Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Two Platoon System

Featured Replies

The altimate goal of any high school football team is to win a state title. Very few teams have the athletes or numbers to use the two platoon system . For the ones that can , is it fair to the "studs " to "showcase " there talents , only on one side of the ball ?

 

What if the coach has his "stud " playing in the wrong position , and doesn't get the opportunity to showcase his talents to the full extent ?

  • Replies 45
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the coach's job to do his best to win or is it his job to showcase individuals?

Is the coach's job to do his best to win or is it his job to showcase individuals?

 

I will guess that I will be in the minority and say that I don't think that is a no-brainer question, although I don't know if I would use the words "showcase individuals".

I will guess that I will be in the minority and say that I don't think that is a no-brainer question, although I don't know if I would use the words "showcase individuals".

 

Details?

The altimate goal of any high school football team is to win a state title. Very few teams have the athletes or numbers to use the two platoon system . For the ones that can , is it fair to the "studs " to "showcase " there talents , only on one side of the ball ?

 

What if the coach has his "stud " playing in the wrong position , and doesn't get the opportunity to showcase his talents to the full extent ?

The "coach" is the professional and makes those decisions as opposed to parents and fans in the stands. The coach , who see's the players workout and practice on a daily basis, probably doesn't have the same view of "stud" that those parents/fans do.

The coach's job is to do what's best for the team and to put the players in the position that gives the team the best chance to win.

How many "studs" play both ways at the next level? A team full of specialized players should have an advantage. They get twice the practice time to get better at one thing vs the player that has half the practice time to get good at two things.

  • Author
Is the coach's job to do his best to win or is it his job to showcase individuals?

 

Seems to me like both can be accomplished at the same time .

Details?

 

I guess it would be easier to describe in regards to basketball. If a team had a "big man" say 6-5, who for the teams sake would be best served by playing in the post with their back to the basket, but it was clear the player woulld be a 2 or 3 (or maybe even a 1) at the next level, you would hope that the coach would want to give that kid a chance to display their backcourt skills. I realize that with AAU evaluation this point is a moot and I am talking out of both sides of my mouth a bit. I would just hope that "winning" isn't the sole motivation and "big picture" and "longer term objectives", even if it is for a single player, would also come into play.

I guess it would be easier to describe in regards to basketball. If a team had a "big man" say 6-5, who for the teams sake would be best served by playing in the post with their back to the basket, but it was clear the player woulld be a 2 or 3 (or maybe even a 1) at the next level, you would hope that the coach would want to give that kid a chance to display their backcourt skills. I realize that with AAU evaluation this point is a moot and I am talking out of both sides of my mouth a bit. I would just hope that "winning" isn't the sole motivation and "big picture" and "longer term objectives", even if it is for a single player, would also come into play.

 

Couldn't disagree more. If a team gives up wins in order for a coach to develop the one player to play at the next level, he should be fired.

Couldn't disagree more. If a team gives up wins in order for a coach to develop the one player to play at the next level, he should be fired.

 

Totally agree..

Is the coach's job to do his best to win or is it his job to showcase individuals?

 

To do his best to win.

The position a player plays in high school has minimal impact on what he will play in college and whether he gets a scholarship. College coaches look at size, speed, strength, agility and pure athletic ability and then put the player where he thinks he fits. Here are two recent examples. Miles Simpson is now going to play safety despite all the "showcasing" and highlight reel footage of him at RB. Trevon Brown is being targeted as a center. Has he ever played center in football? These D1 coaches size their players up and play them where they think they fit. IMO two platoon football has zero impact on recruiting at the next level.

Couldn't disagree more. If a team gives up wins in order for a coach to develop the one player to play at the next level, he should be fired.

 

 

At what level should coaches stop worrying about preparing players for the next level?

At what level should coaches stop worrying about preparing players for the next level?

 

Since most high school varsity players will not be going to the next level, I would say high school varsity. At this level development would be geared more for success on Friday nights.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.