Notre Dame Coach

NDA never had stability with a bunch of varsity players doubling as their JV and a coaching carousel. Last year, they had enough players, including from the parochial feeding schools, for a Varsity, JV and Frosh team. It looks like they were trying to build a program which included the involvement and development of young talent and an improved field. Were they good - not matched up vs. Ryle or Conner, but they ended up starting 7 freshmen and a sophomore, basically a JV team playing a varsity schedule with good and bad teams. And they were good enough to win a district title for the first time in 11 years which was a start and the teams in their district, barring mass improvements, are not going to catch them in the near future. You have to win your district before worrying about the region and they have no control of their district - that's the KHSAA alignment. What they now have is a foundation to build upon into the future, competition for positions and pitching depth, they never had that in prior years and coaches. The pieces are in place for a lot of success the next few years, especially in a weak district and quite frankly a very bad group of NKY teams. That's why Ryle travels outside the region so much throughout the year, no competition here.

Again, I don't think you are aware of the recent teams.

From 2006 through 2009 they had 2 above-average varsity pitchers.

I do not know much about the most recent coach and you are obviously a supporter. Beautiful. It's great to have supporters. However, do not make inaccurate generalizations about past teams. What really set the two recent teams back was ZERO players on the team that graduated in 2010. They had two solid classes in 2008 and 2009 that formed 90% of their daily lineup. When they left NDA was stuck with going very young. Tough for the new coach to come into for sure.

Your view of recent history of NDA is simply inaccurate.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NDA never had stability with a bunch of varsity players doubling as their JV and a coaching carousel. Last year, they had enough players, including from the parochial feeding schools, for a Varsity, JV and Frosh team. It looks like they were trying to build a program which included the involvement and development of young talent and an improved field. Were they good - not matched up vs. Ryle or Conner, but they ended up starting 7 freshmen and a sophomore, basically a JV team playing a varsity schedule with good and bad teams. And they were good enough to win a district title for the first time in 11 years which was a start and the teams in their district, barring mass improvements, are not going to catch them in the near future. You have to win your district before worrying about the region and they have no control of their district - that's the KHSAA alignment. What they now have is a foundation to build upon into the future, competition for positions and pitching depth, they never had that in prior years and coaches. The pieces are in place for a lot of success the next few years, especially in a weak district and quite frankly a very bad group of NKY teams. That's why Ryle travels outside the region so much throughout the year, no competition here.

Agree 100%. Like I said in post#19, this young group has good some talent. I think CLYDE might want to go checkout this young group next season and see for himself.

Define "never."

2009 was the last year I followed it closely and they had enough players. Again, I don't think you are aware of the recent teams.

From 2006 through 2009 they had 2 above-average varsity pitchers.

I do not know much about the most recent coach and you are obviously a supporter. Beautiful. It's great to have supporters. However, do not make inaccurate generalizations about past teams. What really set the two recent teams back was ZERO players on the team that graduated in 2010. They had two solid classes in 2008 and 2009 that formed 90% of their daily lineup. When they left NDA was stuck with going very young. Tough for the new coach to come into for sure.

Your view of recent history of NDA is simply inaccurate.

OK - so as a parent on the outside looking in from the fence, where we belong, let's break this down.

1) "Never" as in true softball athletes, or athletes, in general. The current team now has young athletes.

2) And an athletic supporter of NDA, not specific coaches or people. Yes, I said it - be an athletic supporter :) even in girls sports.

3) Inaccurate - we will agree to disagree but consider these facts since I have followed it closely and had a rooting interest in that class of 8 seniors - they did not have enough players.

4) They were the leftovers of the old coach, Sara, and at best had 3-4 legitimate softball players who could have played for other average to above average teams in the region. The rest of the team was fair at best. Most of the seniors had checked out before the season planning senior trips and college visits. And the team could not hit anytime during the 2008 or 2009 years, regardless of the coach.

5) Duvall and Seiter were average pitchers at best when compared to Hausfeld, Miller, Hamilton, Morgan, Robinson, Crail, etc. There was no pitching behind them after James, who was the all around best player on that team and is a 1st team 9th region player today, transferred to Dixie.

6) Peddicord, Hudson and Krallman were respectable when healthy or when they showed up.

7) Why is it that there were ZERO seniors in the Class of 2010 - can't blame the most recent coach for those numbers.

That seems pretty accurate, unless you trust Mr. Duvall's stats which are as accurate as Mel's. Take Lawnboy's advice and go watch this team regardless of the new coach, they are talented and the old coaching staff has them set up for success.

[/b]

Agree 100%. Like I said in post#19, this young group has good some talent. I think CLYDE might want to go checkout this young group next season and see for himself.

I know some of the young ladies on the team. Good young ladies. I'm not sure what next year has to do with the points I've been making.

OK - so as a parent on the outside looking in from the fence, where we belong, let's break this down.

1) "Never" as in true softball athletes, or athletes, in general. The current team now has young athletes.

2) And an athletic supporter of NDA, not specific coaches or people. Yes, I said it - be an athletic supporter :) even in girls sports.

3) Inaccurate - we will agree to disagree but consider these facts since I have followed it closely and had a rooting interest in that class of 8 seniors - they did not have enough players.

4) They were the leftovers of the old coach, Sara, and at best had 3-4 legitimate softball players who could have played for other average to above average teams in the region. The rest of the team was fair at best. Most of the seniors had checked out before the season planning senior trips and college visits. And the team could not hit anytime during the 2008 or 2009 years, regardless of the coach.

5) Duvall and Seiter were average pitchers at best when compared to Hausfeld, Miller, Hamilton, Morgan, Robinson, Crail, etc. There was no pitching behind them after James, who was the all around best player on that team and is a 1st team 9th region player today, transferred to Dixie.

6) Peddicord, Hudson and Krallman were respectable when healthy or when they showed up.

7) Why is it that there were ZERO seniors in the Class of 2010 - can't blame the most recent coach for those numbers.

That seems pretty accurate, unless you trust Mr. Duvall's stats which are as accurate as Mel's. Take Lawnboy's advice and go watch this team regardless of the new coach, they are talented and the old coaching staff has them set up for success.

Last issue first. I am not sure why you and Lawboy think I have any issue with the current girls. I admire any and all kids that come out for a team that is known as the weakest in the school. God bless them for not being frontrunners.

I guess we're into semantics. The two pitchers you mention were above-average by NKY standards but below those you mention. It's not as if they had no pitching. Very few teams have two pitchers that you know can throw strikes and be effective IF they have a good defense behind them. Neither were power pitchers so defense was key.

08 team had some girls that could play. Not enough of them but they did have some players. Two were on the Enquirer all-star team if I remember correctly and two or three other seniors were solid hitters. The 08 team challenged some good teams that year. They lost to a good Conner team in the bottom of the last inning. They simply struggled at finishing. 09: They lost offense from 08 and struggled. They had girls that were solid softball players overall - just not strong offensively. I will not debate you on the "showing up" issue. That's been a pet peeve of mine for a long, long time.

And to repeat, I've never said the coach did a poor job. If you'll go back you will see that my speculation was that it was not on-the-field W/L issues that caused him to not be retained.

NDA softball is always going to struggle for the top athletes. This past coach is just the latest in a long line of softball coaches at NDA who have had to live with that. He or supporters cannot use that as a crutch. That's known coming in and the new coach will have to understand that as well. Add in that very few of the girls play in strong development leagues and you've got a recipe for .500 in a good year. Again, all of the coaches have had that issue. Unless a stud pitcher shows up in Park Hills it's always going to be a challenge on the diamond.

No clue as to why that one class had zero players.

NDA softball is always going to struggle for the top athletes. This past coach is just the latest in a long line of softball coaches at NDA who have had to live with that. He or supporters cannot use that as a crutch. That's known coming in and the new coach will have to understand that as well. Add in that very few of the girls play in strong development leagues and you've got a recipe for .500 in a good year. Again, all of the coaches have had that issue. Unless a stud pitcher shows up in Park Hills it's always going to be a challenge on the diamond.

AMEN TO THAT - I think you're right, just semantics. Here's hoping this new group sticks together and gets a stud pitcher. :D

All I will say about the former coach is that he was a classy guy on the field. I have no idea what went on in practice, etc. I also feel that the Panda's were getting more girls coming out for the program, which I always see as a positive sign. Good luck to the former coach, and good luck to the future coach of NDA and the players.

Clyde I agree with you but ND had 170 girls come in last year, if they just get the left overs they should be good. They are a 6A School.

I will say that the "athlete" argument is a bit misleading. Softball requies less traditional athletic ability than other sports. Pitching and hitting are more skill than athletic ability. So unless these "athletes" that are not coming out today are spending a lot of time working on hitting and pitching yhey onot offer a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

:lol::lol:

Maybe Mel can be a paraprofessional AD at BBHS and Coach at Notre Dame :taz: Lawnboy needs to stick to cutting grass

I agree with the Lawnboy comment but no way should any AD be a paraprofessional and coach at one school while being the AD of another, IMO. :ohbrother:

Lets face it. Norte Dame fastpitch is sport #4 there ( Volleyball - 1, soccer - 2, basketball - 3 & fastpitch -4) Until they get a caoch that will make there girls to commit to fastpitch only (atleast during the season ) they will always be 1st or 2nd in the district and at the bottom in the region.

Lets face it. Norte Dame fastpitch is sport #4 there ( Volleyball - 1, soccer - 2, basketball - 3 & fastpitch -4) Until they get a caoch that will make there girls to commit to fastpitch only (atleast during the season ) they will always be 1st or 2nd in the district and at the bottom in the region.

It is actually #5. Track is in front of it.