Whats wrong with Highlands basketball

imsays

Wow!!!!!!The twist and turns that this thread has taken are rather remarkable. Highlands Basketball is by no means dying or dead. It definitely is a different time in 2010 than it was back in the late 70's and 80's as referred to by Stump. The current situation is not really the fault of Willie Schlarman, Mike Flynn, John Messmer or any other present or past coach. The simple fact is that kids are not devoting as much time to the game of basketball as perhaps they used to. Ken Shields established contact with kids by refereeing games in Covington on Saturday mornings which is where he had contact with Terry, Lankheit, Blasingame and Draud to name a few. I believe that he went to school with Dick Maile at CovCath. I know that these guys have kids, but the only one that attended HHS was Terry. How would Highlands have been over the last few years with Luke Maile in the lineup both on the basketball court and baseball diamond. Danny Sullivan's boys have been factors at Walton Verona for the last few years. They too would be factors at Highlands. What I am trying to say here is that in years past the basketball team benefitted greatly from kids coming in from out of district and now that is not the case.

There was also an element in place at the time that is no longer around and that was Junior Pro Basketball. Held on Saturdays and/or Sundays down in Newport, this league turned out some of the best talent to ever play the high school game in Northern Kentucky during the 50's through the early 90's. The local coaches at Newport, Holmes and Highlands knew what was coming to their respective schools before the kids got there and that they had received some of the best coaching that a youth could get. Those kids knew how to dribble with both hands, shoot with both hands and pass the ball to the open man. There was no feeling that I need to get mine and there were not parents sitting in the stands complaining that their boy was not getting equal playing time or sitting there with a scorebook so that they could tell little Johnny how many points he had after the game.

I played in this league from the time that I was 6 until I entered high school and have been involved with various leagues as a youth coach and I can honestly say that there was no better league back then and there is no better league today. I never knew how many points I scored in a game nor did anyone on the teams that I played on. We got more enjoyment out of making a great pass or a steal and pass to an open man for a basket. I do the same thing with my teams that I coach today. I like Willie, expect my kids to play hard at both ends of the floor and what happens at the end of the day happens. This team is now enjoying some success at the middle school level and I am hoping that as they get older these experiences will keep them playing basketball as well as football, baseball and/or soccer.

Right now, the Birds are suffering a little from inexperience and injury, each of which can be cured with time. I would just like to see more get behind the program like they do with football. I know that there are a lot of games, but the only games that have decent crowds are those against CovCath. Heck I have been to games the last few years where you could hear a pin drop because there were so few fans in the stands. I would ask those with younger kids that are showing an interest in the game of basketball to attend more games and if involved coaching a team to get in contact with Coach Flynn and ask about getting them the opportunity to play a short game at halftime. The kids love it, the parents love it and the student body really gets behind watching these kids perform. That is what the game of basketball is all about for the younger ages.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where's the fiction? Bill Petty was the head coach before John Messmer? You may need to check in with Hambone on that one. I was pretty sure you would disagree. Not quite sure what your smoking as I had 80 Fischer, just a different format than what your looking for I guess.

I think we do get a lot of out of district kids. Not sure they play basketball. I would say Shield's had relationships with Fred's Dad, Maile's Dad and Scott Draud's Dad long before those guys ever came to HHS. Add Bill Blasingame, he loved Kenney.

So I got Sully wrong? I thought he lived somewhere else.

Next time can I send it to you to proof? You seem to have plenty of time to post things on here. Why don't you volunteer some to the program if you think it needs help, I'm sure Coach would welcome your help.

Your post predicated that you where going to give us that don't know or don't remember some enlightening truth on the situation. Only pointing out the errors in your post. As far as time, I'm guessing you have no idea how much time and effort I have spent, at Johnson, HMS, and HHS in the past 10 years. I will not go on with you. I will say, I truly believe the difference between now and the glory years of HHS basketball is Ken Shields. JMHO

All this hand ringing and finger pointing is analogous to Warren Buffett and Bill Gates complaining about gas prices: you guys have a huge school with loads of athletic talent so figuring out what to do should be simple. I'm sorry but I have more sympathy for the schools who don't have either; talent or numbers. THEY have a real problem.

Good stuff and hopefully the coach can turn the program back into a program that BB players want to come to and excel. I believe the elementary school programs as well as improving the middle school program is the way to go. I get the era of the three sport star is over but 2 sports players should still be possible. It seems to me that most of the multi sport players seem to end up at NCC, maybe because it is easier for them to play the multiple sports there than at HHS.

Why would it be easier to play multiple sports at NCC than Highlands?

Quite honestly over the past 10 years the only school that has been consistenly a state champion contender in Football and a real threat to win the Region in Basketball and Baseball is NewCath. They seem to somehow keep those players playing multiple sports.

In the past ten years, Beechwood has multiple state championships in football, has won baseball regionals and played in the state championship game and has played in the regionals in basketball.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Highlands basketball. How many times in the past ten years have they played in the regional? Highlands is always competitive and a threat to beat virtually anyone on any night. The only way someone should think there is something wrong is if they think Highlands should be regional champ every year.

Why would it be easier to play multiple sports at NCC than Highlands?

Simple, because most of the better athletes play multiple sports at a smaller school so you are not competing for time against others who are "specializing" in a sport which occurs more at larger schools.........oh, and there are less athletes to compete against.

In the past ten years, Beechwood has multiple state championships in football, has won baseball regionals and played in the state championship game and has played in the regionals in basketball.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Highlands basketball. How many times in the past ten years have they played in the regional? Highlands is always competitive and a threat to beat virtually anyone on any night. The only way someone should think there is something wrong is if they think Highlands should be regional champ every year.

I agree, nothing wrong except somewhat of a dry spell for Regional Championship. We all would love to see one but to expect them each year at a football dominated school you are asking a little too much.

No not every year. However this is a prolonged drought for the Birds. Anyone know the last time the Birds went 10 years or longer without a regional championship?

One thing I would like to see is the installation of new backboards to replace the 1950 wooden jobbers they have on the sides but they first must upgrade the Electricity in that old gym. I know the money has been approved by the Boosters but there is an issue with the Electric.