Hit and Run Question

BleedBlue12

You show that there is metered parking. Is this parking restricted during certain hours? Is the bus stop a busses only stop? Plenty of bus stops are still part of an open lane of traffic .

This was 100% not an open lane of traffic. As far as the parking goes, yes it is only monitored during certain hours. However, it not being monitored doesn't make it an open lane of traffic either.

This was 100% not an open lane of traffic. As far as the parking goes, yes it is only monitored during certain hours. However, it not being monitored doesn't make it an open lane of traffic either.

What I mean by restrictions is, is it no parking during morning or afternoon rush hour times? If it is restricted during certain times, then the hours it is restricted it is an own lane for traffic.

What I mean by restrictions is, is it no parking during morning or afternoon rush hour times? If it is restricted during certain times, then the hours it is restricted it is an own lane for traffic.

Ohhhhh... Gotcha. No it's not restricted. You can park there anytime of day or night.

Shouldn't matter. They drove away. Just tell the police slash insurence that it was all them. That's what I would do anyway.

Is there a difference between who's to "blame", and who's at "fault"? Honestly, I'd say both of you are somewhat to blame for it occuring. If you're pulled over at the curb or in a parking spot, he can't hit you where he did. On the other hand, if he stays in the normal driving lane, he doesn't hit you either. Now, as to "fault"...I believe Kentucky is considered a no-fault state. Filing a claim on your insurance would only result in you having to pick up the deductible (and possibly face higher rates in the future?)

Well, even though you were not on the curb, the mini van did not stop, therefor the responsibility lies on them! If they clipped your door why didn't they stop? Usually it's no license, No insurance or they have warrents out on them, and he ran a red light too after it? I am sure at least on of those three is a reason he didn't stop after hitting you and ran the red light. But, it was a hit and run, if they stopped things may be different on whos fault it was.

I would have to see the intersection and site of the collision to give you a definite opinion but... Kentucky is a no-fault state but that only applies to injury. For damage to the vehicles KY is a comparative negligent state. In other words, each party can be assessed an amount of negligence in a collision. However, from what you describe the "run vehicle" was improperly passing you at the time of the collision so the run vehicle would be Unit 1 (generally considered the more at fault vehicle) and you would be Unit 2. Additionally, you would have some negligence for opening your door into the "bus lane." It could have been another bus in that lane approaching you. Furthermore, the fact that the run vehicle ran the red light after the fact has nothing to do with fault in the collision but it would be supporting evidence of the intent to leave the scene of the accident (collision - KY calls them collisions now). And you absolutely should NOT call your insurance company and/or should not make a report. All that would do is count against your own driving record in the long run. As someone said above, chalk this one up to experience. I hope all of this helped.

I would have to see the intersection and site of the collision to give you a definite opinion but... Kentucky is a no-fault state but that only applies to injury. For damage to the vehicles KY is a comparative negligent state.

Kentucky is a "no fault" state, but it is frequently misunderstood. It does not have anything to do with who was at fault in causing the collision. "No fault" refers to Personal Injury Protection (PIP), which is included in every automobile insurance policy (except motorcycles). A standard automobile insurance policy includes $10,000 worth of PIP benefits, which will cover medical expenses or lost wages following an automobile accident.

Thanks for the additional CC. I didn't want to get into a long discussion of "no fault" other than to make sure everyone knows it has nothing to do with fault in a collision. :-)

:thumb: It's amazing how often people think it means nobody is responsible (or "at fault") for the accident.