College Football vs College Basketball - Which title is tougher to win?

On another note you guys are throwing out the one loss thing like it sticks like super glue. For Boise State, TCU, etc. yeah that may be the case because their in conference schedule is garbage. Look back for the last 15-20 years and there have been a lot of teams playing in the National Championship in football that have one or two loses. Like I said in my first post, in football if your one of the best teams you are going to get your chance, you just have to take care of business. Furthermore in the NCAA tourney teams may have to play the best teams in the country to get there, take this years Kentucky run for example. Had to play Ohio State, North Carolina, and then UCONN in the Final Four. Played a pretty good West Virginia team before that. In relations to football that would be like Texas having to play Virginia Tech (WVU) Alabama (OSU) , Florida (North Carolina), and Oregon/USC (UCONN) on the way to a title run and that just does not happen. The big time football programs outside of the SEC have minimal games in a season against what you would call the other top teams in the country. To win the mens title in basketball you have to go through the best of the best to win one more often than not, in football that just isn't the case. You may have to play one or two at the most (outside of SEC).

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^

Football is single elimination for the most part, only it is all season long and that still might not be enough. As for just take care of business, that could be said about basketball teams as well. One bad game can hurt worse in football, look at USC three years ago. They were every bit as good as Oklahoma IMO, but one loss earlier in the year killed them. A team can lose 10 times and still be NCAA champion. A team can get to the Final Four and only play one or two top 15 teams in the process. Not going to happen in football. Butler could have won by only playing one #1 seed and one #2 seed both of which were not as strong IMO as their seed would have suggested.

And the mere fact that a mid-major can win the title is evidence enough that football is much harder. JMO.

12-14 games in a football season, an average of 35 in a basketball season so obviously the loses in each will differ. And as stated above even though one loss hurts your chances tremendously in football it doesn't always seal your fate, look at LSU of a few years ago (3 loss National Champion).

Also can you guys say without certainty that Auburn and Oregon wasn't the two best teams in college football last year? Alabama before that, Florida before that, those Texas and USC teams, Miami and Ohio State in the early 2000's? More often than not the best teams in college football make it to the title game, thats why I say its tougher to win a basketball title because it is a sport in which there is a high percentage of years in which the best team(s) didn't win it. At least in football if your one of the best teams then your going to have a pretty good shot of being in contention. Now I will say winning a football title becomes extremely difficult for a lower tier team or mid level team like Kentucky. It becomes almost impossible barring a miracle run. But the way sports are set up the best teams are supposed to win and in football this is most always the case, in basketball it is not. That is why I feel winning a college basketball title is much more difficult because even the best teams don't always win.

^

12-14 games in a football season, an average of 35 in a basketball season so obviously the loses in each will differ. And as stated above even though one loss hurts your chances tremendously in football it doesn't always seal your fate, look at LSU of a few years ago (3 loss National Champion).

But, the fact that a loss hurts your chances tremendously has to play a part in this. In basketball you control your own destiny, if you want in the tourney all you have to do is win your conference. Then you get the chance to win games, and as long as you win you have a shot. A team can have a historic season and not even get a chance to win it all in football. Talk about the SEC but not too long ago an undefeated SEC Auburn team was left out of the title game. And that LSU team had two losses if memory serves correctly. And I may be wrong but I think two is the most a team has ever had and won in the BCS era. Most have 1 loss tops.

So in basketball you control your own destiny, in football you need luck on your side to even get a chance. I don't see how this is even a close comparison.

Also can you guys say without certainty that Auburn and Oregon wasn't the two best teams in college football last year? Alabama before that, Florida before that, those Texas and USC teams, Miami and Ohio State in the early 2000's? More often than not the best teams in college football make it to the title game, thats why I say its tougher to win a basketball title because it is a sport in which there is a high percentage of years in which the best team(s) didn't win it. At least in football if your one of the best teams then your going to have a pretty good shot of being in contention. Now I will say winning a football title becomes extremely difficult for a lower tier team or mid level team like Kentucky. It becomes almost impossible barring a miracle run. But the way sports are set up the best teams are supposed to win and in football this is most always the case, in basketball it is not. That is why I feel winning a college basketball title is much more difficult because even the best teams don't always win.

Last year- TCU could have been the best team

2010- Eh, probably the two best

2009- I'm still not convinced that USC was no the best team that year

2008- LSU had two losses, so did everyone else. Alot of teams could have won that year with a real tourney

2007- Weren't there a bunch of 1 loss teams that year?

Other than the Auburn year though (and ever year since the BCS has recognized the strength of the SEC) no one has really had a complaint about the team winning it not being the best team in football that year. In basketball can you honestly say Duke was the best team last year or UCONN was this year?

Its all a matter of opinion anyway and I'm not saying your wrong and I'm right because clearly its just opinion. I just feel that the NCAA basketball tourney is tougher to win and I feel that way by comparing the top tier teams in each sport and the likelihood of them winning the championship.

I would venture a guess that the guys on here that are bigger CBB fans are saying basketball, and vise-versa. I think it's ridiculous myself, but to each his own. If I'm looking for the easier path to the title, I"ll take having to win 6 games (only 4 at the most against real top competition) vs. having to win 12 or 13 games with little to no margin for error any day of the week.

Nope. I am a very casual college football fan compared to my love for college basketball but football is way harder. Undefeated college football team does not equal a national champion. Undefeated basketball team equals the only undefeated champion since Indiana in 1976, correct?

Other than the Auburn year though (and ever year since the BCS has recognized the strength of the SEC) no one has really had a complaint about the team winning it not being the best team in football that year. In basketball can you honestly say Duke was the best team last year or UCONN was this year?

Its all a matter of opinion anyway and I'm not saying your wrong and I'm right because clearly its just opinion. I just feel that the NCAA basketball tourney is tougher to win and I feel that way by comparing the top tier teams in each sport and the likelihood of them winning the championship.

How hard would it be if there was a BCS in basketball and we watched Ohio State vs Kansas instead of UConn/Butler?

Granted it may have been a better game but the tourney was fun to watch this year as always.....until the final game.

How hard would it be if there was a BCS in basketball and we watched Ohio State vs Kansas instead of UConn/Butler?

Granted it may have been a better game but the tourney was fun to watch this year as always.....until the final game.

I love college b ball, I wouldn't want it changed for the world. I love the way the tourney plays out, in fact would love a playoff or a plus one game in football as well.

Nope. I am a very casual college football fan compared to my love for college basketball but football is way harder. Undefeated college football team does not equal a national champion. Undefeated basketball team equals the only undefeated champion since Indiana in 1976, correct?

I meant to say that many of the guys are going with their favorite sports. Blanket statements are always bad, my mistake PP :thumb:

And why would you want that again?

Because it would give everyone a shot, regardless. You brought up TCU in one of your post and stated they could have been argued as the best team last year, I'm of the opinion they were not on the same level as Auburn or Oregon. However, a playoff or a plus one would have gave them the opportunity to go out and settle it on the field. Without that opportunity though all one can do is speculate.

Because it would give everyone a shot, regardless. You brought up TCU in one of your post and stated they could have been argued as the best team last year, I'm of the opinion they were not on the same level as Auburn or Oregon. However, a playoff or a plus one would have gave them the opportunity to go out and settle it on the field. Without that opportunity though all one can do is speculate.

Which has been my point all along, that it is tougher to win in football. Thanks Dolamite :D.

Which has been my point all along, that it is tougher to win in football. Thanks Dolamite :D.

How does that make it tougher? I just don't understand that? Maybe if TCU got into a tougher conference or played somebody in the out of conference they could earn a trip to play for the title. But then again if they played in a real conference they probably wouldn't have went undefeated.

I will say this, it may be tougher to get a shot at the championship in football but it is way tougher to win a championship in basketball.

As goofy as the BCS is, it seems like the "best team" wins more often in football than in basketball.

That is the thing how do you know for sure that is the "best team". In college football its just people's opinions on who they THINK is the two best teams, yet there is no way to know for sure. There probably plenty of years where the team that really was the best never even got the chance. College basketball is probably harder to win, however its basically a guarntee that the "best team" will at least get a chance to win it. In football its all opinions.