Notre Dame Coach

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw they were looking for a new softball coach. Any word on why the old coach stepped down? I thought everyone liked the guy. Did he step down or was he let go?

I am not associated with the program but I am pretty sure the school decided to make a change.

I saw they were looking for a new softball coach. Any word on why the old coach stepped down? I thought everyone liked the guy. Did he step down or was he let go?

Heard the AD let him go and decided to go in a new direction, not sure why, but hard to figure given all the positives and recent success of the program.:idunno:

Heard the AD let him go and decided to go in a new direction, not sure why, but hard to figure given all the positives and recent success of the program.:idunno:

With Mel Webster at Brossart stepping down, is there any chance he is a candidate for this position? With his winning percentage I would think that NDA would jump at the chance to have him. A coach with proven results and experience would be a logical choice dont you think??

Very sad to hear and read. I thought they were headed in the right direction. New field nice group of younger players and they seemed to be working hard for him.

With Mel Webster at Brossart stepping down, is there any chance he is a candidate for this position? With his winning percentage I would think that NDA would jump at the chance to have him. A coach with proven results and experience would be a logical choice dont you think??

I would hope not for the sake of the ND program plus he is staying on as an asst coach and is still listed as the AD.

With all due respect to Mel and his success, he does not fit the NDA coaching profile. Plus, he already committed to continue in his AD position at Brossart.

Very sad to hear and read. I thought they were headed in the right direction. New field nice group of younger players and they seemed to be working hard for him.

http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20110822/SPT0302/108230334/-Peterson-still-football-limbo?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

Here is the job posting in the Noteworthy section that I saw in the paper. At the Freshman athletic orientation last night, they had the job listed as open but there were no explanations given as to why a change was being made...they did have several athletes talk about their experiences as an athlete at Notre Dame. One girl said she played softball and that they won their first District title in 11 years. KHSAA and NDA website still shows the old coach and had them at 15 wins. I know they were young and talented. I think they had a Freshman, JV and Varsity team last year. From what I have heard, this is one of those head scratchers but involved several parents. I guess it will all unfold over time. There's always Lacrosse. :confused:

http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20110822/SPT0302/108230334/-Peterson-still-football-limbo?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

Here is the job posting in the Noteworthy section that I saw in the paper. At the Freshman athletic orientation last night, they had the job listed as open but there were no explanations given as to why a change was being made...they did have several athletes talk about their experiences as an athlete at Notre Dame. One girl said she played softball and that they won their first District title in 11 years. KHSAA and NDA website still shows the old coach and had them at 15 wins. I know they were young and talented. I think they had a Freshman, JV and Varsity team last year. From what I have heard, this is one of those head scratchers but involved several parents. I guess it will all unfold over time. There's always Lacrosse. :confused:

IMO the AD doesn't owe an explanation to anyone besides the administration and the coach. My GUESS is some of it was a personality ie non-softball issue. We can't discount relationships at all levels and that may have had an impact here. The team was young but not very competitive yet. From a W-L standpoint the coach probably got out of them what one with reasonable expectations would expect so IMO it's not "on the field" where the issue is.

For the record, I have no inside connections. I do not have any discussions with any administrator from NDA so do not try to read anything into my comments.

I did not hear about him leaving ND. I know he is still coaching a travel ball team and his wife is sick. Are we sure he was asked to resign?

While I did not actually read the email he sent out my memory says his wording made it sound like it was a surprise and disappointment to him.

I did not hear about him leaving ND. I know he is still coaching a travel ball team and his wife is sick. Are we sure he was asked to resign?

His assistant coach is the summer ball coach. The AD decided to go a new direction. He did not resign because of his wife's illness as he has coached the last two seasons under those circumstances which makes this decision all the more puzzling. Simply, his contract was not removed. From what I know, he played the younger players over the upperclassmen which made many of the upperclassmen parents mad and several upperclassmen quit. The coach set standards that some of the players were not used to or could not live with and they left. And then there was an issue with club volleyball players who played for a NDA volleyball coach and missed NDA softball games and practices for club volleyball practices and tournaments. A position a head coach should never be put into but volleyball is queen at NDA - that is common knowledge. The AD is one of the former very successful volleyball coaches. That led to another set of parents being upset, complaining to the AD and so the decision to move in a different direction was made. Under these circumstances, the NDA softball program will continue to play second fiddle to other sports.