NKU D1?

malachicrunch

NKU has earned its image as a commuter school. How would the move to D1 change that?

I agree NKU has earned it's rep as a commuter school but I don't think many people realize just how many kids are coming to NKU from Louisville, Central KY and the Tri State area, such as Cinci and Indiana. Louisville and Central KY folks I tend to not notice as much(mostly because they live in dorm and don't complain about traffic as much) but Indy and Cincy folks I'd say I have atleast 1/5 or so from that area in just about all of my classes.

I agree NKU has earned it's rep as a commuter school but I don't think many people realize just how many kids are coming to NKU from Louisville, Central KY and the Tri State area, such as Cinci and Indiana. Louisville and Central KY folks I tend to not notice as much(mostly because they live in dorm and don't complain about traffic as much) but Indy and Cincy folks I'd say I have atleast 1/5 or so from that area in just about all of my classes.

If I really wanted too I could probably find some data on all of that. But I will comment that there has been a much larger increase of Louisville students throughout the past few years.

It's a tough question but I'm sure many who've attended NKU, myself included, have watched D1 basketball games and football games on ESPN, CBS ABC etc etc and wished that we had that at NKU. Just the environment that goes with that type of talent, media coverage and so on. Not to mention that fact that NKU is in Kentucky and across the river from Xavier and UC, they should be able to fill a decent scedule in most sports and maybe join a conference like the MAC or conference USA, gotta start some where.

I agree that you do have to start somewhere. However, the biggest obstacle to sports — well, for men's hoops and football — is that for folks attending NKU, the Norse will never be their first choice. Those folks will always be UK or UC fans first and foremost. I saw it at WKU, which has been D-I forever, but you would still see WKU students cheer against the Toppers if they were playing UK or UofL.

Was on campus this past weekend, and heard they are doing a D1 feasibility study. I think it would be great. Though I really wish they look at football.

As I understand it, this was done 7 or 8 years ago as well. I was told one of the major factors against it (at the time) was the fact that they were primarily a commuter school. Apparently their percentages of scholarship students were not where they should have ideally been either.

As I understand it, this was done 7 or 8 years ago as well. I was told one of the major factors against it (at the time) was the fact that they were primarily a commuter school. Apparently their percentages of scholarship students were not where they should have ideally been either.

Much ado about nothing here. NKU is not moving to Division I anytime soon. No feasibility study underway, no plans moving anywhere near that direction.

CBW is correct with everything he posted. A study was completed six or seven years ago. It was a waste of money, as it basically told officials at the school what they already knew.

I'm just going on what was presented at Black and Gold day last Saturday. The speaker stated that there is an on going D1 feasibilty study. Not sure why they'd make that up?

My question was who was the speaker? If it was one of the tour guides then it was a student who knows nothing about what is going on and is just going on speculation. I once heard one tour guide tell a group of kids that NKU had one of the best college hockey teams in the NCAA...that would be fine if we had hockey as an official sport, BUT its just a low-level club sport that has nothing to do with the Athletic Department at NKU. It all boils down to who you hear the rumors from as to how much value you can put into what they are saying.

And as far as a feasibility study goes, there isn't one going on right now. If there was, believe me when I say I'd know about it.

My question was who was the speaker? If it was one of the tour guides then it was a student who knows nothing about what is going on and is just going on speculation. I once heard one tour guide tell a group of kids that NKU had one of the best college hockey teams in the NCAA...that would be fine if we had hockey as an official sport, BUT its just a low-level club sport that has nothing to do with the Athletic Department at NKU. It all boils down to who you hear the rumors from as to how much value you can put into what they are saying.

And as far as a feasibility study goes, there isn't one going on right now. If there was, believe me when I say I'd know about it.

They had everyone assembled in the Bank Center Arena for a presentation. The young lady on the floor doing the presentation stated that the study was going on when she was discussing NKU athletics. I don't remember her name or her function with the university.

I agree that you do have to start somewhere. However, the biggest obstacle to sports — well, for men's hoops and football — is that for folks attending NKU, the Norse will never be their first choice. Those folks will always be UK or UC fans first and foremost. I saw it at WKU, which has been D-I forever, but you would still see WKU students cheer against the Toppers if they were playing UK or UofL.

I agree, to an extent but alot of that is generational too. If you get one or two generations of parents cheering for an NKU program and being NKU fans then I think that would actually shift some. Not completely by any means, I'm not that naive and those two schools are too established for people to just not acknowledge them. I know I'll always be a UK fan but I will say that I think a shift could happen.

There was a presentation of a study made to the Board of Regents in May 2010 that was conducted by NACDA consulting.

Here are the facts: Moratorium ends August 2011 so they can't even apply until then. T

here is an application fee upwards of $1m.

There must be at least 14 sports offered prior to applying (NKU would need to add a Women's Track and Field team)

There must be more scholarships, current NKU athletic budget is about half of what they would need to be for DI, they would need to increase thier athletics budget by 3.7m.

The report from the consultant found that size, academics, and location were good fits for DI. But would need to increase budget and increase scholarships. The cost of the increase would more than likely be placed on the students and the Board was not ready to make that decision based on the current economic times.

DI is always in the picture at NKU, but right now with the current economic climate of higher education I doubt they make the move right away.

They had everyone assembled in the Bank Center Arena for a presentation. The young lady on the floor doing the presentation stated that the study was going on when she was discussing NKU athletics. I don't remember her name or her function with the university.

It was more than likely a student that was talking at that time so I'd say that she didn't really know what she was talking about. Most of the guides or students who talk to the large groups on days such as Black & Gold Day are people who only go on what they've heard as rumors and run with them as if they were completely true.

I'd love to see this happen it would boost the economy a bit in the NKY area and would be great for the kids that go there and future students. I think their biggest thing holding them back, like many on here have said is that it's viewed as a commuter school.

How large of a boost to the local economy would it be if the like of Valparaiso, Chicago State, New Jersey Institute of Technology, South Dakota, or other mid- to low-level Division I schools would make when they traveled to play here? I don't think as much as people think...probably just as much as the current teams NKU play. If people think the larger named schools are going to come here then you're wrong...with maybe the ONLY exception being Xavier or UC...Kentucky would never play a road game against NKU, Louisville won't play a regular-season game at the BOKC...it's just not going to happen.

And as far as the biggest thing holding NKU back isn't how people view it as a commuter school, it is because the money isn't there to go Division I. NKU would have to pay a $1 million application fee to Division I (this doesn't even guarantee schools will be accepted), increase the annual budget by at least $3.7 million, pay whatever entry fees and annual fees to a new conference, and pay an exit fee out of the Great Lakes Valley Conference.

It was more than likely a student that was talking at that time so I'd say that she didn't really know what she was talking about. Most of the guides or students who talk to the large groups on days such as Black & Gold Day are people who only go on what they've heard as rumors and run with them as if they were completely true.

How large of a boost to the local economy would it be if the like of Valparaiso, Chicago State, New Jersey Institute of Technology, South Dakota, or other mid- to low-level Division I schools would make when they traveled to play here? I don't think as much as people think...probably just as much as the current teams NKU play. If people think the larger named schools are going to come here then you're wrong...with maybe the ONLY exception being Xavier or UC...Kentucky would never play a road game against NKU, Louisville won't play a regular-season game at the BOKC...it's just not going to happen.

And as far as the biggest thing holding NKU back isn't how people view it as a commuter school, it is because the money isn't there to go Division I. NKU would have to pay a $1 million application fee to Division I (this doesn't even guarantee schools will be accepted), increase the annual budget by at least $3.7 million, pay whatever entry fees and annual fees to a new conference, and pay an exit fee out of the Great Lakes Valley Conference.

She wasn't a student, nor was she a guide. She was some sort of administrator. She was the for the welcoming presentation in the arena. Microphone two big screens on the floor. Nice presentation. I will see if she is listed on the itinirary we received. I'm just relaying what was said by this person in front of a very large crowd.