Whats wrong with Highlands basketball

imsays

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, someone asked me why i resurrected this thread and then suggested it be closed.

My response was " Because I am just done"

I have put in 9 yrs of coaching kids in the Ft Thomas system , trying to make the program better. First with my oldest son WHO now has 15 or so games left in his career. Then my stepson WHO is a 6th grader in the program.

I have done as much as I possibly can while still raising two daughters. I can only hope for a respectable finish for my Sr son. I have no clue what the future holds for my stepson. He May not even attend HHS as his father has other plana but I will always be pulling for the Birds to regain that respectability in 9th Region hoops.

I will no longer participate in this thread, it is futile.

You know, someone asked me why i resurrected this thread and then suggested it be closed.

I have put in 9 yrs of coaching kids in the Ft Thomas system , trying to make the program better. First with my oldest son WHO now has 15 or so games left in his career. Then my stepson WHO is a 6th grader in the program.

I have done as much as I possibly can while still raising two daughters. I can only hope for a respectable finish for my Sr son. I have no clue what the future holds for my stepson. He May not even attend HHS as his father has other plana but I will always be pulling for the Birds to regain that respectability in 9th Region hoops.

Q, I remember our first meeting at the Freshmen Regional Tourney at CovCath while you were keeping score and I have been reading your post ever since. Honestly your effort, the time and sweat you have given NKy basketball is appreciated by many of us not only on BGP's but at the games we watch, as your insight, love of the game and it's understanding is appreciated by all of us non HHS fans!

Good luck my friend and see you soon!

As an outsider looking in, this has been an interesting thread to follow. I will offer my uninformed opinion.

Basketball at HHS isn't as valued as football. Plain and simple. When the Birds beat Bracken County 57-53 a few weeks back it was called a good win. No disrespect to my friends to the immediate west (and I actually do have several), but can you imagine the fallout if that had been a football score?

That situation is reversed at many schools, at the high school and the college level. When's the last time you heard the term "Knott County or Gonzaga football powerhouse"?

Don't ever give up on your school. When people quit trying to make changes or help others it makes your work seem less meaningful. You have worked hard to help HHS, keep doing so and if you are not happy voice your concern the right way. Be respectful, but never stop voicing your opinion.

When you look at the kids currently playing on the jv and varsity, how many of them have bball as their first sport? Of the seniors, 2 maybe, Witte and Hinkle. Of those 2, do either of them currently play AAU ball in the spring and summer? Of the juniors no one has bball as their first sport and Nick True chose to go to a football camp in the middle of basketball season. Of the sophomores, Todd Ramey and Jackson Hall only play basketball. For every other player, basketball is not their first sport. Kids want to win state championships, and at HHS they should be doing that every year. The problem is there are not many great athletes at HHS. Not even many kids from the football program go on the play college football. Guys like Brandon Roller, who was a very good high school football player, says he is done after high school. As long as football is this successful, the other sports will suffer. There are not enough good athletes to go around.

When you look at the kids currently playing on the jv and varsity, how many of them have bball as their first sport? Of the seniors, 2 maybe, Witte and Hinkle. Of those 2, do either of them currently play AAU ball in the spring and summer? Of the juniors no one has bball as their first sport and Nick True chose to go to a football camp in the middle of basketball season. Of the sophomores, Todd Ramey and Jackson Hall only play basketball. For every other player, basketball is not their first sport. Kids want to win state championships, and at HHS they should be doing that every year. The problem is there are not many great athletes at HHS. Not even many kids from the football program go on the play college football. Guys like Brandon Roller, who was a very good high school football player, says he is done after high school. As long as football is this successful, the other sports will suffer. There are not enough good athletes to go around.

Guru loves threads that bring on new posters.

Let me correct your errors if I may. Witte, Hinkel and Gronotte are all basketball only kids. In the junior class, Brendan Buten is the lone basketball only player. In the soph class you have Hall, Salter and O'Hara as basketball only. Harris plays golf and Ball plays baseball along with Ramey.

Little confused where you say there are not many "great athletes" at HHS and then talk about the football program taking them. Which is it? Seems like there is some underlying thing here that you want to say.

Let me correct your errors if I may. Witte, Hinkel and Gronotte are all basketball only kids. In the junior class, Brendan Buten is the lone basketball only player. In the soph class you have Hall, Salter and O'Hara as basketball only. Harris plays golf and Ball plays baseball along with Ramey.

Little confused where you say there are not many "great athletes" at HHS and then talk about the football program taking them. Which is it? Seems like there is some underlying thing here that you want to say.

Buten plays baseball too.

I am not sure either? Add 10 frosh and then all the boys currently playing any significant minutes on the 8th grade team play either football/basketball or baseball/basketball and I don't see where any of them will become basketball only kids. They all love football and a few love baseball. I don't see anybody hitching to the basketball only wagon. I know a few hope to play all four years of basketball in high school but they will not do it at the expense of the other sport. I know some will not agree but why! IMO the athletes are those that play both. Could it be detrimental yes but some of the boys playing have that opportunity because others for whatever reason elected not to! List one basketball only kid that truly is exceptional at HHS currently? Some have worked their tails off and have gotten much better at their craft. Truly no superstars to help with the roles and thus they have to develop as a squad!