How many teams have won a state title running the Wing T?

The key is how many of these teams run strictly wing-t and how many dabble in it. When a team is committed to the wing-t they run a lot of the series that GusMcRae listed and then some. Tubby Raymond at Delaware is the wing-t guru so to speak and Carnegie-Melon has a wing-t camp that coaches and teams can attend. In my experience playing against a very well honed wing-t machine it is very hard to defend. How many teams can offer two really good wing backs, add a FB that can run trap and down, and a QB that carries out all the fakes all the time and is a true threat to score. That is 4 backs in the backfield all carrying out fakes AND blocking down effectively on buck series or blocking the backer inside on Iso. Add to the mix a QB that can pass effectively to a TE that is vital in wing-t (some say the key). Waggle with all the pass run option. My personal dislike for the wing-t aside (tough in short yardage situations) it is effective and takes a tremendous amount of time and discipline to run as well as to stop. As doubledeuce posted, forms and plays in wing-t philosophy ARE seen on saturdays in major college football and on sundays during NFL games. I believe most any team has a form of the waggle in their playbook.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may not realize the team (Bellevue, WA) that ended De La Salle's national record winning streak (somewhere over 100 consecutive wins) ran the wing-t. I'd say it must not be too easy to defend because De La Salle is very well coached and highly disciplined.

Clark beat us running it. When they were on offense, I never knew what player had the ball. ( neither did the Trinity defense) That was the only time I have seen it and hopefully it was the last. We were totally unprepared. No disrespect to the Rocks, it is not something you can mimic in practice.

Agreed...Manual, PRP, and LCA all run the wing T about as well as anyone I've watched. They all vary their formations but still stick with the system.

You haven't seen Russell then. Big Ive has run it for about 30 years now it seems like. The same few plays over and over but they are one of the most consistant programs in the state!