. That charge was a result of Holmes' relentless, double-teaming pressure that led to some easy hoops, plus the Bulldogs hit their only three 3-pointers in about a 30-40 second span!

Holmes played without their center, who I understand is their best player. He obviously would have made it a different game.

But it was high energy and entertaining with both teams coming in undefeated. Not sure but I think Ockerman is now 16-0 or 17-0.

6th grade middle school state is this weekend at the KBA. Three local teams are in, Grey, Conner and Twenhofel. Good luck to all three. Conner should do very well, strong team. Most of those kids play on the NK Wildcat AAU team that has finished very high in the AAU State. Good luck again to all three.

Just curious but why do they hold this tournament in the middle of basketball season? Why not wait till end fo season, or sometime in February at least.

Ockerman/Blessed Sacrament game was a good one. Thad Moss put a missed shot back in to win the game. This was after his dad left with a minute to go. I guess Randy had some place else to be. Game was ugly with lots of turnovers. Heppler for BS fouled out on two week fouls but played very well. If Blessed makes any free throws down the stretch they win this going away.

Yes he showed up at the Boone Girls game.

I found this posted from last years Middle School thread. Jason Steffen (commissioner@NKMSAA.com)

Is he still the commissioner?

It's a shame the only middle school updates we get (scores/schedules/etc) is here on BGP's. Once again BGP's saves the day!

I do no believe he is the comish anymore and the website is no longer working.

The rule is outlined in the Northern Kentucky Middle School Athletic Association (NKMSAA) Handbook and By-Laws.

The ruling falls under:

Section II. Basketball

Part A. Rules Regarding conference play

Item 7

This reads - Any player that participates for any reason at the high school level in basketball is automatically ineligible for NKMSAA regular season as well as NKMSAA tournament.

It would also appear that games played after this high school participation with an ineligible player could be considered for forfeiture.

Rules are rules, and they should be followed -- or expect the consequences.

In the case of HHS the frosh team has had 3 players leave the program since tryouts. They are left with 9 players when all are healthy. It serves this team and its players better to have the 3 - 8th graders dress and participate than to play their schedule shorthanded. It gives the 3 - 8th graders an opportunity to play more games against older, tougher competition and hopefully helps their games improve. The result will be forfeiture of league and/or tourney games at the middle school level but right now it is better for the program at HHS to have the boys play both.

I would think the original thought for having such a rule was to keep teams from bringing players "down" for big games or for the tournament. I don't think the intent would be to punish teams that are filling a need or rewarding kids by playing them up.

Is this boys and girls? Or just boys and girls later.

Just curious but why do they hold this tournament in the middle of basketball season? Why not wait till end fo season, or sometime in February at least.

It's not the middle of the seaon for some teams. Away from NKY some teams are finished already. 6th grade is this week, 7th two weeks later and 8th two weeks after that.