How many teams have won a state title running the Wing T?

Has Russell ever not run the Wing-T?

And is the Wing-T the same offense as the Flex-bone on EA NCAA Football games?

It's the most similar, but there's nothing in the game REALLY like the Wing-T. In fact, I don't think you could run it on that engine. I've tried recreating it in the Madden game, but it doesn't translate there, either.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the most similar, but there's nothing in the game REALLY like the Wing-T. In fact, I don't think you could run it on that engine. I've tried recreating it in the Madden game, but it doesn't translate there, either.

That's kinda what I thought. I thought it was similar, but I figured there was some stuff unique to the wing-T. I'm not real familiar with the Wing-T, other than I know it when I see it. What can you tell me about it?

That's kinda what I thought. I thought it was similar, but I figured there was some stuff unique to the wing-T. I'm not real familiar with the Wing-T, other than I know it when I see it. What can you tell me about it?

http://www.fbforyouth.com/wing-t.htm

http://www.sportscombine.com/thezone/Offense/Wing-T%20Buck%20Sweep%20Series/off-wingt%20plays.htm

These are great places to start.

Anyone still run it in KY?

I heard Todd County ran it some this year early in the season and I know that Pikeville ran it some this year against Somerset late in the game in the playoffs. The kids were very confused all saying what kind of offense is that? We told them it was the "single wing" (1940's Knute Rockne offense) and they just laughed. I thought football had come a long way since the 1940's but I guess some still use it. It is a very strange offense to look at and it limits you quite a bit in what you can do.

As far as the wing T there are many teams in KY that use that offense. I also know a coach down in Georgia that won a state championship a few years ago running the wing T. It can be a good offense but if the defense is very disciplined in their keys it will be shut down quickly.

GusMcRae, I assume your talking about this year, and if my memory serves me correctly they didn't run a base "wing-t"... while it was a while ago, I remember them running a mixture of formations because I was impressed by their offensive play calling... and i played defensive end THIS year. That game our linebackers and lineman got eaten alive by quick strong good offensive lineman blockers, add a VERY talented running back and 2 dependable recievers and a smart atheletic qb, and theres your reason why we had trouble stopping LCA. We were still working the kinks out of the linebacker possition, a new coaching staff mixed things up a bit at the time, for example, I had started linebacker since soph yr, and this year I was moved to defensive end, new players at new possitions... the tough week before, vs. Holy Cross hurt us with injuries, especially our stud tight end/defensive tackle, but I'm not trying to make excuses, LCA was VERY good this year, but they definately don't just run a wing-t like bardstown bethlehem.

Ok, well I still believe it CAN be stopped, if the offense is filled with a great blocking offensive line, not many defenses can stop that... all I'm saying is that to stop the Wing-T each defensive player must play their possition, linebackers really just have to focus on reading their guards and meeting the ball at the line of scrimmage, lineman have to fight the pressure and hold their ground, while ends can't get sucked inside/stay at home/contain... the wing-t is pretty simple, the defense knows that the next offensive play will be 1 of 5 plays. I simply prefer to see other offenses, I agree that it can be very successful, but only if there is superior blocking in the trenches, a running back only has to break 1 tackle to get a huge gain.

You can do ALL of that and get scorched by the waggle pass. :flame:

Wheel and Deal....

OMG....I forgot...But Ashland ran a modern form of the wing-t as their base offense from 1999-2002 :jump:

When Ashland wanted to include the "wing" into the offense they would motion the flanker in...SAY IT AIN'T SO ;)

We never pulled both guards except on toss and basically lined up in a Pro or Slot set with a full back and half back.....

I still don't understand why Russell doesn't run the counter trey as much as the pull???

GusMcRae, I assume your talking about this year, and if my memory serves me correctly they didn't run a base "wing-t"... while it was a while ago, I remember them running a mixture of formations because I was impressed by their offensive play calling... and i played defensive end THIS year. That game our linebackers and lineman got eaten alive by quick strong good offensive lineman blockers, add a VERY talented running back and 2 dependable recievers and a smart atheletic qb, and theres your reason why we had trouble stopping LCA. We were still working the kinks out of the linebacker possition, a new coaching staff mixed things up a bit at the time, for example, I had started linebacker since soph yr, and this year I was moved to defensive end, new players at new possitions... the tough week before, vs. Holy Cross hurt us with injuries, especially our stud tight end/defensive tackle, but I'm not trying to make excuses, LCA was VERY good this year, but they definately don't just run a wing-t like bardstown bethlehem.

Actually, LCA is very much wing-T. They run a variety of formations but their play calling is all base wing-t..trap, belly, down, down-option, buck, kick, waggle, etc. Wing t is not just formations but schemes as well...

Actually, LCA is very much wing-T. They run a variety of formations but their play calling is all base wing-t..trap, belly, down, down-option, buck, kick, waggle, etc. Wing t is not just formations but schemes as well...

:thumb:

Like Manaual's Wing-T, the first step is mastering the SYSTEM, and then you build in new formations.

Also Centurion, no disrespect, but Btown Beth in NOT a base Wing-T team. They do sprinkle in a few wing t plays and formations here and there...but they are def not a wing t based offense.

:thumb:

Like Manaual's Wing-T, the first step is mastering the SYSTEM, and then you build in new formations.

Agreed...Manual, PRP, and LCA all run the wing T about as well as anyone I've watched. They all vary their formations but still stick with the system.

Last year, Highlands won the 3A title predominantly using the jet sweep on offense, which is a wing-T formation. Although, Highlands' offense was hardly the reason they came away with the state title last year, IMO!

Double wing formations are also part of the wing t family.

It is run in some form by almost every team you watch on Saturdays and Sundays.Even the West Coast Offense's is based in wing t formations and

principles just use different terminology.And yes Highlands won the title

last year running the wing t.