The Two Platoon System

The altimate goal of any high school football team is to win a state title. Very few teams have the athletes or numbers to use the two platoon system . For the ones that can , is it fair to the "studs " to "showcase " there talents , only on one side of the ball ?

What if the coach has his "stud " playing in the wrong position , and doesn't get the opportunity to showcase his talents to the full extent ?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The altimate goal of any high school football team is to win a state title. Very few teams have the athletes or numbers to use the two platoon system . For the ones that can , is it fair to the "studs " to "showcase " there talents , only on one side of the ball ?

What if the coach has his "stud " playing in the wrong position , and doesn't get the opportunity to showcase his talents to the full extent ?

The "coach" is the professional and makes those decisions as opposed to parents and fans in the stands. The coach , who see's the players workout and practice on a daily basis, probably doesn't have the same view of "stud" that those parents/fans do.

Details?

I guess it would be easier to describe in regards to basketball. If a team had a "big man" say 6-5, who for the teams sake would be best served by playing in the post with their back to the basket, but it was clear the player woulld be a 2 or 3 (or maybe even a 1) at the next level, you would hope that the coach would want to give that kid a chance to display their backcourt skills. I realize that with AAU evaluation this point is a moot and I am talking out of both sides of my mouth a bit. I would just hope that "winning" isn't the sole motivation and "big picture" and "longer term objectives", even if it is for a single player, would also come into play.

I guess it would be easier to describe in regards to basketball. If a team had a "big man" say 6-5, who for the teams sake would be best served by playing in the post with their back to the basket, but it was clear the player woulld be a 2 or 3 (or maybe even a 1) at the next level, you would hope that the coach would want to give that kid a chance to display their backcourt skills. I realize that with AAU evaluation this point is a moot and I am talking out of both sides of my mouth a bit. I would just hope that "winning" isn't the sole motivation and "big picture" and "longer term objectives", even if it is for a single player, would also come into play.

Couldn't disagree more. If a team gives up wins in order for a coach to develop the one player to play at the next level, he should be fired.

The position a player plays in high school has minimal impact on what he will play in college and whether he gets a scholarship. College coaches look at size, speed, strength, agility and pure athletic ability and then put the player where he thinks he fits. Here are two recent examples. Miles Simpson is now going to play safety despite all the "showcasing" and highlight reel footage of him at RB. Trevon Brown is being targeted as a center. Has he ever played center in football? These D1 coaches size their players up and play them where they think they fit. IMO two platoon football has zero impact on recruiting at the next level.