CJ story on 5 Catholics in the finals

EastSideJunkie

As a footnote to my prior post...Sending children to a Catholic or Private school in not an advantage, it is a choice. It is also a huge sacrifice to make in the interest of ones children. When our children were young we didn't know they would be college athletes. We did know they were Catholic and would attend Catholic schools.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're telling me that just because they are private and just because they do "other" things that public schools don't is why they are better? That is ludicrous. Look at records of coaches before/after going to a private school to coach and you will see the difference. The fact is that private school students are a selective group. I'm not mentioning anything about recruiting but I am saying that the kids that go there are a selective blend.

I'm sure that if the private schools were doing something special then the other coaches around the state would pick up on it but the simple fact is that there is no difference in many cases.

Somerset High School draws their students from the small city of Somerset and that's it. Kids that live in the county can't even come to Somerset. County schools have boundaries. That is where the difference lies. I don't really like to post on this forum because it is always the same thing going around and around in circles, but I just couldn't let this one go :D

You might want to back off of putting Somerset up on this morally upstanding pedastal in juxtaposition to what you think the privates are doing. The Briar Jumper history ain't exactly spotless.

No I just think that it is ridiculous of people (private supporters) to ride the man cause he made a mistake in his article of putting .01% instead of 1.45%. I mean the real % that needs to be addressed is the 41% of privates making it to the state finals. You can bash the man for making a small mistake but the fact is 5 out of 12 privates made it to the state finals this year and instead of looking at 1.45% so hard maybe we should look at the 41% a little more closely.

What was the percentage last year?

You might want to back off of putting Somerset up on this morally upstanding pedastal in juxtaposition to what you think the privates are doing. The Briar Jumper history ain't exactly spotless.

I was giving an example... You can throw in any other school with boundaries that you would like. I honestly don't know the entire history of Somerset High School and whether they have a spotless track record but I do know what their policy is about boundaries along with many, many other public schools that don't get to draw kids in from 5 or 6 counties.

I was giving an example... You can throw in any other school with boundaries that you would like. I honestly don't know the entire history of Somerset High School and whether they have a spotless track record but I do know what their policy is about boundaries along with many, many other public schools that don't get to draw kids in from 5 or 6 counties.

OK, I'm just saying the example you use doesn't lend itself to a lot of credibility, considering some of the stories I've heard about Somerset.

There is only one school in the state the draws from 5 or 6 counties and that is Lexington Catholic that is the myth some public school backers just don't get.