Who's coming back for UK next year?

jbwill2

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If UK doesn't get a true 4 then my guess is Gilchrist will step into the lineup. If they do get a 4 who can play right away then I'd see Gilchrist coming off of the bench behind Miller.

Not really sure I understand this one at all? Don't know what you would call Davis and Wiltjer? To me they are as four as it gets at the college level and in Calipari's system.

Not really sure I understand this one at all? Don't know what you would call Davis and Wiltjer? To me they are as four as it gets at the college level and in Calipari's system.

I pictured Davis as more of a 5. No? So you picture him at the 4 and Eloy at the 5?

If you are correct then I still say Gilchrist comes off the bench in year 1.

I pictured Davis as more of a 5. No? So you picture him at the 4 and Eloy at the 5?

No chance. Gilchrist is going to be the best player on the team.

Davis is a 4. He was 6' 1" I believe, then shot up something like 8 inches in a year or so, so he has a pretty darn good outside game/handle.

Davis & Wiltjer are 4's. Gilly is a 3, Teague a 1-2.

Davis is naturally a four, will he get minutes at the five more than likely but to say the team needs a true four is way off when you actually have two very good ones.

Davis may have to play the 5, but I don't think that's his real position. I gues UK could go small with him and Gilchrist at the 4 & 5 though. If Knight & Lamb are back (I think Jones is as good as gone) I'd say

Knight & Teague at the 1 &2, with Lamb & Liggins off the bench. Gilchrist at the 3 with Miller off the bench, sounds crappy but it is what it is. Davis at the 4 with Wiltjer playing the 5 even though he doesn't seem like a 5 at all. If they could just get one big (5 man) that could play some minutes (like 15) they'd be all set IMO.

Davis may have to play the 5, but I don't think that's his real position. I gues UK could go small with him and Gilchrist at the 4 & 5 though. If Knight & Lamb are back (I think Jones is as good as gone) I'd say

Knight & Teague at the 1 &2, with Lamb & Liggins off the bench. Gilchrist at the 3 with Miller off the bench, sounds crappy but it is what it is. Davis at the 4 with Wiltjer playing the 5 even though he doesn't seem like a 5 at all. If they could just get one big (5 man) that could play some minutes (like 15) they'd be all set IMO.

I agree with this assessment but about the only thing I would change is I could see a scenario in which Wiltjer is at the 4 and Davis at the 5 when they are both in the game together. I realize that Davis has a lot of skill on the perimeter because of his passing ability and handle, but his ability to block shots and pull boards makes him a more viable inside option that Wiltjer who can be lethal from the perimeter with his jumper. Wiltjer has good inside game as well, but as good as Davis is out in the open court and on the perimeter he has also grown to be a very good inside player, his length, quickness and skill is going to give a lot of people fits.

In reality though, I can see this team with no real "5" man basically playing two fours instead of a five and a four. I would almost guarantee that both Davis and Wiltjer will see adequate time on the perimeter in various situations.

Davis is naturally a four, will he get minutes at the five more than likely but to say the team needs a true four is way off when you actually have two very good ones.

Good to hear.

Are we in agreement that Gilchrist comes off the bench?

Good to hear.

Are we in agreement that Gilchrist comes off the bench?

As long as Darius and Liggins are healthy, I say absolutely. I can't see any situation he'd start unless for some reason him or Darius would snag a spot at the 4. But that'd be a long lineup in the back court and a smaller front court. I just can't really see him starting at all, though with Davis and Wiltjer.

We are obviously just spitting here but I think you'll see Lamb and Miller in the lineup with Gilchrist and Teague coming off the bench (assuming BK is back).

As long as Darius and Liggins are healthy, I say absolutely. I can't see any situation he'd start unless for some reason him or Darius would snag a spot at the 4. But that'd be a long lineup in the back court and a smaller front court. I just can't really see him starting at all, though.

No chance. Gilchrist is better right now then either of those guys.