NBC eliminates "Under God" from a Pledge of Allegiance clip

Does NBC's Omission of "Under God" Upset You  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Does NBC's Omission of "Under God" Upset You

• Yes
    • No
    • Sort of
    • Not Sure

What makes this inexcusable is the fact that this piece was largely produced ahead of time. Yes, there are a couple of clips from Rory that are in there...but by and large, this was something that has been in the can for awhile. Which means, there was ample time for this to be viewed, and reviewed, multiple times. I can't believe this was anything but a deliberate ommission. And I won't buy any appology that says it was a simple mistake.
I totally agree.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been a lot of activity lately further removing our country from its religious origins...no public prayers, etc. Now a network decides itself to remove the one phrase referring to God from their presentation of the Pledge of Allegiance, and it is too obvious to be an accident. People cry about advertising, violence, sex, etc. on TV influencing people negatively, why would'nt we who believe part of this country's greatness is due to the majority of its peoples' belief in a higher power and the moral compass that accompanies these beliefs, then take issue with NBC's unilateral decision to restate our country's pledge?

But we are all entitled to our opinions.

There has been a lot of activity lately further removing our country from its religious origins...no public prayers, etc. Now a network decides itself to remove the one phrase referring to God from their presentation of the Pledge of Allegiance, and it is too obvious to be an accident. People cry about advertising, violence, sex, etc. on TV influencing people negatively, why would'nt we who believe part of this country's greatness is due to the majority of its peoples' belief in a higher power and the moral compass that accompanies these beliefs, then take issue with NBC's unilateral decision to restate our country's pledge?

Maybe they wanted to return the pledge to the original form that did not include that phrase? :idunno:

The original from 1892: I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Or the one adopted in 1942: I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

:thumb:

Can we please stop with the no public prayer crap we get in everyone of these threads. As far as the pledge goes shouldn't it be a pledge for all American citizens? The phase never should have been added in the first place.

Maybe they wanted to return the pledge to the original form that did not include that phrase? :idunno:

The original from 1892: I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Or the one adopted in 1942: I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

:thumb:

I don't have time to go back and re-watch it...but for your line of thinking to be correct...is either one of those versions EXACTLY like the one they aired? If not...then it seems like they wanted to make their own version. And even if it is one of the previous versions...who, under the age of 65, would even recognize that right off the bat?

On a side note, I have seen many production pieces over the years that have not used the entire pledge. Usually it starts out with the beginning, and then as either music is brought up or voice-over material begins, the pledge sort of fades into the background...and you end up never hearing the pledge completed. But, this is the first time that I have ever heard it "edited" in the middle, so blatently.

How does the phrase "under God" enhance the Pledge? Does leaving it out change the patriotic nature? I just don't really see what the big deal is.

But, by that same token, why take it out? You are making more of a "deal" out of it, by removing it (IMO) than if you'd left it alone.