US Begins Strikes in Libya

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully the no-fly zone is enough to break Qaddafi. I'm glad that the military action is sanctioned by the UN and Britain and France are carrying their share. This is the best option for intervention. The real question is what happens next? If civil war continues despite the no-fly zone, will the US be escalating its intervention? How much of a role will the US play in state-building if Qaddafi is deposed?

Good that the UN FINALLY got involved and that Arabs nations are backing it as well, although I think the UN is a couple weeks late. I think we will just stick to taking out anything that will help enforce the No-Fly Zone and that is it, the only thing on the ground would be UN Peacekeepers.

Are we done with the last 2 wars(Irag, Afganhastan)? I think we should finish one before we start with another war. If we take over let's make a deal with the Libyans on their oil, I understand it's 15 cents a gallon over there, I say we buy the oil at a price we can stand over here. $3.59 per gallon is just to much.

Are we done with the last 2 wars(Irag, Afganhastan)? I think we should finish one before we start with another war. If we take over let's make a deal with the Libyans on their oil, I understand it's 15 cents a gallon over there, I say we buy the oil at a price we can stand over here. $3.59 per gallon is just to much.

The price of oil is the price of oil, whether it's here or there. The price of gas being cheaper in another country has nothing to do with how much oil is.

"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." - Senator Obama

Someone on Facebook posted that just thought it was kind of funny.

The price of oil is the price of oil, whether it's here or there. The price of gas being cheaper in another country has nothing to do with how much oil is.

I think what he means is we would help overthrow Qadafi with the deal being we get cheap oil. But there are other nations involved so we wouldn't just get that deal IF it could ever get done.

But, the war in Iraqi was supposed to be paid for by their sale of oil, just enough to "cover our cost", That went out the window. I would like to see a deal like that and it sticks, at least cover our cost.

I think the UN (US) is stupid for attacking. why not atack Bahrain also, just because they are a democracy adn pro-US. Why do we not let Saudi Arabia, Egypt, etc do the airstrikes. They are part of the UN. No wonder so many hate the US, we are in a country we shouldnt be in. even if I dont like Libian leader, he still has the right to defend his country from rebel attacks. Just like Bahrain. Welcome the 4.00 a gallon oil price.

I think what he means is we would help overthrow Qadafi with the deal being we get cheap oil. But there are other nations involved so we wouldn't just get that deal IF it could ever get done.

But, the war in Iraqi was supposed to be paid for by their sale of oil, just enough to "cover our cost", That went out the window. I would like to see a deal like that and it sticks, at least cover our cost.

Exactly what I was getting at.

I think the UN (US) is stupid for attacking. why not atack Bahrain also, just because they are a democracy adn pro-US. Why do we not let Saudi Arabia, Egypt, etc do the airstrikes. They are part of the UN. No wonder so many hate the US, we are in a country we shouldnt be in. even if I dont like Libian leader, he still has the right to defend his country from rebel attacks. Just like Bahrain. Welcome the 4.00 a gallon oil price.

Good post. Unfortunately, the Arabs do not have good supply of Tomahawks and Wild Weasels with radar homing anti-anti-aircraft missiles, so the big 3 (US, Britain and France) had to step in to enforce the no fly zone.

But what is the end game? They seem to want Qaddafi to 'step down'. And do what? Or go where? Strong men brutal dictators do not just 'step down'. Without safe passage to a country willing to host Qaddafi and his family what choice do they have. If they just 'step down' they will be executed in show trials at best. That is the way dictators, especially ones that have committed war crimes on their own people end up if they stay in the country. Look at the fate of Mr. Hussein. Ms. Clinton indicated it was 'time for Qaddafi to go a few weeks ago. We (the US) clearly signaled regime change was the end game and emboldened the rebels. Now it is a proverbial quagmire with not apparent easy resolution. Hopefully Ms. Clinton is working behind the scenes to get some country to take in Qaddafi. But who would take him? And if he is still alive will his followers still fight since their fate will not be a good one under the new leaders? It looks like the only end game here is with Qaddafi and most of his family and close circle dead. Given the lack of history of self-governance it hard to believe that left on its own Libya it will be a US-style democracy. This probably ends up being a swap of one dictator for another with the NATO nations being the enablers. What a mess this is now.