Hit and Run Question

BleedBlue12

OK, so I'm a little heated this morning. While dropping my girlfriend off for class on my way to work, a gold minivan clipped my door and took off. I'll try and lay out the full scenario with a rough diagram, and hopefully you all can tell me whether or not this was my fault. It may very well have been, I'm just not sure.

10d6pow.jpg

Basically, I pulled up to a stoplight and since the light was red my girlfriend said to go ahead and let her out. I was stopped in the right lane next to a bus stop. As my girlfriend opens the door, a gold minivan going approximately 30 mph down the bus stop pull-in clips the edge of the door. It continues through the red light and the parking spaces before cutting over to the actual lane. Then, it's off in the distance before my light even turns green.

That's what happened and fortunately the only damage is some chipped paint on the corner of my door. I feared the worst because it actually made a really loud noise when the contact occurred. I never got a chance to get a license plate number, and since the damage was minimal I figured it useless to call the police. Especially because I was already running late for work.

So here's the question: Was it my fault for letting my girlfriend exit the car at a red light, or is the driver of the minivan at fault for flying down what can't even be considered a lane? If it's my fault don't be afraid to say so either, I'm just curious at this point.

I think you were wrong in letting our girlfriend out there but since it was a red light and there shouldn't have been traffic in that lane then it goes back on the van. Not to mention they didn't stop and ran a light.

The only reason I let her out was because we were stopped and I knew we would be for a little bit. I looked and saw that there weren't any buses coming, so I just assumed it would be safe. People get out at red lights all the time around UK.

I guess something else I should mention is the cross walk at the stoplight that is usually full of students going to class... Luckily no one was crossing when the maniac flew through the light. I got the feeling he was already running from something because regardless of him hitting my car, there was no chance of him stopping at that light.

I think you were wrong in letting our girlfriend out there but since it was a red light and there shouldn't have been traffic in that lane then it goes back on the van. Not to mention they didn't stop and ran a light.

:thumb:

BTW... Is there something I should know?

Were you near anyplace that might have had video surviallance of the intersection? If so, you could get a copy and show to police, insurance, and even possible get the tag number of the vehicle.

It wasn't even an intersection. Just a one way street with a stoplight for students to cross to class. I'm not really worried about it. A little paint got chipped on the corner of the door, and it's not even noticeable with the door closed. It just really ticked me off this morning that the driver took off like that. I agree with Larry, karma will get him eventually.