College Football vs College Basketball - Which title is tougher to win?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Football- only two teams (out of 120 possible) a year get a shot at the title. In basketball, 68 (out of 346) get a shot.

And in reality, with the exception of the Ivy League all conferences have a tournament to determine their bid, so virtually every team has a shot.

Only if its against a bad team. You probably only play 3-4 top teams a year, and if you lose one of those, you're not necessarily out.

True. But, it's hard to be "up" every week and the top teams often have a couple of close calls, or even a loss, against teams that we would all pencil in as a win.

I would say for the eventual champion, and related to your point, one thing that makes it easier is the BCS system. They get penciled in to the title game and only have to win that one game. They get to avoid all the other top teams.

Good point. But you could also look at it & say only 1 team out of 120 in football or 1 team out of 350 in basketball.

Your post makes no sense- of course only one team wins the title. The BCS title game has 2 competitors, so both have a shot to win. Without a playoff system, only those two teams can win a title. In the NCAA tourney, there are 68 entries and they are all competing for the NCAA Basketball title. In terms of percentages less than 2% of teams in college football get to compete for the title while over 19% get to compete for a basketball title.

I would venture a guess that the guys on here that are bigger CBB fans are saying basketball, and vise-versa. I think it's ridiculous myself, but to each his own. If I'm looking for the easier path to the title, I"ll take having to win 6 games (only 4 at the most against real top competition) vs. having to win 12 or 13 games with little to no margin for error any day of the week.

I would venture a guess that the guys on here that are bigger CBB fans are saying basketball, and vise-versa. I think it's ridiculous myself, but to each his own. If I'm looking for the easier path to the title, I"ll take having to win 6 games (only 4 at the most against real top competition) vs. having to win 12 or 13 games with little to no margin for error any day of the week.

And, as you have pointed out already Cats, you can win all of your games and still not win the title. You can win all your games and not even have a shot at the title.

LRCW, come to my Bama cave.

Both are hard thats why they are called Championships. In basketball playing on thursday/Saturdays back to back weekends thats hard, football I agree with those comments. UCONN was ninth in the BigEast this year, but got hot at the right time and deserved it.

Back when Auburn got shafted it was the Sooners against USC and USC won.

This past season Bama lost to the Gamecocks bad, but if we won out we would been back in the NC game.

Basketball.....

So much unpredictability in a single elimination format and because of which makes it very hard to win the title. For the last two years in a row a team has won the title that you could argue wasn't even one of the top five teams in the country. It's all about getting hot in March and winning those six games that matter.

Football is hard because you cannot make any mistakes, BUT, you get a week or more to prepare before every game you play. You can implement game plans, etc. and more often than not the best teams normally always win. Thats what makes the football upset so special because far fewer upsets in football than there is in basketball. Furthermore, if your one of the best teams in football your going to have a shot at playing for the title, you just have to take care of business. The SEC is the toughest conference in college football hands down, so it is very tough to come out of the SEC and make it to the title game, but as hard as that is to do over the course of the season winning a title in Mens College Basketball is just another level of toughness.

Basketball.....

So much unpredictability in a single elimination format and because of which makes it very hard to win the title. For the last two years in a row a team has won the title that you could argue wasn't even one of the top five teams in the country. It's all about getting hot in March and winning those six games that matter.

Football is hard because you cannot make any mistakes, BUT, you get a week or more to prepare before every game you play. You can implement game plans, etc. and more often than not the best teams normally always win. Thats what makes the football upset so special because far fewer upsets in football than there is in basketball. Furthermore, if your one of the best teams in football your going to have a shot at playing for the title, you just have to take care of business. The SEC is the toughest conference in college football hands down, so it is very tough to come out of the SEC and make it to the title game, but as hard as that is to do over the course of the season winning a title in Mens College Basketball is just another level of toughness.

Football is single elimination for the most part, only it is all season long and that still might not be enough. As for just take care of business, that could be said about basketball teams as well. One bad game can hurt worse in football, look at USC three years ago. They were every bit as good as Oklahoma IMO, but one loss earlier in the year killed them. A team can lose 10 times and still be NCAA champion. A team can get to the Final Four and only play one or two top 15 teams in the process. Not going to happen in football. Butler could have won by only playing one #1 seed and one #2 seed both of which were not as strong IMO as their seed would have suggested.

And the mere fact that a mid-major can win the title is evidence enough that football is much harder. JMO.