Tragedy on the Brent Spence Bridge.

mexitucky

Interesting. How do they determine something like that when something occurs on a bridge? I mean is the bridge considered in one state or the other or both?

It's quite possible the entire bridge is covered by one state. If not, there's probably a line marking where one state ends, and the other begins.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's quite possible the entire bridge is covered by one state. If not, there's probably a line marking where one state ends, and the other begins.

It used to be the entire Ohio River was considered Kentucky's. There was a lawsuit on this a number of years ago and the final ruling set the Ohio Kentucky border off of the Ohio River low water mark at some point in time in the past. That basically moved the border 20 feet or so out into the river from the current Ohio side river bank. I don't know where that lines up on the bridge. I did notice that the Cincinnati police were handling the accident scene.

That's a completely different scenario from this though. There's a car stopped in the middle of the road, on a bridge, with no where to go.

And the guy was standing on the side of the road, when the driver nailed the car he was standing next to. I'm sure someone has hit a person changing a tire before, how did that play out?

And the guy was standing on the side of the road, when the driver nailed the car he was standing next to. I'm sure someone has hit a person changing a tire before, how did that play out?

Again, we're talking about a car that was stopped basically in the middle of the road, right?

Unless the driver was doing something obviously illegal (DUI, texting, driving at a reckless speed) I don't see how they could charge him criminally. I'm not even sure how they could prove texting or talking on a phone unless they had eye witnesses. And even then I'm not sure that's enough to actually charge him with some type of manslaughter. He might be in for a civil suit though.

Again, we're talking about a car that was stopped basically in the middle of the road, right?

Unless the driver was doing something obviously illegal (DUI, texting, driving at a reckless speed) I don't see how they could charge him criminally. I'm not even sure how they could prove texting or talking on a phone unless they had eye witnesses. And even then I'm not sure that's enough to actually charge him with some type of manslaughter. He might be in for a civil suit though.

Actually, that is pretty easy to prove. They just pull phone records and can tell what activity was happening on the phone at the time of the accident and there you go.

The news report on 700 said he was pushing his car that was out of gas. I'm trying to figure out the science and physics of how he ended up in the river.

BTW the bridge was originally built to handle 80K cars per day. It now handles 160K per day.

The news report on 700 said he was pushing his car that was out of gas. I'm trying to figure out the science and physics of how he ended up in the river.

BTW the bridge was originally built to handle 80K cars per day. It now handles 160K per day.

Yet they are still a decade away from having something to replace it. Way to proactive on one of the busiest roads in NKY/Ohio.

What does that have to do with anything? The car that struck him was stalled in the middle of the road. It's not like the driver drove off the roadway and hit him.

Actually he was next to a good simaritan's car that had pulled over to try to help. They had their hazard lights on and the man was at the passenger door of the suburban thanking the person that was stopped to help when their car was struck. It's not as though they had stopped suddenly in the middle of the road. It wasn't raining this morning so it's not like the bridge should have been wet. I see no reason as to why someone shouldn't have been able to avoid hitting that chevy suburban, it's not like it's a small vehicle and hard to spot...

Interesting. How do they determine something like that when something occurs on a bridge? I mean is the bridge considered in one state or the other or both?
I'm relatively sure that the entire bridge is considered KY jurisdiction, since they own the bridge.

As for it needing replacement, wasn't it ironic that many of the visiting state legislators, recently got caught in a massive traffic jam because of the crumbling bridge? Massive chunks of the upper deck fell onto the lower deck, causing lane closures for about seven hours.

Note to General Assembly: Any questions? :ohbrother:

Both Ohio and Kentucky departments respond to calls on the bridge, but once you get to the actually frame of the bridge you are considered in KY.

The plans for replacment are not great at all. Why not shut down the bridge and divert all 71/75 traffic to 275/471, get rid of the old bridge and but the new one on the same spot.
On behalf of everyone who lives anywhere near I-471...no thanks! :lol: